Brake Options - Standard Aurion

Steven

The twin pistons have the advantage of a more controlled and better distributed clamping force. Instead of only applying force to the centre of the pad they are hitting both sides. Think of it like a G-Clamp only holding something quite large from the centre(tries to spin, not much force or control) as opposed to something on either end.

They made a hell of a difference on my Camry, with a rotor that wasnt that much bigger(I4 to V6 brake swap).

Edited by trentmeyer23

It's decision time. My options now are as follow:

1) Go RDA slotted with decent pads in my current brake combo (297mm x 28mm)

OR

2) Get standard DBAs in the Supra rotor (324mm x 30mm) using the Gen3 twin piston calipers and decent pads.

The Supra combo should win out however the rotors won't be slotted (can't afford the huge excess they want for them as you need to move up to DBA 4000s). Would this result in the Supra combo being less effective than the standard, RDA slotted combo? Mostly I'm just trying to reduce brake fad when on mountain runs.

Slotted rotors will have no effect on brake fade. You won't loose out on anything really except for different design between the 2000 and 4000 which may have marginally improve cooling. Whether this is sonethin noticeable during street use can be another topic for discussion.

Had a look on the DBA website for the JZA80 rotors and I can't believe the STREET series are more expensive than the 4000 series. RRP on the 4000 series isn't too bad @ ~$350; I am certain most sellers won't ask for that much.

Just gave BHSS-TBS a call regarding prices on the RDA rotors for the JZA80 and you're in luck:

RDA rotors - $143.17AU including GST per rotor

to have them slotted (in house by BHSS) - $55 per rotor.

So the total cost would be a touch under $198.17AU including GST per rotor from BHSS if you are desparate for slotteds. You'd probably want to bring your Gen3 calipers to them and ask them to rebuild them. They aren't exactly the newest things in town.

That's not a bad price for slotted RDAs, however I'm currently awaiting on a quote from an American supplier which currently sits around $160 per rotor (slotted) inc delivery, however if they combine postage for price for a pair could fall under $300. The down side of course is the delivery time taken for them to arrive which could see me without the brakes by the time the annual rolls around but I am working off a budget.

I hadn't given much thought (or inclusion in the budget) at this time for getting the calipers rebuilt. Is it an expensive exercise? I had planned on just buying a kit from Repco and doing it myself.

I forgot to mention the 3rd option, which is to use Lexus RX330 discs instead which can be had in RDA slotted for less than $200 a pair. These discs are only 320mm x28mm, so they wouldn't absorb heat as well as the supra ones but would still be better than stock.

Supra rotors - approx 21% more metal than stock ($300 to $400 in hand)

RX330 - approx 15% more metal ($>200 in hand)

Like mentioned I'm not hoping for world changing improvements (or much at all actually) around town, mostly I'm just trying to get better brakes for the spirited driving. As it stands my tyres are the weakest point in my current braking system for normal stops but brake fade easily outdoes this on even slightly spirited driving.

I've purchased the RX330 rotors (320mm x 28mm) in the RDA slotted, for under $200 delivered. This frees my budget to allow for even better pads and to have the calipers professionally rebuilt.

I've purchased the RX330 rotors (320mm x 28mm) in the RDA slotted, for under $200 delivered. This frees my budget to allow for even better pads and to have the calipers professionally rebuilt.

What pad are you going to run?

If you ask me, I'd wait a week or two and save up for the JZA80 rotors + have the calipers rebuilt.

Rotors already purchased so the decision has been made. Also budget is stretched already so it would be over a month before i could go the jza80 discs - besides there is hardly much diff between the rx330 and jza80 to justify a doubling in price.

As for pads, i need to get a quote on getting the calipers rebuilt before i make any decisions and also what's available

bloody hell, BHSS just quoted me $137.50 to get a single caliper rebuilt!

Kits themselves are around $60 each from Toyota but I'm certain I've seen them cheaper. God damn sh it cu nts

Kits themselves are around $60 each from Toyota but I'm certain I've seen them cheaper. God damn sh it cu nts

Don't blame BHSS.

Blame all you Westerners who believe in fair pay.

*runs off to an Asian country for labour cost reductions*

Don't blame BHSS.

Blame all you Westerners who believe in fair pay.

*runs off to an Asian country for labour cost reductions*

I've found the caliper kits for about $8 each. Now I'm assuming it would take an expert at this about 15 to 20 minutes to rebuild a caliper using a kit they probably get for the same price if not cheaper.

I'm currently on around $25 an hour, which I believe it fair pay. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe I should be on $200 an hour :yahoo:

The guys at BHSS weren't kidding when they said I wouldn't recognise them once they had finished. Plus they only wanted around $115 per caliper in the end!

Getting closer

post-13080-0-79996200-1305866510_thumb.j

The guys at BHSS weren't kidding when they said I wouldn't recognise them once they had finished. Plus they only wanted around $115 per caliper in the end!

Getting closer

Good o!

Just handed over my requirements + a caliper for the TRD upgrade today. Should be ready on Monday, $90 for the 2 lines.

