Window tint

fandio

I haven't had many cars tinted but I only have two personal recommendations. One unfortunately no longer exists, so it is now just one. For reference though in case anyone knows where they disappeared to, I will include the first one.

1) Revive Window Tint. These guys were located at what is now the entrance to the Clem 7 on Lutwyche Rd, Windsor. The used 3M branded tints and they did a mighty good job. Great prices as well. Ever since they started work on the Clem 7 and ICB though, they disappeared.

2) Tint a Car Milton. I had my first Aurion tinted there. Was about the typical going rate of $395 for Midnight Express. They did a great job and were available the next day after I stopped in to enquire. They tint cars for Mercedes dealers and other prestige dealers nearby so their work is of a good standard.

• 2 months later...

Also looking for a window tinting service for my Corolla (darkest legal tint). Can anyone suggest any places in Melbourne?

Tint Professor Full car window tint darkest legal 35% $260 last time i did mine. Lifetime warranty B)

I used Tint professor in Nunawading (HQ) for my previous Mazda 2, I think I paid $265 in 2007 and now the price has gone up to $295.

You can't go wrong with Tint Professor.

Also looking for a window tinting service for my Corolla (darkest legal tint). Can anyone suggest any places in Melbourne?

Tint Professor Full car window tint darkest legal 35% $260 last time i did mine. Lifetime warranty B)

I used Tint professor in Nunawading (HQ) for my previous Mazda 2, I think I paid $265 in 2007 and now the price has gone up to $295.

Yeah I think they've gone up to $295 too - it states "from" $295 for hatches lol.

Yeah I think they've gone up to $295 too - it states "from" $295 for hatches lol.

So I decided to go with Tint-a-Car's "Octane" tints - got quoted $295.

Quotes from the Tint Professor were a bit nutto - $295 for Premium One; $350 for Rockstar; $390 for Premium Elite!

I used a backyard tinter when i got my car done. He works at tint a car during the day and does backyard jobs on the weekend. $170 for the corolla. I got it in 28% which is just a tad darker than legal, but its not noticeable.

He was done in around 2 hours and gives you life long warranty. The backyarder also gets recommended by car dealers. When he was doing my car, this guy guy had his new 2010 Aurion ready for tinting, the toyota dealer told him to go to the backyarder. :D

Only problem is that you must be free when he is.

If you want his number pm me.

I used a backyard tinter when i got my car done. He works at tint a car during the day and does backyard jobs on the weekend. $170 for the corolla. I got it in 28% which is just a tad darker than legal, but its not noticeable.

He was done in around 2 hours and gives you life long warranty. The backyarder also gets recommended by car dealers. When he was doing my car, this guy guy had his new 2010 Aurion ready for tinting, the toyota dealer told him to go to the backyarder. :D

Only problem is that you must be free when he is.

If you want his number pm me.

Where abouts is this guy located? If it's too far out of the CBD then unlikely I'd be able to utilize him. Tint-A-Car quote is decent, heard pretty good reviews on their Octane tint so gonna go ahead with it tomorrow and post photos if anyone's interested.

he's in maidstone so not too far.

Ah, not too far but I'd have to figure out what to do for the 2 hours lol. Well, I dropped my car in this morning to Tint-a-Car @ North Melbourne and they finished it within 2 hours (was estimated no more than 1.5 hours but due to the rain and cold weather, they needed to hold it for a bit longer and dry it out with the heating in the car).

I opted for Octane which is RRP (from) $395 but discounted down to $295. Bargain. The tints are 35% for front (darkest legal tint) and 30% for the back and rear passengers (just pushing it over the legal mark). Looks nice and stealthy on a black 'Rolla. Now all I need are my wheels, lowered, CAI and new exhaust system :)

Do note the poor lighting in the pictures (taken in an apartment complex parking lot) and I did just finish driving in the rain lol. Will take a photo of the rear when I get the chance, but trust me, it's pretty darn dark.

post-24068-0-62554000-1305336512_thumb.j

post-24068-0-84049300-1305336569_thumb.j

Some professional advice when choosing your window tint.

Check the laws in your local state, and ask the company if there have been many problems with darker then legal films being defected. I no in Western Australia a 35% VLT film on the factory glass was coming in darker then legal and there was a problem.

