Brake Options - Standard Aurion

Steven

yes I was referring to welding cast - The VT calipers actually look like they might weld okay, but it's not something I'd be willing to stake my life (and possibly somebody else) on

On my next few days off I'll be making a replica front rotor/hub out of MDF including the caliper mounts so I can go around to various wrecking yards and test different types of calipers. 2 I'm very interested in so far are the R33 skyline, Hilux and landcruiser calipers.

Hi Steven,

Have you thought of using the Camry 2006 might be for " XV30 (2001–2006)" and not the "XV40 (2006–present)" but they might fit? from here: http://www.stoptech.com/Products/HP2009.pdf Look at page 31, can be purchase from here: http://www.vsport.com.au/ecommerce/index.php?categoryID=145 here all Australian branches: http://www.vsport.com.au/contactus.php

They are a 2 piece big brake kit, 332 mm x 32 mm by 4 pistons.

83.865.4600.xx is the part number. the .xx is the Caliper colour & rotor type, look at page 5 of pdf.

Anyway might help you out?

yes I was referring to welding cast - The VT calipers actually look like they might weld okay, but it's not something I'd be willing to stake my life (and possibly somebody else) on

On my next few days off I'll be making a replica front rotor/hub out of MDF including the caliper mounts so I can go around to various wrecking yards and test different types of calipers. 2 I'm very interested in so far are the R33 skyline, Hilux and landcruiser calipers.

Hi Steven,

Have you thought of using the Camry 2006 might be for " XV30 (2001–2006)" and not the "XV40 (2006–present)" but they might fit? from here: http://www.stoptech.com/Products/HP2009.pdf Look at page 31, can be purchase from here: http://www.vsport.com.au/ecommerce/index.php?categoryID=145 here all Australian branches: http://www.vsport.com.au/contactus.php

83.865.4600.xx is the part number. the .xx is the Caliper colour & rotor type, look at page 5 of pdf.

i would say there is a pretty good chance of those fitting without a whole lot of grief! if you consider despite the 36 series and 40 series having different architecture the suspension design give or take a few bits of bracing and different caster etc is near as make no difference (clearly different inside though of course) but it's the same base design so it could be a good option depending on cost, only other problem might be fitting the wheels back over the brakes if your still running the stock 17's? Other than that dam good find, TRD boys will be all over this although i don’t get why you would need a TRD to stop any harder than it already does i love that brake package lol

Hi Steven,

You sir are a genius. I think you are onto something here. Andrew357 has a Gen5.5 with the stock Aurion brakes fitted to his, so one would say it could go the other way around.

... i don’t get why you would need a TRD to stop any harder than it already does i love that brake package lol

I can show you a lot of reasons if you were here.

You sir are a genius. I think you are onto something here. Andrew357 has a Gen5.5 with the stock Aurion brakes fitted to his, so one would say it could go the other way around.

Yeah i reckon these would fit up a treat, wonder what the damage is on them though lol.

I can show you a lot of reasons if you were here.

Damm you must be brutal on those brakes, i Cain the crap out of them on road trip chasing a Wrx down an only once have i got them to feel like they’re going soft and that coming to a complete stop from a silly speed that i won't mention on here but it was a big brake application and that was after been beaten up on through the mountains and only then was it the last 30kms of the stop the pedal started to go a little soft and sink lol

Yeah i reckon these would fit up a treat, wonder what the damage is on them though lol.

I did some quick searching and some mob out there had something like $2195. Don't know how old that price was though.

Damm you must be brutal on those brakes, i Cain the crap out of them on road trip chasing a Wrx down an only once have i got them to feel like they’re going soft and that coming to a complete stop from a silly speed that i won't mention on here but it was a big brake application and that was after been beaten up on through the mountains and only then was it the last 30kms of the stop the pedal started to go a little soft and sink lol

Brutal. No where near. We just have driving roads that make full use of your brakes :P. It's no so much the "running out of brakes" that is the issue... it's the "I want to stop with more force" that is driving me. After feeling a Hybrid Camry with full regenerative braking plus standard brakes, I feel that the TRD could do with some more stopping power.

I'm 83,000km on stock rotors by the way. Have to replace them real soon now though (down to 30.1mm now)... hence the additional research.

I did some quick searching and some mob out there had something like $2195. Don't know how old that price was though.

Brutal. No where near. We just have driving roads that make full use of your brakes :P. It's no so much the "running out of brakes" that is the issue... it's the "I want to stop with more force" that is driving me. After feeling a Hybrid Camry with full regenerative braking plus standard brakes, I feel that the TRD could do with some more stopping power.

