• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi all,

Was just reading in the pinned parts guide and saw someone put up a SIMOTA CAI KIT and its about $133 from melbourne. Anyone out there use this kit? Reviews, pros and cons?

hey guys,

if i be a cheap ***** and buy 3 inch rubber tubing (its engine grade stuff) and plonk a decent k&n pod at the end will it do? what do u reackon?

oh oh and i forgot, but someone is offering me his 2nd hand AEM CAI from Singapore, for about 300 auzzie delvered to me. what do u guys think? and what are the risks of buying a 2nd hand cai?

oh oh and i forgot, but someone is offering me his 2nd hand AEM CAI from Singapore, for about 300 auzzie delvered to me. what do u guys think? and what are the risks of buying a 2nd hand cai?

2nd hand for 300 is expensive.. new is only like 350-400, i got my TRD for 450 some 400. The piping will be ok unless its rusted, but thepod is the main thing, a new K&N pod costs around $100 so u decide.

Rubber tubing CAI will be no good cuz the suction at full throttle and high temps make rubber soft and can deform, you will end up creating more turbulence and worst case choking the engine of air. Rubber also conducts more heat so more hot air. Maybe try high quality silicon. Some intercooler piping is made from silicon andthey are much stronger. Also don't forget your AFM sensor ;)

Edited by ZEEROLLA

• 2 weeks later...

i know of a store that is bringing out a CAI in parramatta or there abouts he said 2 weeks about 4 days ago

he told me its supposed to be an exact replica of the TRD but choice of different filters available in autralia not TRD filter

maybe i might not tell anybody yet so that way they dont run out of them too quickly so i am garunteed one

but you watch everyone probably already knows about it and im boasting over nothing and look like an idiot LOL

Hi all,

Was just reading in the pinned parts guide and saw someone put up a SIMOTA CAI KIT and its about $133 from melbourne. Anyone out there use this kit? Reviews, pros and cons?

I posted that right after getting my simota CAI... it sure makes the car sound good... that's a definite.... as for power gains... that's not a definite... but I guess you could say the same of any CAI on the market... Motoman is right... the Simota seems to be slightly smaller in diameter than other CAIs.... I notice a bit of hesitation in the engine below 3,000rpm, but it's good after that....

As for the filter making a difference, there have been many reviews and articles stating that the air resistance is negligible between brands... adding to that, I've seen an S15 with and without a K&N air filter pull exactly the same power figure on the dyno...

What Melvin said about tuned lengths affecting power gains... that is a possibility... I know with Hondas, you have to be careful about your intake tract length simply because those engines are so finely tuned... adding a CAI on an integra has been shown to decrease power... who knows if it's the same with Toyotas...

My 2c

Hi all,

I posted that right after getting my simota CAI... it sure makes the car sound good... that's a definite.... as for power gains... that's not a definite... but I guess you could say the same of any CAI on the market... Motoman is right... the Simota seems to be slightly smaller in diameter than other CAIs.... I notice a bit of hesitation in the engine below 3,000rpm, but it's good after that....

As for the filter making a difference, there have been many reviews and articles stating that the air resistance is negligible between brands... adding to that, I've seen an S15 with and without a K&N air filter pull exactly the same power figure on the dyno...

What Melvin said about tuned lengths affecting power gains... that is a possibility... I know with Hondas, you have to be careful about your intake tract length simply because those engines are so finely tuned... adding a CAI on an integra has been shown to decrease power... who knows if it's the same with Toyotas...

My 2c

The ECU needs to be tuned. Interesting to note that the C-One cars (Celica and RunX) chose not to have CAIs. Imo, an air filter's primary role is to filter dirt and prevent your engine from breaking down so any respectable hi-flow air filter with godd filtering capabilities is ok. K&N is obviously the most cost effective.

Some engine definitely need a better intake, one example is the latest honda sedan, that car responded so well with intake kit. Stock DC2R intake is basically rampod inside a box complete with cold air inductions. So if the car's intake is good, its hard to make anymore gain out of it, however MUGEN CAI brings out the good and so is Injen.

I do believe the 2ZZ need a better intake than the corolla one. The celica one looks pretty good from picture and looks like that's a better suit for 2zz. As for Simota, well, a reduce in size of piping is not a good idea at all.

a good intake kit is just to make the most out of the engine can do to bring air in, and we all know from factory, to pass all that emission rules, often engines are restricted and not to mention cost cutting. Stage 1 tunings which uses bolt on is just to make the best out of standard engine, and sometimes there isnt much to gain.

Hi all, Good to see that there's still some life left in this old thread.

For those who know, I recently installed a short ram with a simota (oil/cotton) pod in my 1zze (auto).

For the first week it was great! The sound, the (slightly) better throttle response etc etc... Hence the "epic battle" with the Dc5.

But as from 3 days ago I've noticed that the sound is much softer and the car seems to feel like i've gone back to the stock air system.

i've opened the bonnet and checked the SRI and pod and it seems to be ok with no leaks.

Any ideas on why?

Haha then again maybe my poor installation has stuffed something up.

Did you reset the ECU? most important part of installing a CAI im beginning to think...

Btw dont bother with the simota anymore.. especially from Performance Warehouse.. price has gone from $133 to $260 and no ETA on when they are arriving..

Anyone know where to get a CAI kit in melbourne... or are the only options from overseas..

Yeah, I did reset the ECU when I installed,

Which I why I'm wondering if after a week + of driving whether the ECU has compensateted for the pof (sorry if this sounds ignorant... it is!)