Find out about the company your choosing to do the job, there rep, how long been in the industry, how long the tinter has been in the industry (No good if the company has been around for 35 years and the tinter has been doing it for 6 months)

Choose your film wisely, Carbon v Semi Metal v Full Metal. Whats the difference? We all know from the past dyed films faded and went purple bubbled etc. The new carbon films are a new name for the old Dyed products, they are more colour stable now but from experience they havnt fixed the bubble issue, carbon also doesnt have the best heat rejection. I would expect a lifetime of <5 years. Semi Metal the most comon on the market, a good balance between Metal and Dye, better heat rejection then carbon, colour will be black, and alot longer lasting i cant recall the last time i seen a semi metal film bubble. It will slightly fade after about 5 years but wont fade alot, wont loose its colour either. Full metal, wont come in anything darker then 15% will always have a shiny finish like a semi mirror finish. Great for heat rejection, long lasting film, also the most expensive on the market.

Do you need a carbon/dyed film on your rear screen? Depends on the car.. If your car has an ariel in the rear window this MAY effect you. The metal films CAN effect AM band radio. Not every car will be effected. The metal in the film will only effect if the rear screen has a bad earth. How will you no if you do, the tinter can put a sample on the rear screen of a semi metal & metal film on the window to test it, if you dont need it try not to use it will need to be re-done in a couple of years.

Back Yard v Shop. Your choice, do your research, feel comfortable with the installer, look at some of there work. The key points are price and warranty. If your getting the right price with someone with the right film you can hit the jackpot. There is dodgy in every business but window tinting business is repeat word of mouth work. Most people will go back to the same place if there happy with there last job.

If i can help with any more technical questions feel free to ask away. Im not here to promote myself in anyway. Im here to help educate anyone about any issue.

Happy tinting B)

• 3 months later...

has anyone delt with the tinting place on pickering down past super cheap?

Or do you know of somewhere that:

you only pick shades of black, or is there legal mirror, or coloured tints available? :blink:

Edited by KIRIUS

I have a mates mate who does all my window tinting for me. I have 20% on both of my cars, It is illegal but looks sick. One car is white and one car is silver. He is mobile in Sydney. I dont drive like a nutbag so ive never been hassled. He will do any tint you want. If you have more than 1 car to do you will might get a better price.

it is supposed to be checked at rego but Ive never been tested or know anyone who has, I know of people who have been knocked back for blue slip though. Depends how fussy and a **** the inspection station wants to be. Not sure how they test it if your pulled over, Think it just visual,you would probably have more noticeable mods anyway they would pick on first. They would defect you and you have to get the defect passed, but if you know the person who does your pickslips they might just pass it anyway

Less than 35% is defectable.

You shouldn't get a RWC/pink slip and coppers can defect you on the spot for it. From memory if they pull you over they have a card which certain details/things can be seen, if they can't see it when behind the tint that means you're defectable.

Less than 35% is defectable.

You shouldn't get a RWC/pink slip and coppers can defect you on the spot for it. From memory if they pull you over they have a card which certain details/things can be seen, if they can't see it when behind the tint that means you're defectable.

Thanks McGee for that info

• 1 month later...

it is supposed to be checked at rego but Ive never been tested or know anyone who has, I know of people who have been knocked back for blue slip though. Depends how fussy and a **** the inspection station wants to be. Not sure how they test it if your pulled over, Think it just visual,you would probably have more noticeable mods anyway they would pick on first. They would defect you and you have to get the defect passed, but if you know the person who does your pickslips they might just pass it anyway

hi, they use "light meters" to test the VLT (visual light transmittance) if your car has 35% film on it, it lets in 35% of the light, 5%, 5% of the light etc. if your car like 90% of the cars today has a die in the glass that's added during manufacturing, 35% film applied to your car will be on average 27-32%, most company's like the one i work for now provide a 40% film, when once applied to said vehicles makes the VLT 35%. so whatever company you decide to go with please make sure they are aware of this.

brands that are affected are all Toyota's, honda's, VW's, mitsubishi's, audi's, BMW's, merc's, pug's, citro's, some holdens, all fords and subaru's t, the list goes on, hope this helps.

Thats good to know. I have a mate in the tinting game thats how a know a little about tint. personally a love my 20% tint.It doesnt look that dark during the day but at night it does heaps with headlight glare. It does stop alot of heat transfer into the car too. I have driven cars with 5% tint, especially at night and raining its a bit of a challenge, It does look good but not for me.