DIY - Changing in-tank fuel filter

Kenshin X

Just called Toyota. The chap on the line said that there's an o-ring not shown on the diagram (part number 90301-09021) which is noted on the file needs replacement when filter is changed. He didn't know what this seal is attached to, possible the suction valve O-ring (that's what it is on file)? He said it's slightly different to the other o-ring shown in the diagram hence why a different part number. 

$4 a pop. Will pick them up tomorrow and swap them over, as well as part 90301-07020 (regulator o-ring, shown in the assy diagram as 23280E).

Edited by Crankitupto12

Will do. This is what I've ordered and checked with Toyota that there's no other seals/o-rings requiring replacement:

90301-07020 (regulator o-ring, shown on diagram as 23280E) $5

90301-09021 (suction valve O-ring, not illustrated but noted on file to be replaced with filter) $5

77169-33020 (fuel suction gasket, the thick large) $12

There's also the fuel filter seal, marked as part number 23238B on the assembly diagram (that's not the official part number though with Toyota). But we won't be replacing that as the one in the filter right now is brand new.

Going to pick up the new seals this morning and hopefully the mechanic can come and remove the fuel filter and replace the seals asap. Paying $$$ for rent and haven't even moved in because the car is stuck in the driveway and we can't go anywhere.

PS - Here's the connection on my ZZE122R that I had huge issues disconnecting to actually get the fuel filter assembly out in the first place! The mechanic used a special pry tool to pop it off. I tried with pliers, flat head screw drivers etc myself with a friend twice and couldn't get it disconnected. Figured it's worth noting this thing is a PITA to remove for other people finding this thread, as the OP only has a power and easy to remove line/connection in the original tutorial. 

13118985_10153585438487957_1076366027149908449_n.jpg

Edited by Crankitupto12

Yup, the O-ring (07020) was the main culprit but we changed all three parts. Starts and runs fine now. Let's hope it maintains pressure! The mechanic was very critical of aftermarket filters, even big brands like Ryco, said he has a lot of jobs come back days or weeks or months later as the seals fail or the o-rings are damaged by the slightly off shaped filter housing. Next time I'll go all genuine and also make sure I order spare seals and o-rings with it too. 

• 4 months later...

I had a question

we replaced the fuel pump and the u-clip went missing

does it have a lot to with why my car isn't starting it was running for a week

we changed the fuel pump and filter

and starter

and now the fuel pump doesn't seem to be kickin on

it started when we sraped eginie starter srap in the air cover and started had foot on gas for about 5 mins and then took it off and the car went died

don't understand what is wrong please if anyone knows please getting ahold of me

have a 2 year old and cant really go with out my car for much longer if anyone has an ideas let me kno

• 2 years later...