Plug and "Play" Traction Control kit

Steven

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

As you all know DJKOR devised a means of deactivating the TCS in the Aurion without throwing any nasty error codes and both he and I have completed such a system in our own cars that works well. The current method is a bit complex and involves a fair bit of wiring and other mods but we are considering developing a plug and play "kit" that would require either none or at least minimal wiring so that others may also benefit from this idea.

To this end we'd like to know how many people are interested and would buy such a kit if it were to become available. As you can imagine a fair bit would be required to make such a kit a reality so we aren't going to take the time developing it until we are sure a market for this mod actually exists.

The "kit" in a nutshell would plug directly into your VSC module in the engine bay and run to our module behind the dash. The kit would use a genuine Toyota TCS switch that fits in the dash to the lower right of the steering wheel. The kit would default to leaving the TCS on every time the car was started for safety reasons.

Whether you're interested or not please vote in the poll so we can at least obtain an idea of the percentage of Aurion owners who would be interested in this kit.

Cheers

Nice! Steven; did you end up finding switches from america? I can contact a couple of mates there and ask them to sus it out for you if you havent cause i dont think they prowl toyotanation anymore.

And outta curiousity, would these kits work on the gen 6 camrys too? If so, that might widen your market a bit more

from what I understand the system would be the same or similar, but the wiring might be possibly different. For starters though just getting an Aurion kit off the ground would be the idea

I think I'd save the cash and do the annoying 'brake pedal/park brake engage disengage engage disengage' procedure to turn off T/C

A switch would definitely be handy, but for me it's like paying for something that's already free

the only issue is that brake/handbrake etc sequence keeps the VSC off until you turn the car off and restart it. The main benefit of this system is that you can switch it on and off at will.

the only issue is that brake/handbrake etc sequence keeps the VSC off until you turn the car off and restart it. The main benefit of this system is that you can switch it on and off at will.

Your point is valid, but I couldn't justify spending that much money on the system, if money wasn't an issue, or if it was much cheaper, then I'd definitely get one

I said no. Not because of the price. The price is fair IMO but I would find no use for it. If the car came off the factory line stock with it included, that would be a plus but even then I wouldn't bother turning it off.

TCS or not, at the end of the day it's still FWD, so what's the point?

There's no need to try and bring up that discussion here which can easily derail the topic. Despite being FWD, there are actually benefits. However, that's not for discussion in here. This thread is here to discuss exactly what the first post describes. It's up to the individual what they want to do with it.

Your point is valid, but I couldn't justify spending that much money on the system, if money wasn't an issue, or if it was much cheaper, then I'd definitely get one

Much the same reason its a no from me. Its like buying bottled water - sure, it takes a bit longer to get water out the tap and chill it in the fridge, but I can't justify $3.50 for a bottle of the same stuff that comes out of my taps for free.

$250 for the kit sounds reasonable considering the effort you guys would be putting into developing it, but for the amount of use I'd get from it, I'd sooner pay that for, say, a stapler. For those that would get the use, though, it seems like a good thing.

It may be a FWD, but its still quicker than your GTFour. ;)

Really appreciate the honest opinions guys - its exactly what we need to hear to determine the feasibility of this idea.

I plan on putting together a real life example so i can gain a better idea of cost, however Daryl is right when he suggests DIY for this kit as being the best option if you're handy and confident enough

Much the same reason its a no from me. Its like buying bottled water - sure, it takes a bit longer to get water out the tap and chill it in the fridge, but I can't justify $3.50 for a bottle of the same stuff that comes out of my taps for free.

$250 for the kit sounds reasonable considering the effort you guys would be putting into developing it, but for the amount of use I'd get from it, I'd sooner pay that for, say, a stapler. For those that would get the use, though, it seems like a good thing.

It may be a FWD, but its still quicker than your GTFour. ;)

Wondered when you'd pipe up, but you post a good point it is fast and more powerful that a awd, making it dangerous for the tcs to be off, I think making a push button to turn all that's keeping the power in the road off would make quite dangerous

Edited by Accendo

Yeah, point the Brooksy. At the end of the day, the safety issue is a bit of a null point, given its really not that hard to turn it off anyway.

Plus being able to turn it off is good. You may or may not know how it goes round and round in circles in a car park in the wet with the TCS off.... not that I know anybody who would do that! Wink wink, nudge nudge.

Wondered when you'd pipe up, but you post a good point it is fast and more powerful that a awd, making it dangerous for the tcs to be off, I think making a push button to turn all that's keeping the power in the road off would make quite dangerous

To try and clear this up, you are using this switch to turn "Traction Control" off. Traction control is primarily used when accelerating from a standstill or when driving on a really slippery surface. As well, the TC is not 'all that's keeping the power in the road', it's your traction provided by your tires that is doing that.

