Tear in Cargo Mat - Toyota will not honour the warranty

vegemite

Hi, I bought a cargomat from a Toyota dealer which was included in the total purchase price for my Kluger.

It is still under new car warranty. I have attached an image of the cargo mat which has a tear in it.

Toyota says that the warranty does not apply in this case.

They (Toyota) say that they are not convinced that this is a manufacturing fault of the mat but are in fact

saying that this sort of thing can happen if an item has been dragged off the mat and the eyelet has had too much

stress and split.

I have not used the mat to transport heavy things. Comments and suggestions are highly appreciated.

Hey I have exactly the same issue...I bought the mat seperately, in November and found atear in it a week ago (about 2 inches)...more like a split...and I have only ever put groceries in the back

Think we can support each other by getting a new mat, with both our experiences

email me at glen.shkolar@defence.gov.au

Yeah rubbish. Mine lasted a week before getting a tear down either side. Mates in his kluger wasn't much better.

They weigh too much, stink when new, and rip like paper. Won't be bitten again, going aftermarket next time.

We have the mat since new and havent had an issue. We are extra careful around where the seatbelt goes. They do stink and have found boxes to stick to the mat, so try not to drag items out... Might be selling the car so might have one uor sale in a couple of months...

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to disappoint you guys our mat was ripped in the first couple of months of owning the "New Kluger" in 2007, Toyota will not replace them under any circumstances I gave them pictures and all..........they sux....the service sux...the annual recalls sux...Had 4 so far!

DASH RATTLE

OIL FEED PIPE

VVTI CAMS

NUDGE BAR

All from a 70k car :clap:

Dont get me started on Toyota's..........I will never buy one again!!!!!!!!!!

Rant over Im going back to my Subaru forum now...Have a nice time here guys:D

• 4 weeks later...

I have one of these in the Kluger since we bought it in Feb 2010, no probs, would recommend it to everyone. Protects the rear cargo space of the vehicle from dirt, water and stops cargo sliding around, best $100 I spent on the car.

Sorry to disappoint you guys our mat was ripped in the first couple of months of owning the "New Kluger" in 2007, Toyota will not replace them under any circumstances I gave them pictures and all..........they sux....the service sux...the annual recalls sux...Had 4 so far!

DASH RATTLE

OIL FEED PIPE

VVTI CAMS

NUDGE BAR

Think toyota are pretty good, all cars get issues. Kluger has never broken down or not started yet. Atleast they do recalls, better than other brands that ignore or keep problems hush.

Though one issue that does drive me nuts is the cold weather dash rattles. Heard they have to remove entire dash to fix!! Did they fix your dash rattles under recall???

My dash now sounds like an oversized babies rattle soon as winter hits. No dramas all summer, but as soon as cold weather comes drives you nuts, and bit embarrassing when someone else in the car!

My cargo mat is genuine and is now a year old and I have had no issues with it so far. I also don't treat it with kid gloves and the Kluger is my vehicle of choice when I want to go for a dive. All my diving gear fits neatly in the back and makes gearing up a pleasure, especially if it's raining!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Are you talking about the genuine heavy rubber cargo mat. I've had one since new in our 2007 Kluger Grande and it's still OK. It gets the cr@p beaten out of it. Rolled, folded all sorts of heavy stuff dragged across it and no tears in it only a few scuffs.

You can get what in the floorcovering industry they call a needlepunch matting. It comes in various colours also comes with or without a rubberised backing and it can be cut to the exact size of your cargo area. Once cut it won't fray and you can take it out and hose it clean any time. You can buy them from most floorcovering retailers and it's not very expensive. I put black ribbed needle punch in the back of my Kluger and with the cream interior it really looks good. Oh yeah the most important thing is that the stuff is very tough and almost impossible to tear. Hope this info helps.

Ryanocer

• 2 weeks later...

DASH RATTLE

OIL FEED PIPE

VVTI CAMS

NUDGE BAR

Think toyota are pretty good, all cars get issues. Kluger has never broken down or not started yet. Atleast they do recalls, better than other brands that ignore or keep problems hush.

Though one issue that does drive me nuts is the cold weather dash rattles. Heard they have to remove entire dash to fix!! Did they fix your dash rattles under recall???

My dash now sounds like an oversized babies rattle soon as winter hits. No dramas all summer, but as soon as cold weather comes drives you nuts, and bit embarrassing when someone else in the car!

I've been off this forum for 1.5yrs and I had the rattles mentioned in the dash and the car(Aug07 build). The car went back to the dealer several times and had the dash totally off twice during the cold winter of 2008.

It was not related to the dash as it was finally found within the plastic trim on the outside near the wiper that stretches from one side of the car to the other. The Toyota dealer who were great, noted it on the intra Toyota web for other dealers to read the findings.

There are posts from that time in detail referring to it in this forum.

Same problem found on my Hilux I have now. I put a kitchen knife in between the windscreen and the trim and slowly moved across the window whilst injecting silicone into it. Wipe clean and then left large cans of two fruit or sphagetti, over it as a weight over night. Next day onwards, no more rattles.

Had the same tear too in the mat.

Edited by fish475

• 7 months later...

DASH RATTLE

OIL FEED PIPE

VVTI CAMS

NUDGE BAR

Rant over Im going back to my Subaru forum now...Have a nice time here guysbiggrin.gif

I've been off this forum for 1.5yrs and I had the rattles mentioned in the dash and the car(Aug07 build). The car went back to the dealer several times and had the dash totally off twice during the cold winter of 2008.

It was not related to the dash as it was finally found within the plastic trim on the outside near the wiper that stretches from one side of the car to the other. The Toyota dealer who were great, noted it on the intra Toyota web for other dealers to read the findings.

There are posts from that time in detail referring to it in this forum.

Same problem found on my Hilux I have now. I put a kitchen knife in between the windscreen and the trim and slowly moved across the window whilst injecting silicone into it. Wipe clean and then left large cans of two fruit or sphagetti, over it as a weight over night. Next day onwards, no more rattles.

Had the same tear too in the mat.

I HAVE A GENIUNE MAT IN MY KLUGER AND I ABSOLUTLY LOVE MINE ITS THE BEST THING IVE BOUGHT FOR THE CAR IT DOESNT EVEN LOOK LIKE TEARING. THE MAT STOP THINGS FROM SLIDING AROUND AND PROTECTS THE FLOOR. I LOVE MY MAT. :unsure: MY KLUGER HAS THE DASH RATTLE :g:

• 1 month later...

well i went to buckle toyota today for a service, and with some trepidation, mentioned the cargo mat was torn. Suggested it may be common, they went away, and are replacing it "as an act of goodwill" rather than under warranty. very happy....

HI everyone

I wondering is there two different types of toyota cargo mats for the kluger, because I was looking on ebay the other day and geniune toyota kluger cargo mats they showed look different to mine it looked to be made of a cheaper thinner rubber compared to the cargo mat of mine they actually looked similar to the one I had in my old prado which was a genuine toyota one which was made of a thinner lighter rubber.

The cargo mat in my kluger nice and strong made of good quality thick rubber

• 1 month later...

HI everyone

I wondering is there two different types of toyota cargo mats for the kluger, because I was looking on ebay the other day and geniune toyota kluger cargo mats they showed look different to mine it looked to be made of a cheaper thinner rubber compared to the cargo mat of mine they actually looked similar to the one I had in my old prado which was a genuine toyota one which was made of a thinner lighter rubber.

The cargo mat in my kluger nice and strong made of good quality thick rubber

Just an update, the new mat they gave me is a slightly different design, it doesn't have the "dangly" bits around the seat belts that seemed to contribute to the tearing