Camry Hybrid KM's from Full Tank

Clem

If you want to be even more accurate in your fuel economy calculations, you need to start with accurate distance readings. My odometer is about 2% out. (My speedometer is about 4% out.) Compare the odometer reading with the distance reported by a GPS or calculated with Google Maps or Whereis. Secondly, record your fuel purchases. Then run the lot through a spreadsheet. And note the type of fuel that you buy each time. There's a big difference in fuel usage between 91E10 and 95UL.

Steve.

Yeah, the type of fuel used changes mine averages. I did a series of fills with different fuel over 2 cycles (2 tanks for over 2000km) and found significant difference in $/km between E10 and 91, but very little difference between 91 and 95 (ie. $/km for E10 > 91 >= 95) . From that little experiment, I take 95 over E10 always now as in NSW 91 is being phased out...

Don't think I would touch the e10 fuels. Heard and seen way to many horror stories.

Also see below posted in kluger section.

They did a recent experiment on this on tv.

Was one of the better experiments done with fuels as they allowed for various outside influences, even fuel in pump/lines etc. (below link explains it all)

In short the 98 fuels cost you less per tank even allowing for the additional pump price. And this is before you even take into account the added cleaners, and how much better it is for your engine overall.

The worst by far was e10 fuel, the sting to economy made it worse than 98 price wise!

Most people only look at the pump price sadly, and will swear black and blue that their fuel choice is smarter despite any real evidence. They end up costing themselves more!!

http://aca.ninemsn.com.au/money/8238850/aca-sunday-which-petrol

Edited by wilsact

had the car since Dec 30 2011, now done approx 13,000 km in it... on average, im getting 6.9... had it as low as 6.1 from a couple of trips over the weekend (697km used a tad over 42lt) and a qtr of a tank to go would of seen another couple of hundred at least with some still in reserve..

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I have had 3 refills so far for my 2012 TCH HL:

1. 963km 56.37L (5.5 L/100km shown)

2. 642km 38.36L (5.5 L/100km shown)

3. 1010km 57.46L (5.4L/100km shown)

Considering 65L fuel tank, the low fuel light comes on very early and I started ignoring it. I can usually drive another 100km after the cruise range becomes 0km.

• 1 month later...

Only just bought my HL and have had it only 4 days

so far very happy with it

Fuel wise it's done 500km and still has over half a tank left

computer says 640km till empty @ 5.9l/100km

that was mostly highway driving and some spirited city driving

I like to race people, I used to have a twin turbo six now bought this.

I did borrow a level 1 hybrid demo from the car dealer before my purchase

and it had an average of 6.1l/100km on the computer

My average has dropped to 5.3-5.4L/100km on the computer (which means 5.5-5.6L/100km in real world). I usually ignore the fuel light. I refuel after 100km when the cruise range becomes 0km. I consistently refuel about 60L fuel in that way, which means there are still 5L left in the tank. My refuel range is about 1040km.

Great km/litre pompom. Should you be running your tank down so far before refuelling? It is my understanding that the fuel pump is in the tank, and relies on the fuel for cooling, hence the rather conservative fuel warning light. Others more knowledgeable than I may wish to comment.

I have now done about 12,500km, and my indicated average for the last 6,000 is 5.8 - add about 0.2 for realworld figure. There is a lot of highway in that, and quite a few 1 km trips with a cold engine. Also, the a/c is always on, and I never use Eco mode. It makes little or no difference in my kind of use (I have done comparisons) and I prefer to have full response on tap at all times.

Regards, coolscan.

Hi,

I haven't been on for ages.. I have just traded our 12/09 build MY10 Camry Hybrid Luxury for a new 2012 Camry Hybrid H (which we hope to pick up on Friday 28th September (2 more sleeps) :-)

Have been very happy with our existing car (no warranty issues in nearly 60,000 kms) Averaging 6.3 Lph in warmer months and 6.5/6.6 in the winter (wet roads and colder temperatures make a noticeable difference) Running it down to O km cruising left can just squeeze 900kms out of a tank.. Hoping to make the magic 1000 out of the 2012 model.

Getting excited now as the power of the 2012 Hybrid is awesome. Got Rear Spolier and rear parking sensors + Syle visors and stuff thrown in with the deal and will be adding Driving/fog lights from America via Ebay + Neoprene seat covers and a few other goodies (trying to get it closer to the spec of our existing Luxury) wasn't prepared to fork out the extra for a HL

P.S. Did 5000km Trip from Melbourne to the Sunshine Coast and back over 2 weeks in March this year and got a displayed average of 6.1 (only used about $440 worth of fuel) The Hybrid went flawlessly .. they are a very much underrated vehicle

Edited by Dazzling_Darryl

• 2 weeks later...