And to say turning it off is dangerous is just as equal as saying having it on is dangerous. Here is a scenario:

You are accelerating to either enter a roundabout or turning across an intersection in busy traffic. You end up having one wheel slip. With TC on, the Aurion then cuts the throttle sharply (which it does do) and you end up entering the roundabout/intersection slower than normal. Picking up acceleration after that as well takes a little bit because it gets bogged down. THIS is a dangerous scenario.

Now lets say TC is turned off. That once wheel may slip, but the other wheel still has traction (due to lack of an LSD). Despite having some slip, you still continue to move, at which the wheelspin most likely would have stopped already. You then enter the roundabout/intersection and clear traffic.

And I will tell you from experience that this does happen.

Besides all that, features like Traction Control and Vehicle Stability Control are driver aides. They are designed to assist good driving practices. You should theoretically never need it in the first place. So to state that it is dangerous to turn it off in the first place means that it's not the process of turning it off that is dangerous, but rather the driving involved.

I appreciate the feedback guys but please keep this thread simple and avoid trying to convince each other of the pros and cons of disabling TCS- at the end of the day we're not looking to convince people either way but to ascertain their person opinion as to whether they would or would not purchase such a kit if it were to become available. We aren't so naive to believe this kit is for everyone and depends largely on what the individual wants out of their vehicle just as with any other mod available.

Done - Cheers mate.

Further this brings up the question - Now we know that the kit would only disable TCS and ABS, does the handbrake/footbrake method disable the VSC system in it's entirety? If so that would make this kit actually a little bit safer than any of the other methods.

Done - Cheers mate.

Further this brings up the question - Now we know that the kit would only disable TCS and ABS, does the handbrake/footbrake method disable the VSC system in it's entirety? If so that would make this kit actually a little bit safer than any of the other methods.

Tis a good question indeed. In the times I have disabled TC via the brake method, I had never used that opportunity to try and get the car sideways. So I can't really answer that one there... yet.

I wont go off topic and just say that I voted yes, (my own reasons for it) as I believe that it's a very fair price for a "plug and play" sort of kit, as I would be very paranoid of cutting into the factory wires. I can see a greater cost being caused on my part though....tyres whistling.gif

Lets say the biggest car making in the world are complete idiots.

I buy car from them with just about every safety or drivers aid available and I think I know better. What will I do?

I'll start disabling them because they are only needed when I am being lazy, cause I am a better driver that anyone else. One problem!!

The person in the other car who isn't as good as I think I am, losses control and is all over the road coming towards me. What will I do now?

I know in a split second I will (1) turn them back on, (2) loss control due to turning the wheel sharply, (3) brake hard not remembering the ABS doesn't work, (4) have no idea.

Disabling the options you paid for, for any reason makes as much sense as disabling the airbags cause you have been driving for 40 years and never had an accident.

I wouldn't buy the mod.

Here's another reason what are you going to tell your insurance company, police, judge, because if they find out and you have had an accident and are responsible and you hurt or kill someone you are history.

If you do this mod, do me a favor turn your hazard light on whilst you are driving around. This way I will know I may need to be more cautious around you.

If you spin the wheel/s whilst entering a roundabout in the wet, you never had enough time or room to complete it safely. Traction control is designed for e.g aquaplaning whilst driving at normal speeds not for sprint starts.

Edited by fuel miser

Lets say the biggest car making in the world are complete idiots.

I buy car from them with just about every safety or drivers aid available and I think I know better. What will I do?

I'll start disabling them because they are only needed when I am being lazy, cause I am a better driver that anyone else. One problem!!

The person in the other car who isn't as good as I think I am, losses control and is all over the road coming towards me. What will I do now?

I know in a split second I will (1) turn them back on, (2) loss control due to turning the wheel sharply, (3) brake hard not remembering the ABS doesn't work, (4) have no idea.

Disabling the options you paid for, for any reason makes as much sense as disabling the airbags cause you have been driving for 40 years and never had an accident.

I wouldn't but the mod.

Here's another reason what are you going to tell your insurance company, police, judge, because if they find out and you have had an accident and are responsible and you hurt or kill someone you are history.

If you do this mod, do me a favor turn your hazard light on whilst you are driving around. This way I will know I may need to be more cautious around you.

If you spin the wheel/s whilst entering a roundabout in the wet, you never had enough time or room to complete it safely. Traction control is designed for e.g aquaplaning whilst driving at normal speeds not for sprint starts.

Honestly mate, this has zero to do with the topic at hand... If you don't like the idea of being able to disable driver aides then that is fine, but don't go cluttering up the thread.

I personally disagree with your reasoning entirely, but that is a discussion for a different thread.

Well actually it does.

I talked about disabling aids, the topic asks if I wanted to buy a mod to disable aids.

I said "I wouldn't buy it"

Daryl talked about the advantage of having traction control disabled, I addressed his comment.

I addressed the possible outcomes of an accident. Maybe not quite on topic, but something that a potential buyer should know.

Maybe you should re-read my post.

Always a joy to be involved in a forum where it's OK to have an opinion as long as it doesn't conflict with other. Lets praise the democratic society we live in that allows freedom of speech.