CAI on 4cyl Camry Gen 5 - is it worth it?

hoges

Hi Everyone,

I'm thinking of doing some cheap minor performance mods to my Gen 5 Camry. At this stage I'm thinking of starting with a cold air intake, but is it really worth the $100 odd to put it in? Would I actually notice much of a difference to performance/sound?

The reason why I'm looking at doing this is that it seems to be a relatively easy mod to DIY and is quite cheap. The other option is the rear sway bar, but I have no idea where to start for that yet.

I'm assuming the local autobarn or what not would have CAI kits available?

As you can see, I'm quite noob at this, so any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks.

You will notice a big difference on the engine sound, but in terms of performance, I'd be surprised if you could really tell the difference.

In terms of it being worth it, that's basically up to you. Personally, any time you put a re-usable filter on your car, if you have the car for long enough, it pretty much pays for itself. For example, my DIY intake cost me like $100 in bits including the filter. A genuine stock air filter for this car costs $30. One I go through the distance to cover 4 changes of the air filter, I would have lost no money doing the mod.

You won't get any gains in terms of power, but you might get a gain in fuel efficiency and a Shiite load of noise (assuming you get a pod filter). As Daryl said, the reusable filter will pay off the kit. In the event you can't find a kit for the 2az-fe, you can probably land one from the US or simply keep the airbox and throw in a panel filter.

With regards to the RSB, in terms of handling getting a bigger RSB (I have the 20mm Whiteline, blade adjustable model) will give you the best value for money handling mod you can get. I highly recommend it.

Modding the Gen5 is a little tricky given how few items are available for it.

The car is due for new tyres, 90,000km service and rego within the next few months, so I'm assuming I'll be keeping it a while.

How hard is it to install? From what I understand it's just pulling the old one out and putting the new one in - ie doesn't require any custom fittings.

Looking at this one here:

http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=69-8609TTK

Yeah, it's a few bolts. Nothing difficult BUT are you able to take a few shots (different angles) of the stock airbox?

I know with mine, the vacuum check section is built into the airbox (the Aus Gen5's are wierd) and you will need another part if you go CAI.

Yeah, I'll get some pics when I get a chance later today. It's a 2004 stock Camry Altise 4 cyl with an auto gearbox.

BTW How much are these things normally? For some reason I had it in my head that they were around $200, but what I'm seeing so far is ~$600 based on some old google links? If it's getting that high, it would be more economical to get a RSB installed...

Unless I'm just looking at the wrong thing?

Yeah, I'll get some pics when I get a chance later today. It's a 2004 stock Camry Altise 4 cyl with an auto gearbox.

BTW How much are these things normally? For some reason I had it in my head that they were around $200, but what I'm seeing so far is ~$600 based on some old google links? If it's getting that high, it would be more economical to get a RSB installed...

That seems a little high. Where are you gettin gyour prices from?

That seems a little high. Where are you gettin gyour prices from?

A forum link from 2007. The link below is from August - apparently $750+ from autobarn?

http://auscam.org/forum/camry-talk/cold-air-induction/?action=printpage

I can get it shipped from the US on ebay for around $350, but if I was to do it, I'd need to have it in the next week or so. I might make a few calls tomorrow and see what prices I can get.

Edited by hoges

I've attached the photos of the airbox below, hopefully it's enough. Engine bay definitely needs a bit of a clean though :)

So do I just need the CAI kit, or do I need another part?

BTW thanks for the help so far, much appreciated!

post-9807-0-67332700-1294097392_thumb.jp

post-9807-0-90706400-1294097427_thumb.jp

I've attached the photos of the airbox below, hopefully it's enough. Engine bay definitely needs a bit of a clean though :)

So do I just need the CAI kit, or do I need another part?

BTW thanks for the help so far, much appreciated!

From the pics you have provided, it appears that you will just need the CAI (SRI) kit.

From the first pic, the one of the two plugs (not the airflow sensor one) is hooked up to two tubes which may very well be the vacuum lines.

Worst case scenario is you lose a day getting the part you need from a wrecker/Toyota Genuine

Sounds about right. I just found an installation manual for the kit linked above and my stock box looks identical to it, assuming aus Toyota didn't add anything inside the box itself.

I'm looking at eBay, are there any other places I should be looking at for a decent price? I'm hoping to put it in within the next fortnight if possible.

Sounds about right. I just found an installation manual for the kit linked above and my stock box looks identical to it, assuming aus Toyota didn't add anything inside the box itself.

I'm looking at eBay, are there any other places I should be looking at for a decent price? I'm hoping to put it in within the next fortnight if possible.

For reference, here's what the intake box looks like in the 36 series with the 1mz-fe.

post-14703-0-17127800-1294146622_thumb.j

The vacuum sensor is located in the box as opposed to using a sensor/meter or canister (like the Gen4)

There are heaps of stores in the US who will have it cheap, but eBay isn't a bad way to go.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I've got the parts, pull out the air box only to find... the new heat shield doesn't fit!

For some reason all the pictures I can find have the air intake hose at the bottom on the air box, whereas mine is off to the right a bit.

Any ideas on how to proceed? The heat shield definitely won't fit...