We have a 2012 Cmry Hybrid H and get over 1000KM city driving 4.9L/100 haven't done any extensive Highway work yet but I'm very impressed with this vehicle. Oh and that is using E10 from day 1 so I reckon I could do a bit better.

Edited by viper101

• 3 weeks later...

I've done about 1300 kms in my 2012 Hybrid H now and when I filled to the brim came up with 1108Km to empty :-))

BTW I wouldn't brim if I wasn't doing a good drive straight away.

Indicated average at this stage is 5.7 LPH (which fits with my manual calculations) Roughly 50/50 City/rural driving ...

Previous 2010 Hybrid mostly sat around the 6.3 LPH mark under the same conditions (used to get around 900 Kms out of a tank with best of about 940)

Looks like cracking the 1000km will be easy with the 2012 one (it is really handy having a range like that) B)

What tire pressures are you running, what fuel are you using? Do you live in a hilly part of Victoria? are you doing mainly City or Country miles?

I gently get up to speed then feather the accelerator to keep it there. Don't have to make a concious effort now.

Seem to have developed a knack to keeping it in EV mode for extended periods and getting it to stop completely at most intersections etc..

what are the recommended / tested ways to get maximum economy from the new 2012 camry

what fuels are best to use E10, 91, 95?

What tyre pressures ?

to Eco or not to Eco ?

how to coast and when to press the EV mode?

has anyone got any tips and done any experiments

I only just got mine and on the first tank of 91 averaged 6.3 lph

now on the second tank with 95 and can't get it lower then 8.3 lph after 300km

Hi Radio,

I am running 34 PSI in the tyres which seems a good compromise between economy and ride .. The Michelins on the H must have stiffer sidewalls than the Dunlops and Goodyears I ran my previous 2010 Hybrid Luxury as I feel the rough roads more. Not sure about the Bridgestones? on your HL.

I have experimented with the EV button.. I think it is a bit of a gimic as it will switch to EV by itself at under say 50kph on flat ground if the battery has reasonable charge. Probably the only time I will use it is cruising around multi level car parks or moving from one part of the CBD to another.

I would like to enjoy the full power all the time (eg having ECO turned off) but from a few short experiments, it does push the fuel use up especially if you are a "racer" ;-)

The eco button does take the edge off the performance but still acceptable for me and when mine sits on 5.7 average then I reap the benefit of the compromise at the pumps

My 2010 Hybrid seemed to like E10 so it probably ended up with that every 2nd fill. I have just put some E10 in the new H but haven't driven enough with it yet to see if any performance or economy difference to the 91 I topped up with earlier.

I don't believe the e10 adversely effected my economy in the 2010 model and if anything made her feel a bit zippier?

Due to work and other commitments I am expecting to do at least 3000kms in the next 4 weeks so will have a better idea after that.

going to work there is a slight rise uphill. going home its slight downhill.

i use 91 octane. E10 not a fan in my old xr6 it chewed it up faster than 91 octane so the cost benefit was not there.

Haven't checked the tyre. they guy that put the front new tyres recommended I put them to 40 psi, so I assume thats what their at.

Also today First time i noticed the battery icon nearly empty and the engine started to rev(i was in stop start traffic this morning)

mixo

p.s this eco button people talk about. is this in the new 2012 model or on all models?

p.s this eco button people talk about. is this in the new 2012 model or on all models?

on the 2010 model there is an eco button on the right side of the dash behind the steering wheel, but that is only to limit the effect of the air con and doesn't effect the engine performance.

The 2012 has an eco mode (and an EV button as well) in the centre console just in front of the gear selector. The eco mode tones down the performance to just a little better than my 2010 model, but seems to give me about .6 LPH better economy average (than the 2010 Hybrid)

A couple of short tests would suggest if you drove with eco mode off (which feels real zippy :-) ) you would probably lose the better economy that the 2012 has over the previous generation :-(

The EV button sort of locks the car into electric only mode but only until you put your foot down a bit (exceed say 50Kph) or the battery gets depleted (it is ok if you are just ticking along around the CBD or moving around a large car park looking for a spot or something though.

Hi Dazzling_Darryl,

I also find my HL (with Bridgestone Turanza 55 profile 17's) is overly firm, especilly at low speeds. I had been hoping to change to Michelins when they wear, and maybe improve things; perhaps it won't help. The suspension has been stiffened. Below is from toyota press kit release.

"The new-generation Camry Hybrid has a unique, Australian-developed suspension and steering calibration.

The development goal was similar to that of new petrol Camry - improved ride comfort coupled with greater agility.

However, the hybrid model suspension tuning reflects its unique weight distribution.

