motorbike licence... any advice?

GDAY all..

since ive been in the philippines for almost a month now ive been thinking bout making moves to get my motorcycle riders licence when i get back to sydney.. would definately be a skill i can use when i travel back up here.

does anyone here know anything about the training days you gotta take before you get your riders L's? what types of bikes are best to get started with? im definately not looking for a motorcross type of deal.. something a little more tame that i can get around in.. manual preferably, not auto.

any useful advice would be great!

Jase

Hey Jase,

Congrats on decding to get your bike licence! Stay upright! :yahoo:

Not sure what state your in, but this is generally what happens in NSW (has been some time since i did mine though :P)

Pre-Learners course is a 2day affair. Day 1 is learning bike controls, mount/dismount, head checks etc and basically pushing the bikes about. Day 2 you actually get to start them and ride up to second gear, learn about cornering etc..... There is parts of theory mixed in as well. All in all, its prettty darn easy and if you fail this, maybe you should consider sticking to being a cager :whistling:

Most places will have hire bikes for you to use. These can range from Dirt Bikes, CB250's through to auto scooters.....

I did mine at H.A.R.T in St. Ives... pretty awesome all in all.

Good luck if you go for them anyways :D

Hey Mate,

If your keen on getting your bike license, i hear its a three year wait till you get your fulls. I think its now 6 months for L's then 1 year for red P's then 2 years for green P's. Don't quote me on that since i got my license a few years back. You'll love riding them though, if it wasn't for riding a motor cycle i wouldn't know how to drive a car in manual transmission. Also you'll develop a greater sense of awareness in a car, so at least that skill is transferable. I guess the best thing about a bike, if the adrenaline rush you'll get out of it. The only thing that sucks is, after your on a 250cc for a couple of months you get over the straight line speed pretty quickly, as they lack the lower band power of the bigger super sports and naked bikes. However that should lead you to wanting to learn how to maneuver the bike better, as well as eventually getting a knee down fetish (IMO, still the greatest achievement anyone can get through any form of vehicle).

P.S, when you go down, the instructors act all high and mighty about safety, DO NOT take their words for granted. Also have fun, revving the CB250s till they red line is still some of the best fun i had with a mate while learning to ride. Just make sure you don't treat your bike like that.

As for purchasing a bike, if your after a sports bike, you cant go past the value of the ninja zx250cc, and as for naked bikes, the sv650 is hot, and if you can find the right person...get them to take the limiter off it after a few months so you can have some real fun. Till then, i hope to see you one day down at the national park, where the twisties are more then meets the eye.

Eddie.

No worries mate :)

I did my P's test at a place under James Ruse Drive behind Parramatta speedway...... from memory i think it was called Stay Upright too: http://www.stayupright.com.au/index.htm

I also did both the course and the test at this location. When you pay your money at the RTA for your L's they give you a number to ring (or probably a website these days - the internet had not taken off back then) to find the course locations. I found the instructor I had was realistic and down to earth the key thing that he drummed in to us apart from make sure you buy good gear (helmet, gloves, boots and leathers) was "there is no point being in the right if you are in a coffin". The disturbing thing in going from a car (4.0L six)to a bike (250cc four) was the difference in revs. The car didn't go to 6000rpm where as the bike was not alive below 8,000 (it redlined at 16,000rpm). All in all it was a hell of a lot of fun and I do miss it

Hey mate good decision on getting your bike licence, and also on your side is your over 25 which means you go in as a mature age rider so only have to do your 1 year on red p's then go straight to black licence. I would personally go for a 650 over a 250 as they are gutless and you want something with a bit of power to get you out of trouble if needed. The SV650 is a great bike and do your self a favor and stay away from the Korean brands they are nothing but trouble. Good luck with it all.

Cheers

Peter