New guy here with Toyota Celica

Nackerz

Hey guys,

Just signed upto the forum.

Hope you guys can help me out a little with the celica.

First off, Its a 1988 Toyota Celica SX Twin Cam 2.0L

Can anyone please shed some light on what the engine is? Is it a 3S-FE, 3S-GE

I know its a 2 L and a SX Twin Cam as it says on the body lol...

Thanks Nackerz

Welcome, I think it may be 3sge, don't quote me on that, I'm not 100 percent sure...

I had an '87 Camry with a 3sfe engine, I'm pretty sure that the celica had the 3sge, because you could also get a 3sgte for the celica for the GT model

Hey mate, Thanks for the reply...Yeah im not sure either as I had a look on wikipedia and it said either 3sfe or 3sge

Its more than likely going to be a 3SGE.

From memory, two trim levels were offered here in aus

ST - Base model, 4 stud hubs 3SFE

SX - Upmarket model, 5 stud hubs 3SGE

You could always look on your build plate, which should be on the firewall.

Or, if you look under the hood and see something like this;

0.jpg

Thats a 3SGE

or if you see this

2820_11lo.jpg

Thats a 3SFE

Well hey guys.. I had a look and its a 3S-GE...So I read on wiki thats its the better motor out of the 2?

Anyone here have a workshop manual on the engine??

Going to respray her and give it a complete rebuild. Then maybe sell it.... Who can tell me what its worth?

I will throw some pics up of her. It has 304,000 K's on the clock.

Cheers guys Nackerz

Well hey guys.. I had a look and its a 3S-GE...So I read on wiki thats its the better motor out of the 2?

Going to respray her and give it a complete rebuild. Then maybe sell it.... Who can tell me what its worth?

Cheers guys Nackerz

It wont be worth heaps tbh... and 304k is quite a bit

Cheers guys Nackerz

It wont be worth heaps tbh... and 304k is quite a bit

Not really considering its a 23 year old car! And with a full engine rebuild it will be like new again. What do you think it would be worth?

Cheers guys Nackerz

I do, but it's a hard copy...check eBay.

Put pics up then people can see the condition, do you know what an engine rebuild actually costs? Its quite expensive.

Cheers guys Nackerz

I do, but it's a hard copy...check eBay.

Put pics up then people can see the condition, do you know what an engine rebuild actually costs? Its quite expensive.

Yeah mate, I'm a mechanic/spray painter/panel beater. Just never worked on the celica's before... This one is my mother in-law's other half's. He wants me to give it a respray as the bloke who did it, di a ***** job! Also wants to motor rebuilt.

Cheers

Still, pretty keen to be doing all this work for a car that realistically wouldnt be worth more than maybe 5k. How extensive of an engine rebuilt are you planning? I'm a Diesel Mechanic by trade, but am currently in the process of removing the 5S from my Camry and will be rebuilding with a 3S-GE head.

Still, pretty keen to be doing all this work for a car that realistically wouldnt be worth more than maybe 5k. How extensive of an engine rebuilt are you planning? I'm a Diesel Mechanic by trade, but am currently in the process of removing the 5S from my Camry and will be rebuilding with a 3S-GE head.

Thats allright man. Will be doing as much as it needs for the rebuild :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah its a 3S-GE motor. I just bought a celica st162 sx 86 model, same motor as mine. Rebuilt motor and gearbox (30,000kms), they drive really well. I bought mine for 3.8k with new reg, rw, and 175,000kms on the chassis, the paintwork was still decent. You'll probably look at 3.5k tops with the amount of km's its done, also depending on the condition of the paint, interior, electrics functions and motor/gearbox/clutch etc. If they're all mint you could probably get away with maybe 4 with reg/rw. According to Redbook, they're only worth about 2.4-4.2k.

Edited by Brocalus