Lost all Camry keys - what to do?

nicholasl

Hi all,

Having spent the better part of the day getting quotes between $500 and $800 for a single key replacement I have decided to do a bit of research.

Background: Camry 2000, bought second-hand, without a master-key and with a spare key supplied only. Have recently lost said spare and have been looking at getting a working key remade at a "reasonable" cost.

Toyota have quoted $800, while automotive locksmiths between $500 and $700 for up to two keys (including one master).

I have seen posts all over the internet that may suggest replacing the key barrel, buying a transponder key and then manually reprogramming without resetting the ECU could be the lowest cost option. Does anyone know if this technique will work without an existing master key? If it does, what technical steps are actually necessary to achieve this?

Any other useful suggestions for getting a working key made without a master (or a spare) are, of course, welcome.

does the key have a remote built into it or is the remote seperate? because if it does i suggest you have it genuinely done by Toyota for the extra amount rather than have it done elsewhere.

I assume you're talking about the central locking remote, which in my case is separate. I hadn't checked whether the quoted prices included the remote replacement but AFAIK since it is not a transponder-related feature, I was hoping it wouldn't be costly/difficult to do. Even after the key is made.

there are 2 totally diffrent systems in that year and you have to work out what you have

firstly, there could be a dealer fit alarm/immobilzer. This is relatively easy to bypass/fix as it has nothning to do with the physical key. I can help with data on this system

next is the smart key system. if you lose all the keys, you are stuffed as you cant get the transponder unit wrapped around the igniton lock barell, to talk to the ECU and allow the car to start. to fix this requires a new smart key to be coded into the ECU. According to Toyota this is not posbbile, and you have to buy a new ECU & jey combination, but i have had 1 such unit fixed by a very clever locksmith . Expect anything up to $1000 to solve this

in either case, the Toyota key number is stamped on the inside of the drivers side door lock. you have to take it out of the door to read the 4 digit key. any good locksmith can cut a key with that code

Toyota have quoted $800, while automotive locksmiths between $500 and $700 for up to two keys (including one master).

I have seen posts all over the internet that may suggest replacing the key barrel, buying a transponder key and then manually reprogramming without resetting the ECU could be the lowest cost option. Does anyone know if this technique will work without an existing master key? If it does, what technical steps are actually necessary to achieve this?

Any other useful suggestions for getting a working key made without a master (or a spare) are, of course, welcome.

You might wanna call a few more dealers and get some more quotes. 800 is a bit too much :(