blown ZRE engine

hey am spewing couldnt make it to the cruise today at kiama etc.

I blew my engine during some tyre slip in 2nd at 4000rpm.

pics are of my block and the hole i have on the side. The zre conrod is very thin. My suzuki GTI (engine for my mini) conrods are thicker than the ZRE have offered. Bit dissapointing for a Toyota.

Have found a new engine with 5000kms, ill strip it down and build in custom forged conrods, pistons and crank. Ill also do some work on the head to make the ports a little bigger etc.

Once im up and running again ill post new dyno results etc. Give me 4-6 months for my next dyno showing.

post-16329-0-20468400-1296382151_thumb.j

post-16329-0-20030200-1296382155_thumb.j

post-16329-0-40500000-1296382159_thumb.j

post-16329-0-10214600-1296382163_thumb.j

post-16329-0-62934700-1296382165_thumb.j

post-16329-0-75143500-1296382168_thumb.j

I think xoom said it was a ticking time bomb at one stage. Hope it goes well

I think xoom was referring to the stock handling aspects of the car when combined with FI. It's a bit of a bugger this happened, but at least it gives you the opportunity to build it stronger.

ouch sorry to hear. I think xoom said it was a ticking time bomb at one stage. Hope it goes well

Yeh i knew i wouldnt last long but i had another 2 months on my guess on its life. Just brought forward my rebuild for a stonger engine. No regrets!! I knew what i am getting into. Not the first time i have smashed a hole in the side of the block. Last one was a rolla also. :-) Like the old saying goes "If its got tits or tyres your gonna have problems" lol

oh also just bought myself a 96 v6 5speed camry to cruise round in during the rebuild. couldnt bear the thought of the bus to work everyday.

Ah bugger, i thought something like this may happen. Im sure next build will be sweeter. You going to use a thicker head gasket too? reduce that compression?

nah going to run with the standard head gasket. Its factory as a 3 layer metal gasket. When i have the new pistons made up it will be designed with a dish to give a lower compression. will loose some kw from doing so but then can increase boost and/or run a bigger turbo once the internals are stronger and then bring better dyno results. Well.... thats the plan i hope it works out. Trial and error. :-)

Pics to me look like it has collapsed a piston as the rod is still intact. Rod damage porlly occurred after the piston has failed. My guess is the bore is going to be badly damaged and if the ZRE's ahve the same bore construction as the ZZE's then the block is a throw away.

Might make a nice coffee table and talking piece in the loungeroom though :(

Pics to me look like it has collapsed a piston as the rod is still intact. Rod damage porlly occurred after the piston has failed. My guess is the bore is going to be badly damaged and if the ZRE's ahve the same bore construction as the ZZE's then the block is a throw away.

Might make a nice coffee table and talking piece in the loungeroom though :(

pis not the best the conrod is only have an inch long still attached to the crank but all else is gone. I hope to strip down the engine on sunday so ill take some better pics with it on the engine stand

ouch dude .... well atleast ppl now know the limitations of the stock setup ...... then again it could have been the tune ...... u never really know with these things ...... anyway will be good to see how it all comes out once u have it all sorted ....... what was that saying i was told once after breaking things myself ....... "because breaking things means progress will soon follow" .......

I think xoom said it was a ticking time bomb at one stage. Hope it goes well

I think xoom was referring to the stock handling aspects of the car when combined with FI. It's a bit of a bugger this happened, but at least it gives you the opportunity to build it stronger.

thx for clarifying on my behalf D ...... yep i wasnt referring to the fact that this would happen but more that once u go FI be sure to also apply the supporting mods.

unlucky,

What was the revlimit set to with the adaptronic? The 1zz stock engines also tend to fall apart when they're tuned lean like yours was and the revlimit is increased. They like to be 11:1 at peak torque and through the top end to keep the ringlands intact.

Edited by CHA54

unlucky,

What was the revlimit set to with the adaptronic? The 1zz stock engines also tend to fall apart when they're tuned lean like yours was and the revlimit is increased. They like to be 11:1 at peak torque and through the top end to keep the ringlands intact.

Revlimit was still the factory set due to the stock internals etc. Car was not running lean after the adaptronic tune. It was tuned sweet as. It ran a bit lean to rich before the proper tune.

I have sourced a company in melb to make me my new pistons and conrods, have already got my new block and head. once the car os back together ill be dumping the electronic drive and going old school cable set up.

Anyone know a good person who can set up the cable drive?

so they tuned it richer than the 12:1 graph you posted? 12:1 is lean on a stock engine like this, it's OK for an engine with pistons and quench designed to run lean when boosted.

You can probably retrofit a ZZE pedal and cable setup. If you adapt a ZZE throttle (1zz or 2zz) then you can use the idle speed control solenoid built into the throttle with the adaptronic. It's a 3 wire (power, signal, ground) so easy to wire in, the ZZE TPS would also be easy enough to adapt for the adaptronic.