I'm 83,000km on stock rotors by the way. Have to replace them real soon now though (down to 30.1mm now)... hence the additional research.

mmm yeah that price really isn’t all the bad for that kind of brake package :)

haha hello Targa Tasmania the ultimate tarmac rally roads right on my door step lol we have a piece of road that only moves you 250m further north but you lose 1000 feet in altitude, that’s an awesome bit of road that hammers the brakes i love hearing the transition from the cold brake squeal then the squeal fading away as the pads get heat in them and the nose of the car sinks into the road, first trip i made with the TDR package and SRT pads and loved it ever since well not so much the pads, there a bit crap when cold to live with :-/ Remsa's will fix that though :)

To any who are still interested in my wacky experiments, it seems as though the Toyota Landcruiser 78/79 series calipers have a very good chance of fitting. I took a look at some new ones this morning but got distracted by the 75 series which seemed even better, however once I got home I realised they only fit a 20mm unvented disc :( as a result I didn't spend too much time measuring the 78/79 series versions.

I've since made up an exact replica of the front disc and knuckle assembly out of MDF so I can test fit calipers on the fly. I'll go back early next week to check the larger versions.

One thing about these Landcruiser calipers, aside from being 4 piston, is that they're heavy mofos. Haven't weighed them but I reckon swapping to these would add about an extra 10kg to the weight of the car. However as they aren't part of the rotating assembly, could someone more experienced inform me whether they would have a negative affect on braking?

Other thing is that these calipers are worth around the $340 mark brand new, which is alright for 4 pistons but combined with new discs and adaptors might end up costing around $650 or so. Think that's worth it for 4 piston, slotted front brakes?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/2-Front-Brake-Calipers-Toyota-Landcruiser-HZJ78-HZJ79-/120687483771?pt=AU_Car_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c1988db7b

BTW it looks like the standard Aurion brake lines will bolt right up. Same looking banjo bolt setup.

Any chance Prado brakes will work with the Aurion?

Not sure. It's hard to say without seeing the caliper up close, and knowing the dimensions of the factory disc (most important is the disc thickness)

Had a little run out to the local jap wrecking yard and played around with a pile of brake calipers from various vehicles they had there. Found the ideal caliper actually

R32 GTS alloy 4 piston caliper. Suits a 30mm disc (close enough to our 28mm disc) and will bolt up with a very simple bracket. Pics of it on my mdf replica below using a small spacer to bring it out to the 320mm diameter of the RX330 rotor.

post-13080-0-02961100-1304139136_thumb.j

post-13080-0-68000400-1304139143_thumb.j

From memory the Aurion/Gen6 Camry/Gen5 Camry/Gen4 Camry + Possibly Gen3 Camry share the same hub so I believe the rotors would bolt on no problem.

I can't speak for the mounting points for the calipers, but I know:

- Gen3 Widebody 2pot calipers will bolt onto the Gen4 + Gen5

- Gen5 calipers will fit on the Gen4

- Gen6 calipers will fit on the Gen5 and Gen4.

I'd put some money down that these V-Sport/Stoptech kits designed for the Camry will fit.

Not sure. It's hard to say without seeing the caliper up close, and knowing the dimensions of the factory disc (most important is the disc thickness)

Had a little run out to the local jap wrecking yard and played around with a pile of brake calipers from various vehicles they had there. Found the ideal caliper actually

R32 GTS alloy 4 piston caliper. Suits a 30mm disc (close enough to our 28mm disc) and will bolt up with a very simple bracket. Pics of it on my mdf replica below using a small spacer to bring it out to the 320mm diameter of the RX330 rotor.

The Prado is 338 x 28 front, 312 x 18 back.

Aurion is 296 x 28 front, 286 x 10 back.

The Prado is 338 x 28 front, 312 x 18 back.

Aurion is 296 x 28 front, 286 x 10 back.

Could do. It depends then on the caliper's mounting tabs. Without having one in person it's very hard to say.

As they're made to suit a 338mm caliper, they might look a little oversized even on a 320mm rotor. I was thinking of using the Lexus IS350 (334mm diameter, 30mm thick) rotor for use with the Nissan R32 4 pots, but the R32 were originally designed for a 293mm rotor and only JUST fit a 320mm (as it is they'd probably need a little bit grinded back on the calipers inside surface to clear the rotor) and I also think I'd have clearance issues then with my 17" wheels.

A caliper meant for a 338mm rotor sitting on a 293 or 320mm rotor shouldn't pose any major problems except in reduced effectiveness due to the loss of clamping leverage.

Have you got a pic of the Prado caliper?

They look promising, however as with most calipers I experimented with today looks don't mean much, its how they fit which is very hard to test until you have one in hand. The majority of calipers I played with today were all 4 and 2 piston types, from various brands (brembo, subaru, Mazda, Nissan etc) and I only found 2 that fit well. They were the R32, and another Nissan that was cast but the guy couldn't remember which it belonged to (was practically identical to the R32, except it was cast instead of alloy).

It also looks like most 4x4 4 piston calipers stand a good chance of working, as from what I found today when experimenting with different landcruiser calipers, but they tend to be VERY heavy even compared to the factory cast brakes. I'm hoping to keep the weight done.

As for the stud pattern, it doesn't matter unless you plan on swapping to the calipers matching rotor. Considering we have the factory (293mm), the RX330(320mm) and, to a lesser degree the Lexus IS350 (334mm but 30mm thick) that should bolt right up there isn't really a need to think of a way to fit other rotors.

