Camry Hybrid KM's from Full Tank

Clem

Hey guys,

We just bought a Camry Hybrid, and just wanted to see what other owners are getting from a full tank? Just a ballpark figure, nothing specific, from Fill up to Fuel light.

I got around 750KM's from our first tank (still running the car in with <1000km' on ODO) and the computer says I drive at about 7.9/100km on avg, have been driving normally not flooring it. I think this is a little high for a car that advertises ~6L/100. But I guess running the car in would involve chewing more fuel? Care to share your experiences?

Whats your L/100 on avg and KM's u get from a full tank of fuel til lights up?

Cheers :)

I can't quite contribute to the figures, but out of curiosity, when you calculated a 7.9l/100km average, was that mostly city or highway driving? You will find that you get greater economy out of a hybrid with city driving with frequent stopping with gradual braking.

Not sure if it's any help but I found with mine (bought it new, Aurion) that it was using fuel at a rather high rate for a while (can't remember, may have been around the 1500km) and then all of a sudden each tank it used less and less fuel, as if it just needed to be ran in. I was only doing highway driving and getting figures of about 12L/100km but now I get on average about 8.5L/100km with a mix of city and highway, also mixing careful and leadfoot driving

Wow your getting 8.5l/100? You got a manual or auto? Damn I should of just gotten an aurion cause my i4 camry is getting round 9-9.5l per 100 with 3/4 led foot driving

Camry Hybrid: Auto only

Aurion: Auto only

Your question answers itself.

Heres the Stats from Redbook

Fuel Urban (l/100km - 6.9

Fuel Extra Urban (l/100km) - 5.4

Fuel Combined (l/100km) - 6.0

It Depends on the driving conditions air con, driving style, along with Highway and city driving....

750 km is still ok i guess. A friend of mine gets approx 750- 800 Km from both highway and city driving.

Sometimes you can't really rely on factory claims/figures. Martinj, 3l/100km should only apply to small hybrids such as the Prius. Camry's are big, so 6lt/100km to me is bloody good enough.

within the last week i have spoke to two oh our HSD Camry owners (interesting enough both about the Smart start/Access system) and one who used to own a diesel i30 consistently gets 6.2 L/100 which he is impressed by as his small smaller i30 averaged 5.8 he loves it an cant praise it enough, the other owner weirdly enough is a older gent who averages 7.0 but does a bit of highway driving as they live out of town and he tells me he doesn’t drive it any different to any other car he’s had and from what he and his wife was saying he’s quite a lead foot, so if your average somewhere is the sixes i think your doing well? You have a large sedan with plenty of get up and go that uses around the same as a Yaris! But much quieter smoother, and a better handling vehicle.

private number

Posted 18 February 2011 - 09:56 AM

Wow your getting 8.5l/100? You got a manual or auto? Damn I should of just gotten an Aurion cause my i4 camry is getting round 9-9.5l per 100 with 3/4 led foot driving

Aurion engine drop in my camry? Lmao jks, not baller enough.

age old story this one, in certain environments the Aurion is actually much better on fuel than Camry, if you’re a bit of a lead foot likes to get away from the mark and up to speed quickly and really making the Camry rev to get you there you'd find the Aurion would be more relaxed and wouldn’t have to work as hard to extract the same amount of performance therefore could prove to be better on juice in this particular example.

• 2 months later...

Exactly 4 months now with my baby TCH at 9,500km and counting ^.^

About last month the FC improved to 5.0L/100km on pure highway (measured 35*2km on M4) and 5.8L/100km city-driving.

Perhaps I've learnt to maximize the batt. Google for the "step and glide".

Exactly 4 months now with my baby TCH at 9,500km and counting ^.^

Hey mate, good to see a fellow Whirlpoolian on TOC. Our Hybrid Camry turns one year old this month, and we've clocked around 21K.

About last month the FC improved to 5.0L/100km on pure highway (measured 35*2km on M4) and 5.8L/100km city-driving.

Perhaps I've learnt to maximize the batt. Google for the "step and glide".

Yeah step and glide is definitely the way to drive them. Best we've done is 5.2l/100km, currently we average low 6s. Unfortunately some of that fuel usage is the result of living on a mountain with a very steep grade climb, which doesn't bother the HC performance-wise.

Edited by pinzvidz

• 3 months later...

I think I might be the person that Adamsy was talking about who used to have the i30 Diesel

I was actually averaging 5.4-5.5 LPH in the i30 but it was a manual and obviously quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Hybrid.

The average economy of our Hybrid has crept up to 6.5 over the winter but the i30 was thirtier in the winter than it was in the summer too...

