Noisy rear suspension

Denni

G'day

Thanks for the interesting reading.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice with an annoying problem.

I have a persistent rattle/knock coming from the left rear suspension on mt 2009 ATX, it only started recently and seems to have happened after a rather loud bang came from underneath the car - sounded like I had driven over a screwdriver.

It has been back to the local dealer a couple of times:

First time - told me that there were stoned lodged around the heat shield on the muffler - clearly treated me like a complete idiot.

Second time - told me that they replaced some plastic clips holding the bumper bar on, and removed the rear seat to refit some wiring.

After both attempts the problem is still there.

The noise is evident when the suspension is traveling over a series of short sharp bumps, like road corrugations and sometimes it also does it when driving over joins in concrete roads.

To me it sounds like the rear shock has packed up, the dealer has assured me that there is nothing broken or loose under the car.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience or has some advice as to what I should keep in mind when I take it back for the 3rd attempt.

The car has 58000km on it.

Thanks for you any advice.

G'day

Thanks for the interesting reading.

I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice with an annoying problem.

I have a persistent rattle/knock coming from the left rear suspension on mt 2009 ATX, it only started recently and seems to have happened after a rather loud bang came from underneath the car - sounded like I had driven over a screwdriver.

It has been back to the local dealer a couple of times:

First time - told me that there were stoned lodged around the heat shield on the muffler - clearly treated me like a complete idiot.

Second time - told me that they replaced some plastic clips holding the bumper bar on, and removed the rear seat to refit some wiring.

After both attempts the problem is still there.

The noise is evident when the suspension is traveling over a series of short sharp bumps, like road corrugations and sometimes it also does it when driving over joins in concrete roads.

To me it sounds like the rear shock has packed up, the dealer has assured me that there is nothing broken or loose under the car.

I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience or has some advice as to what I should keep in mind when I take it back for the 3rd attempt.

The car has 58000km on it.

Thanks for you any advice.

Don't take it back to the dealer. Take it to a suspension shop who know their way around a car's suspension. Most of them offer a free suspension check; and you could probably get out of them a list of reasons why x/y part needs to be replaced.

Think of a dealer as a 'jack of all trades, master of none'.

I agree with Andrew take it to somewhere like Pedders and get a suspension check done then armed with the info provided head back to Toyota and get them to fix it.

might be the screws connecting the shockers to the chassis body being loose. A similar thing happened to my old Ford Falcon-reached the shockers and tightened its screw up which fixed the problem. Just need to have a look when taking the rear seats off.

Hey mine does it too! It sounds like its coming from the back right side. Usually when im reversing out of my driveway which has small bumps where the concrete joins! Ive only noticed it recently. Ill be trying to take it to my mechanic soon. Ill keep you posted with what mine is.

This may be completly stupid, but have you checked that the wheel spanner and/or tool kit are secure? Ive had mine rattle loose a few times and it made an annoying sound inside the car... Just a thought, ignore this post if its the wrong type of sound.

Hi guys

Thanks for the input.

I also thought of something loose in the boot so removed EVERYTHING and still it rattles.

Have since spoken to the local dealer who is going to have ANOTHER look at it when it goes in for service early in March.

Whilst I'm a little frustrated with the rattle I'm also very pleased with the level of service and professionalism displayed by my local Toyota Dealer in Dubbo, they have looked after my last car (2003 Camry Altise) and only once had cause to return it after service.

I'll carry on with them and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Hi guys

Thanks for the input.

I also thought of something loose in the boot so removed EVERYTHING and still it rattles.

Have since spoken to the local dealer who is going to have ANOTHER look at it when it goes in for service early in March.

Whilst I'm a little frustrated with the rattle I'm also very pleased with the level of service and professionalism displayed by my local Toyota Dealer in Dubbo, they have looked after my last car (2003 Camry Altise) and only once had cause to return it after service.

I'll carry on with them and let you know what happens.

Thanks again for your thoughts.

Ahhh see mine's like one little thud as I go over the bump. Its not enough for my passengers to notice. I only notice it cause im so picky.