used car from dealer

They say that not all used car dealers are bad,but how does one know? If a dealer calls you and says that there has been a lot of activity since you last came and saw the car,does it mean that hes pulling a fast one or were there a lot of people? He also asked me for a $1000 holding deposit for me to have the car inspected. I told him Im not paying anything to have it inspected and if the car gets sold after the inspection its too bad but when Im having it inspected,shows im serious and he should have the courtesy to give me a first go at buying it if im satisfied.I heard that theres no good day to buy a used car and its easier to haggle on a new car.Is that true?

They say that not all used car dealers are bad,but how does one know? If a dealer calls you and says that there has been a lot of activity since you last came and saw the car,does it mean that hes pulling a fast one or were there a lot of people? He also asked me for a $1000 holding deposit for me to have the car inspected. I told him Im not paying anything to have it inspected and if the car gets sold after the inspection its too bad but when Im having it inspected,shows im serious and he should have the courtesy to give me a first go at buying it if im satisfied.I heard that theres no good day to buy a used car and its easier to haggle on a new car.Is that true?

There is a bit of an art to buying a decent car second hand through a dealer. A dealer's willingness to negotiate and drop the price depends on many factors such as type of car/dealership, how long the car has been on the lot, known visible defects with the vehicle, current time of year, his or her star sign etc etc

To me, and this is just my humble opinion, he wants a deposit on a vehicle as he wants you tied into the purchase in case the inspection turns up something bad. Remember though when it comes to buying you have far more rights than they would let you believe and at any stage (even up to immediately after buying it) you can walk away with your money AND deposit intact. Don't ever let a dealer push you around - some have developed a habit of bullying people into a sale and it can also be just to hide a dodgy vehicle. Never buy from such a dealer.

That's my advice.

the best advice i ever got is to be relaxed and to act as if you will find a better car if you had to even if the current item your looking at is exactly what you want , that way if there is any issue with dropping the price or fixing something you just walk away and play hard to get... such as a naughty girl does at a bar :lol:

I put down 1k subject to a RACQ inspection so they know I was serious about buying the car.

If the inspection goes bad, i'll lose the inspection money, but deposit will come back and that's a small price to pay

Can someone tell me is a deposit considered a sale for revenue at the dealer or is it booked when the total purchase price is paid

whitestivo

There is a bit of an art to buying a decent car second hand through a dealer. A dealer's willingness to negotiate and drop the price depends on many factors such as type of car/dealership, how long the car has been on the lot, known visible defects with the vehicle, current time of year, his or her star sign etc etc

To me, and this is just my humble opinion, he wants a deposit on a vehicle as he wants you tied into the purchase in case the inspection turns up something bad. Remember though when it comes to buying you have far more rights than they would let you believe and at any stage (even up to immediately after buying it) you can walk away with your money AND deposit intact. Don't ever let a dealer push you around - some have developed a habit of bullying people into a sale and it can also be just to hide a dodgy vehicle. Never buy from such a dealer.

That's my advice.

Thanks for ur advice mate! Yes I never gave into bullying,so I told him off.I told him that I will get the vehicle inspected w/o any deposit and he can let me know by weekend if the vehicle is still around and then I will arrange for an inspection.After which I will then move onto the next step(haggling) of buying.He was just being a dealer,trying a desperate sale on the last sunday of the month.Now his tone has calmed down and become more accomodating.Ta