I got in the habit of driving economically with the CRDi and work pretty hard to keep the Hybrid running on electric where ever the opportunity arises. I reckon I could get down to 6.0 in flater places..like South Australia where many drivers get better than 5.0 in the Diesel i30's

Still very happy with most aspects of the the Hybrid (and the excellent local Toyota dealer) ;-)

Edited by Dazzling_Darryl

I think I might be the person that Adamsy was talking about who used to have the i30 Diesel

I was actually averaging 5.4-5.5 LPH in the i30 but it was a manual and obviously quite a bit smaller and lighter than the Hybrid.

The average economy of our Hybrid has crept up to 6.5 over the winter but the i30 was thirtier in the winter than it was in the summer too...

I got in the habit of driving economically with the CRDi and work pretty hard to keep the Hybrid running on electric where ever the opportunity arises. I reckon I could get down to 6.0 in flater places..like South Australia where many drivers get better than 5.0 in the Diesel i30's

Still very happy with most aspects of the the Hybrid (and the excellent local Toyota dealer) ;-)

Absolutely spot on i was using your great example. :) & I’m very pleased to hear your dealings with us have being excellent ones :)

• 2 weeks later...

I've done about 1,700 km since I bought my Hybrid Camry almost two months ago. Mostly driving around Sydney suburbs with one trip to the Blue Mountains and one down the coast. The dashboard display shows 6.4 L/100km but fuel purchases show it to be more like 6.7 L/100km.

The refills have been around 750km but the light not yet on fulltime.

Steve.

Edited by stevethompson

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Had mine for less than a week and done 1200km... Driving it like i would any other car except around town (60kph zones using the step/glide technique)

1st full tank got me 774km with the fuel light on... worked out to 6.97lt / 100km....

Very happy with the car so far... I dont have to pay for the fuel, but i find myself trying to get as low useage as I can... I reckon if i can average less than 7L/100km im doin well...

Another 725km and got it down to 6.56l/100km bit more highway this time and more cruise control use... light wasnt on, but was near servo so filled up.. still had 120km to go by the trip computer..

I've now done 5,100 Km. Average from the display is 7.01 L/100Km. Correcting for inaccuracy in the speedometer and odometer gives 6.86 L/100Km. Most of my driving is around Sydney suburbs, using 91 octane E10. I've just completed a trip from Sydney to Mudgee and return, using 95 octane. Display showed 5.6 L/100Km.

Steve.

I feel the readings on the car is far from being accurate. My tivo (the model before the 09 tuning for better fuel consumption) reads between 11-12L/100km which is far from the 9.9 stated by Toyota. however what i find was when i took the car on the freeway it drops down to 10L/100km (took a freaking long time to do so too) AND it remained around there even during city driving.

Have tried 91, E10 and 95 RON but cannot find any difference in the readings.

Luckily for me, the joy of driving my car leaves little to complain about fuel.

Had mine for less than a week and done 1200km... Driving it like i would any other car except around town (60kph zones using the step/glide technique)

1st full tank got me 774km with the fuel light on... worked out to 6.97lt / 100km....

Very happy with the car so far... I dont have to pay for the fuel, but i find myself trying to get as low useage as I can... I reckon if i can average less than 7L/100km im doin well...

The fuel light is very conservative on the Camry, mine typically comes on with around 15-16L of fuel to go. Full tank is 65L so your calculated L/100km may be a bit higher than actual. I use an app call fuel log on my Android, it'll give you a much better estimate of your economy. You can always calculate yourself from your fuel dockets and odometer readings too... I get around 5.7L/100km as calculated by Fuel Log doing 80km round trip each day (2/3 highway), with short 16km local trips sometimes since purchase. The car readouts are usually 0.2-0.4L less.

If you want to be even more accurate in your fuel economy calculations, you need to start with accurate distance readings. My odometer is about 2% out. (My speedometer is about 4% out.) Compare the odometer reading with the distance reported by a GPS or calculated with Google Maps or Whereis. Secondly, record your fuel purchases. Then run the lot through a spreadsheet. And note the type of fuel that you buy each time. There's a big difference in fuel usage between 91E10 and 95UL.

Steve.

If you want to be even more accurate in your fuel economy calculations, you need to start with accurate distance readings. My odometer is about 2% out. (My speedometer is about 4% out.) Compare the odometer reading with the distance reported by a GPS or calculated with Google Maps or Whereis. Secondly, record your fuel purchases. Then run the lot through a spreadsheet. And note the type of fuel that you buy each time. There's a big difference in fuel usage between 91E10 and 95UL.

Steve.

Yeah, the type of fuel used changes mine averages. I did a series of fills with different fuel over 2 cycles (2 tanks for over 2000km) and found significant difference in $/km between E10 and 91, but very little difference between 91 and 95 (ie. $/km for E10 > 91 >= 95) . From that little experiment, I take 95 over E10 always now as in NSW 91 is being phased out...