BTW the 320mm is probably the largest you can go using 17" factory wheels

For some reason, after what david spoke about on Thursday the other week, if you go for some larger rotors, they will only seem like a good move to me if you get them thicker than stock. So that means at least 30mm. May as well benefit as much as you can.

Well I guess that comes down to the calliper. 325mm rotor and the 2 pot TRD calliper arrangement clears the 17's quite alright.

For some reason, after what david spoke about on Thursday the other week, if you go for some larger rotors, they will only seem like a good move to me if you get them thicker than stock. So that means at least 30mm. May as well benefit as much as you can.

Well I guess that comes down to the calliper. 325mm rotor and the 2 pot TRD calliper arrangement clears the 17's quite alright.

Which 17's? I thought you were running 19x8? Or have you guys done a test fit on a standard Aurion?

I meant 320mm was probably the largest you could go out of the 3 rotors I listed towards direct bolt on rotors. A 334mm is an increase in about 20mm over the standard OEM rotors, and the measurement I took yesterday shows that would have the caliper sitting against the wheels inner surface (but also fouls the balancing magnets).

A larger rotor would provide more leverage clamping force on the wheel even without being thicker. Naturally I would prefer to go all the way up to 334mm in the 30mm rotor, but I know that would not suit my chosen calipers lest I modify them, which I'm not keen to do. I think a step up in rotor size from 293 to 320mm, going slotted, with 4 piston calipers using decent pads should make a substantial enough improvement over stock.

I meant 320mm was probably the largest you could go out of the 3 rotors I listed towards direct bolt on rotors. A 334mm is an increase in about 20mm over the standard OEM rotors, and the measurement I took yesterday shows that would have the caliper sitting against the wheels inner surface (but also fouls the balancing magnets).

A larger rotor would provide more leverage clamping force on the wheel even without being thicker. Naturally I would prefer to go all the way up to 334mm in the 30mm rotor, but I know that would not suit my chosen calipers lest I modify them, which I'm not keen to do. I think a step up in rotor size from 293 to 320mm, going slotted, with 4 piston calipers using decent pads should make a substantial enough improvement over stock.

Steve, just going slotted with some good pads will make a huge improvement over day to day driving.

Steve, just going slotted with some good pads will make a huge improvement over day to day driving.

I'm starting to agree with you. I'm very fond of doing things differently (and breaking new ground if I can), but for how I drive my car it seems overkill doing this particular mod. Also as you pointed out the extra work involved getting this mod engineered and mod plated also seems fairly complicated.

If only money wasn't an issue...

I'm starting to agree with you. I'm very fond of doing things differently (and breaking new ground if I can), but for how I drive my car it seems overkill doing this particular mod. Also as you pointed out the extra work involved getting this mod engineered and mod plated also seems fairly complicated.

If only money wasn't an issue...

It's moreso the extra cost and scrutiny the mod will go under because you have brackets.

They'll make you do hard stops from 40-60-80-100kph (a couple of times I believe) to ensure your setup is working fine, i'm not sure how aggressive they are in terms of inspecting your parts.

edit: The Viking told me it cost him $150 alone to have his modified brake setup on his Gen4. It consisted of Gen3 V6 Camry 2-pot calipers, a bracket and a 13" Supra rotor.

Had a word to The Viking and he said the moment you modify anything structural (ie welding your calipers) and they will go over it with a fine tooth comb (x-ray of the calipers etc).

Also, with the Landcruiser calipers you may run into issues as to how it mounts to the hub (depending on which series you are looking at).

In addition, you may run into clearance issues of your spokes if your wheels running a 4 pot setup as you need to factor in the extra travel required compared to a sliding setup (ie TRD Aurion setup). This is as there are now 2 pistons on both sides instead of just the inner side.

Had a word to The Viking and he said the moment you modify anything structural (ie welding your calipers) and they will go over it with a fine tooth comb (x-ray of the calipers etc).

Also, with the Landcruiser calipers you may run into issues as to how it mounts to the hub (depending on which series you are looking at).

In addition, you may run into clearance issues of your spokes if your wheels running a 4 pot setup as you need to factor in the extra travel required compared to a sliding setup (ie TRD Aurion setup). This is as there are now 2 pistons on both sides instead of just the inner side.

I have given the landcruiser calipers a miss due to there size, weight and unsuitable disc requirements. I've now decided to go the R32 caliper route as per my previous picture. With a 320mm disc this caliper will clear my wheels and is very light as they're alloy. Further the bracket I need to make to fit these is very basic and does not require any modification of the caliper or the front knuckle assembly. I don't even need to cut the dust guards.

As the moment I'm trying to track down the master cylinder bore size of the Aurion (which I believe must be similar to all recent model camrys) as one of the final pieces of the puzzle.

Just make sure there is enough clearance (depth wise) between the fully open caliper when mounted and your wheels.

Also, non-OEM brake booster/brake master cylinder will undergo some scrutiny.