Spent a few joyous hours this morning working on the bracket designs for fitting the calipers -> fit confirmed by making a replica out of MDF.

Cheers to Viking Dave as his caliper designs helped out with designing my own.

post-13080-0-58428200-1305943637_thumb.j

• 4 months later...

A few months have passed so I figure I might as well update this thread.

I succeeded in bolting on the Gen3 Twin pistons using the above bracket and using 320x28mm Lexus RX330 rotors. Under pressure these brakes perform very well but need to be paired with a decent pad to get the most out of them. I have been running these for about 3 months now and haven't had any issues. They have a very good feel but are a bit "touchier" than standard, but only slightly.

In the last few days I have obtained a new lead for a brake upgrade from Viking Dave, who suggested that the 2007+ Toyota Kluger front brakes might be a direct bolt on.

<removed due to new information being found>

The calipers are a twin piston design, which uses a brake pad with almost as much surface contact area as the TRD brake pads but are a very different shape.

Kluger (DB2004) 167 x 59 x 17 mm

TRD Aurion (7599) 184 x 63 x 14 mm

Camry Gen3 Twin Piston (DB1209) 141 x 63 x 17 mm

It also appears the 07+ Kluger and the Lexus RX350 might share the same brake caliper, however I've only found suggestions of a 4-piston design on the Lexus and yet some diagrams show a very similar twin-piston design so this is unconfirmed.

Based on the above it's very possible the Kluger front brakes will be a direct bolt on to the Aurion and also most Camrys, however I can't guarantee this until I can locate a Kluger brake caliper to experiment with. I've sent off requests to several wreckers hoping for a hit and if the price is right I'll likely attempt this mod.

Pic below is of the caliper on the 07+ Kluger (shamefully nicked off the forum)

post-13080-0-78829400-1316918966_thumb.j

• Like 2

Right, excellent news.

I now have in my possession a pair of 2007+ Toyota Kluger front disc rotors and twin piston calipers, and can confirm they are a direct bolt on to the Aurion (and therefore most earlier model Camrys too)!

Also I'm now aware only the single piston 2006-2007 model Kluger carried 320mm wide rotors. The 2007+ twin piston Kluger carries a whopping 329mm rotors! These things are huge - even larger than the TRD brakes which are 325mm, although it must be noted the TRD are 32mm thick compared to the Kluger's 28mm.

The DBA part number for the new Kluger rotors are 2734, however aren't yet listed on the website. Further they are currently only available in the standard replacement versions. Slotted/4000s etc are coming soon as this rotor as a part from DBA is only 6 months old. I haven't heard back from RDA yet regarding their offerings.

DBA standard option are $109 each from GSL.

Everything else about the rotor is exactly the same as the Aurion, being height, center bore, PCD etc. Further the caliper shares the same mounting locations and the same brake line banjo bolt connection.

I have been in contact with GSL who told me no QFM pads are currently available, but can be made up in the A1RM series for $179 a pair.

I'll be going ahead with this upgrade in the coming weeks and getting the factory rotors cleaned up and professionally slotted as they're in very good nick.

These calipers can be found at wreckers for around $110 each, and due to only being a few years old are generally in very good condition and don't require a rebuild. Mine even had brake pads that look to be in excellent condition and usable.

If you were to go new for all parts except for the calipers, the price break down would be as belong to upgrade your Aurion or Camry

Calipers - $220

Rotors - $218

Brake pads - $60 up to $179 for semi-track pads

Total - $617 for a brake upgrade that's completely bolt on!

I'll also do a comparison to my current set up which consists of gen3 twin piston calipers and 320mm rotors, which offers a great upgrade over stock but costs more than the Kluger upgrade due to needing custom made brackets and caliper reconditioning (mandatory as such calipers are over 15 years old now).

post-13080-0-23608900-1317011253_thumb.j

• Like 3

That is effing fantastic news Steven.

I concur great news,wow your the man when it comes to Aurion brake upgrades,i will be following your lead for sure if you have no dramas,and i can just picture those 329mm front rotors behind my Buddy Clubs....

this effort deserves one of those star thingys...pay the man :D

Great find, Steven. Excellent news. Much, much cheaper than buying the TRD setup! Shame they wouldn't fit in the stock 17s. :(

They MIGHT fit. The TRD's fit under the stock 17s and these are only about 2.5mm wider.

I want to do a dummy fit this weekend so I'll throw on a sportivo rim then and see if it clears.

I just sat the rotor/caliper assembly inside a standard Sportivo rim and lined up the stud holes in the rotor with the wheels, which gives a pretty good idea of how they'll fit inside if on the car.

It's hard to make out in the picture, but there is between 5-10mm of clearance between the caliper and the inner wall of the wheel. No concerns with front facing clearance as these calipers are very similar to the standard calipers in that aspect.

So there you go, it'll even fit without aftermarket wheels (sorry to you stock ATX boys and girls though)

Granted right now the caliper isn't bolted in place and will probably sit out a tad further once on the car, there is enough clearance that I doubt there would be any problems fitting sportivo 17"s over these brakes.

post-13080-0-48592400-1317086087_thumb.j

• Like 1