Toyota Technical Center Australia (TTC-Au) developed the new calibration - just one of its roles in the five-year development program for seventh-generation Camry.

The TTC-Au software group develops motor generator control software for Toyota's hybrid vehicles globally, including for the Australian Camry Hybrid.

The new Camry Hybrid has revised spring rates, compared with the current generation.

Front spring rate has been increased by two per cent while rear spring rate has been decreased by six per cent - to meet the development target of improved rear-seat ride comfort.

Front rebound damping has been increased compared with current generation Camry Hybrid, with a 19 per cent increase at low damper input velocities (for improved body control) and a five per cent increase at high damper input velocities.

The front compression damping curve is similar to new-generation petrol Camry, but with an eight per cent increase in firmness at all damper velocities.

Rear rebound damper rates have been significantly increased, by 12 per cent at low damper velocities and by 27 per cent at high damper velocities.

The rear compression-damping curve is 17 per cent firmer at low damper velocities and eight per cent firmer at high input speeds.

Camry Hybrid has a new, quicker steering ratio for improved vehicle agility and a new electric power-steering map."

Most cars are tending towards a firmer ride these days. Also, if one wants to spend a little extra on a luxury vehicle, one will be lumbered with large wheels and low profile tyres that are totally unsuited to much of Australia's road system (my perennial gripe). One can choose a big-wheel option on a base car, but not a smaller-wheel option on a luxury model. They must think our roads are improving, not deteriorating!

Hi David,

Yes, like you say it is ironic that they put lower profile tyres on the more luxury model. Generally the ride is quiet and comfortable but the H on 16" Michelins tends to shudder a bit if you hit a broken up patch of bitumen, where the 2010 Hybrid luxury on 16" Dunlop 300e Tyres didn't :-/

So I think their suspension tuning was not all that good.. That minor fault with the ride and the ugly steering wheel buttons (the 2010 model had a nicer steering wheel) are probably the biggest criticisms I have with the latest generation car. They have improved it in a lot of other areas though.

I wasn't overly taken with stitched dashboard which is a bit of a "dodge podge" but that looks better with dash mat in my opinion. I also found the styling of the H a bit bland but now I have a spoiler on it plus driving lights, Hybrid decals and tinted windows think it looks pretty schmick :-)

Hybrid2_zpsfc600a59.jpg

Hybrid5_zpsf3e6becd.jpg

and here is my distance to empty reading :-)

Range_zps9a2c79fa.jpg

Edited by Dazzling_Darryl

Hi Daz,

Nice pics, car looking really nice. Congrats.

I'm running 33-34 psi at present, and tyres seem to be wearing evenly, with little wear evident at 16 Kkm. Average fuel consumption is 6.0, but mainly highway and quite a few 1 km hops. Also I rarely use ECO, and never turn the A/C off.

I'm waiting to see if the 10W- 30 oil they used at the service will increase consumption. So far, I have noticed that in the first 5-10 minutes of a trip consumption figures seem to be higher than pre-service; but with these cars the figures for any given trip (up to say 50km, anyway) seem very dependent on whether one starts with a warm or cold motor, and a full or empty battery.Time will tell.

Regards, David.

Thanks David :-)

Did over 700 kms on the weekend, hills and headwinds sure push the fuel use up on the highway but she liked cruising around Hobart which offset this a bit..

A lot of our highway is 110Kph limit which I tend to "use" so I suppose the fact the overall average for the 2200 kms we have now travelled has sneaked up to 5.8 LPH is not so bad (One tank E10 / one tank 91 unleaded)

2010 Hybrid Luxury. Long term average of 5.6L/100km calculated using petrol filled, not trip computer, on my daily commute to Sydney CBD along the M5. Just switched to Michelin XM2 and getting low 5s so far. Tyre pressure 38-40 psi. Use air con whenever needed in winter and summer.

• 3 weeks later...

Picked up a new hybrid camry H last tuesday did 883 km from the first tank before filling up 53 litres

Works out to 6/L 100km with 50/50 in town and freeway with still 12/L left in the tank, the fuel light comes on very early like a lot of new cars.

Would easy get 1000 out of a tank, i put bp 98 in will see if it makes a difference.Ps all driving in normal mode dont like the eco.

Edited by blue12

Picked up a new hybrid camry H last tuesday did 883 km from the first tank before filling up 53 litres

Works out to 6/L 100km with 50/50 in town and freeway with still 12/L left in the tank, the fuel light comes on very early like a lot of new cars.

Would easy get 1000 out of a tank, i put bp 98 in will see if it makes a difference.Ps all driving in normal mode dont like the eco.

6 is good with the eco button off (I'm averaging 5.8 over 4500kms since new)

I am used to driving with the eco button on (still climbs hills with ease and easy passing too )