03 Stivo+TRD CAI vs 05 Stivo Stock

Haha...don't get me wrong, I'm sure that I'm prolly a worst driver than the both of them.  :P

But I think the best way to tell is to have one good consistant driver to test all the cars with either an RSM or G-Tech thingie.

ahaha that reminds me something in the past

Hey bro...let's not bring up the past yah? It's been a long time and I've since put it behind me and so should you. :P :P

But I think the best way to tell is to have one good consistant driver to test all the cars with either an RSM or G-Tech thingie.

waste of time, if you get ant wheelspin when using either of these your results are stuffed.

Haha...don't get me wrong, I'm sure that I'm prolly a worst driver than the both of them.  :P

ahaha that reminds me something in the past

Hey bro...let's not bring up the past yah? It's been a long time and I've since put it behind me and so should you. :P :P

Ahahaha, yes yes, do not worry

only 1 way to tell if at all there is any difference ..... i.e. a dyno run on the same dyno one after the other + Both stock vs stock as having mods will not give u a true indication.....

Dont forget that pretty much the entire car 05 vs 03 is exactly the same.

Also it wouldnt surprise me if the 05 had higher output only slightly but i wouldnt imagine it would be significant higher output i mean anything between 1,2,3 or even 4 kw is not worth mentioning but if it was more than this then id say this is so toyota stays out of the spot light with this one. Then the factory ecu of the 05 might be slightly tuned better to avoid any further embaressment.

As between the 2 cars the only way to get one quicker than the other is through the electronics advance the timing and also better afr .....

This exact thing was seen in the celica where the 1st version didnt have a good tune in the ecu and then the next revision fixed this..... Simple answer to level the playing field is piggyback or after market ECU

• 1 month later...

id have to say at the end of the day the motor is pretty damn tuned already with lift and all.

but 15.2 and 14.8 is in drag terms still a big gain in power.not huge but definatly a gain.

also if ya wanted bigs gains add a turbo or supercharger thatll make the diff in gain not a CAI.

or add bigger injectors and itll get a fair boost gain aswel.

but itll also be a gas guzzler aswel.

besides i reckon most who by the CAI buy it for cool air induction not for massive power gains. also because they sound wicked lol

thats my 2cents

While on the subject of comparing stock cars...

I cant speak for the stivo but my bro works for a rental car company and gets to drive around brand new cars of all variety, including corollas (not stivos however) and he can vouch for variability in performance of new cars.

He reckons that there is upto ~5kw discrepancies just between vehicles coming straight off the cargo ships. Strangely he is also convinced that my 02 corolla (when it was stock) goes better than any new face lifted corolla he has driven.

Dont know if anyone else has been in a similar position, but perhaps factory variations make it difficult to compare stock cars even if a minor intake mod is involved, because as stated, with NA cars it is hard to get big gains out of basic mods.

its pretty tough to sit in a car and estimate a 5kw difference.. he must have a skill... most machines are the ones that will be able to vouch for the difference .. i know my buttocks cant tell a variable of 1-5kw... :P

sportiv, its an estimate mate, relax.

5kw is not all that much, many people probably wouldnt even notice if their cars gained 5kw. Generally it is noticable however, although it does not make a 1 second difference on a quater mile. Kind of like having a car running on watered down ULP and the same car on high quality 98 octane premium.

When you are driving the same type of car repeatedly i am thinking you would become more discerning as to the performance of each individual vehicle, that is the point i was making, the statistical difference was just a personal estimate by someone who has driven alot of different cars on a regular basis.

It is quite possible for example, to have a stock, same model stivo that pumps out 107kw atw and one that does 112kw atw (there is probably a case of this on these forums). There are so many variables that i think in practice it would be very hard to have every car of the same model get the exact same dyno result as well as be perfectly equal on the road.

sportiv, its an estimate mate, relax.

5kw is not all that much, many people probably wouldnt even notice if their cars gained 5kw. Generally it is noticable however, although it does not make a 1 second difference on a quater mile. Kind of like having a car running on watered down ULP and the same car on high quality 98 octane premium.

When you are driving the same type of car repeatedly i am thinking you would become more discerning as to the performance of each individual vehicle, that is the point i was making, the statistical difference was just a personal estimate by someone who has driven alot of different cars on a regular basis.

It is quite possible for example, to have a stock, same model stivo that pumps out 107kw atw and one that does 112kw atw (there is probably a case of this on these forums). There are so many variables that i think in practice it would be very hard to have every car of the same model get the exact same dyno result as well as be perfectly equal on the road.

I have driven a 05' Corolla 1ZZFE with abt 10,000kms and one right off the boat with 4kms and the one with 4kms drives like it only has 10kw not 100kw!! Floor the thing and it revved very slowly and very noisily, no go at all. I am convinced its got to do with the engine being brand spanking new.

It is quite possible for example, to have a stock, same model stivo that pumps out 107kw atw and one that does 112kw atw (there is probably a case of this on these forums).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: