Cracking plasticky noises in dash

Seby123

Hey guys,

i have so far kinda ignored this problem but with passengers in the car its rather annoying...everytime someone rests their leg on the side of the center console, it makes a lot of crackling noises, like the plastic is pushing against itself and moving about quite a lot especially in corners. It makes the dash appear kind of cheaply made..

I dont know if its clear what i am on about...i can shoot a video with the sound if you guys want :ph34r:

Anyways, someone know how to fix this?

I had similar problems in my aurion, I originally fixed it by removing the trim pieces and putting bits of stick-on felt between them to stop the rubbing. Seemed to work well. Many other people here do something similar along the lines of either trying to remove the movement by jamming things between trim pieces, or by adding some felt or something similar in the join.

Every car is different so best thing is to try to localise the noise and see if you can diagnose what is actually causing the noise and going on from there

hm would you think that taking the dashboard apart is risky?

risky is dependent on your level of skill and confidence with such things. The size of the task may appear daunting for some where as it's something I do all the time and it doesn't really bother me (except for the "I can't be Fcked factor").

Thing will rattles though is that it's only really financially viable to tackle yourself - ANY workshop or dealer would charge you an arm and a leg and there is also a good chance that they won't even manage to fix it either.