Headunits with HDD

jps137

Are there any brandname headunits around with built in HDD (hard disk drive)? I have been looking but so far I am unable to find any. I am not looking for a carputer but a headunit with a built in hdd for music storage, similar to the what I understand to be the jdm audio options for Tarago and several european luxury cars avaialable here (incl. Aston Martin)

Are there any brandname headunits around with built in HDD (hard disk drive)? I have been looking but so far I am unable to find any. I am not looking for a carputer but a headunit with a built in hdd for music storage, similar to the what I understand to be the jdm audio options for Tarago and several european luxury cars avaialable here (incl. Aston Martin)

G'day mate.

I have no idea how much money you want to spend, but if your me, you want this on the cheap :P

A good friend of mine picked one of these up yesterday,

Its $210 delivered, has a plethora of inputs and outputs and supports SD cards and USB drives (up to 16GB I think) as well as iPhone surprisingly

The screen is great at night, not so much at day, DVD's display clear as any TV I've seen

Has Bluetooth and works perfectly, can even stream and control from your phone (iPhone for me)

Has TV inputs and Aux ins, it is really nice and the quality is surprisingly good.

Now this is obviously not a top of the line unit mate, compared to a pioneer or something,

But for $210, I think its an absolute steal! And serves its purpose well.

I haven't checked whether a HDD would work, but I don't think the USB input would support it, or be able to power it.

But it will support 16GB SD's and USB's (so it says) so you could theoretically have 32GB

Now for me thats plenty, no idea about you though mate.

Anyway, good luck and let me know if you need any more help (:

Cheers

Thanks but I already have a Follow Me II system in the Corolla with the optional USB connection and find it annoying that it has to search the USB drive each start up which takes a few minutes for 4Gb. I was looking for something that would just play first time straight away.

Thanks but I already have a Follow Me II system in the Corolla with the optional USB connection and find it annoying that it has to search the USB drive each start up which takes a few minutes for 4Gb. I was looking for something that would just play first time straight away.

It definately is annoying, and of course, for $200 its not going to be the whizbang unit.

I honestly think you'll run into a problem (if you do find one) running a HDD in your car.

The vibrations, potholes and shocks can ruin HDD's in a split second.

Unless of course you go down the SSD route (flash based) but again, that is a bit pricy

Only thing I could think of at the moment is wiring up a HDD media player with an SSD in it and controlling it via remote, but it would be a lot of hassle to get it right.