Brake Options - Standard Aurion

Steven

To say I love the looks of those is understatement. Those look mean. Unfortunately I don't think I could justify the $1,000-$1,700 for them. They must be made of money if they are doing those just for the looks.

Yeah about 50,000 Baht ($1600 Aus) which is what we pay for mags, so why not m8 :) they will definitely stop you in hurry :P

So if it's simply a case of 'why not', then why haven't you done so yet? Or others for that matter.

What may be a justifiable cost for you, does not necessarily mean it is for me. I don't race this car every day, so my money is better spent elsewhere. This is why Steven has been researching ways around this which won't exactly break the bank. $600 seems like a reasonable amount which will give the extra edge for street and semi-track use. $1600 unfortunately falls out of budget for some people (myself included). That said, it's good to know such upgrades do exist for those that are willing to spend the money.

I ran out of money shopping :)Bought Tien, DVDsat Nav and 2 UR bars, K&N filter, and mufflers and Club Spec T3 DBA slots, as well as went crazy at Gucci and Lacoste :P my wife spent 2k on makeup maximum weight to bring back was 40KG too

. but mark my words next trip I'll get them,

Others don't know, Aussies don't mod their cars like the Thais because thos brakes would cost 10K here! as everything is a BIG Rip Off in Australia.

I believe they turbo charge their 2GRFE engines too. but that a different thread.

Here are my new brake rotors installed today :)

Out with the Crusty old!

img0472i.jpg

Retail Thai Value for DVA Club Spec T3 6000BAHT ($180)

img0470q.jpg

Looks Great!

img0475xg.jpg

Edited by Marty0001

Did you get the T3 Club Spec too same as mine. there absolutely awesome!! Just need better brakes, the Aurion Brakes are pretty average! I'll be getting the in laws to bring me back the Brembos in April hopefully. I'm estimating they will brake up to 120% more effectively too, I'm not to fond of the appearance of the Stock brakes too.

Just a piece of advice here, everyone please be aware when updating to huge front 4 piston brakes (or more, depending on brand) to try to remain aware of front/rear bias. Failure to do so may mean the car works better on the track but far worse around town when brake temps don't reach high levels. Many aftermarket brakes suggest you use their rear kit as well to keep the balance optimal - I have found with the Kluger brakes that bias is moved slightly forward, only slightly but I wouldn't want to go any bigger without updating the rears as well.

I will be attempting to see if the Kluger rear brakes fit eventually when my funds recover, however they are still a solid rotor so I'm not expecting the world of them.

Further, around town, the biggest limitation on your brakes are your tyres - If you can engage the ABS then going aftermarket won't help you at all. Those huge aftermarket brakes will really only come into their own on the track. For around town and some spirited driving the TRDs (and possibly even the Kluger brakes) will be just as good.

Maybe,

However Evo's STI's Clubsports Falcon Turbos etc the list of family and non track cars that have Brembos installed goes on. I totally agree with you regarding upgrading all 4 calipers and rotors.

According to the Thai forums, they should squeak for the first 5 brake applications then they are warm enough for normal driving conditions. In Thailand it's pretty hard to drive over 80 because of the major traffic (about 1000% more than Sydney peak hour :P )

Saying that I saw a drag race between a GT3 Porsche and Ferrari on the Chon Buri express lane :)

Edited by Marty0001

However Evo's STI's Clubsports Falcon Turbos etc the list of family and non track cars that have Brembos installed goes on. I totally agree with you regarding upgrading all 4 calipers and rotors.

Have a read of Steve's post again. He is referring to having much larger brakes on the front without doing anything to the rear. These cars you are referring to like the EVO's etc, if you pay attention, you will notice that a larger front brake upgrade is complimented with a rear brake upgrade. Take the XR6 for example. A standard XR6 has 298mm rotors on the front and 303mm rotors on the rear. The XR6 Turbo on the other hand has 322mm rotors on the front and 328mm rotors on the rear. No point being able to stop on a dime in a straight line if it can't keep your car controlled when trying to brake in other scenarios.

Have a read of Steve's post again. He is referring to having much larger brakes on the front without doing anything to the rear. These cars you are referring to like the EVO's etc, if you pay attention, you will notice that a larger front brake upgrade is complimented with a rear brake upgrade. Take the XR6 for example. A standard XR6 has 298mm rotors on the front and 303mm rotors on the rear. The XR6 Turbo on the other hand has 322mm rotors on the front and 328mm rotors on the rear. No point being able to stop on a dime in a straight line if it can't keep your car controlled when trying to brake in other scenarios.

Yeah of course mate that's why I said I agree with all four being upgraded. I would hate to see the effects of heavy braking with 6 pot @ the front and stock on the back, Would look good tho lol bit of a front mono hahahaha

I personally feel that the stock brakes before upgrading my Rotors and pads where quite average. Now they are much better but not perfect for my aggressive driving style :P I would definitely like to upgrade in the next year, I will not go for 6 pot that's just going overboard plus more money than sense The Thai's can afford it because they have good jobs and parts are at least 80% cheaper. I will go the Front and Rear Brembo or Endless kits.

I have now been told there's a Toyota God and VIP upgrade shop in Chon Buri, I will get my cousins email and see if I can get a web address for the upgrade centre and learn more about the brake modifications / prices /and int availability. Becaiuse according to the Thai's it's under 2k for upgrading all 4. If I can keep a secret bank account from the wife and save 2K that will be awesome!!! she wouldn't even notice the Big F Off brakes hahaha :P

Those Brembo's aren't that much pricier than buying the genuine TRD front package. With that sort of difference, though, as has been said, definately a 4 corners upgrade, not just the fronts. EBD can only do so much. And on that thought, given the ECU doesn't no the balance between front and rear brakes has changed, EBD probably wouldn't be able to counter it anyway.

No point being able to stop on a dime in a straight line if it can't keep your car controlled when trying to brake in other scenarios.

Since when does that matter to Falcon owners? I thought the extent of the Falcodore philosophy was to be the fastest when dragging each other at the lights.

In the spirit of not being able to leave things bloody well alone, I'm now researching options to upgrade the rear brakes. I had considered going back to the Kluger but these are a solid 10mm disc and I really want something vented to make the update worthwhile.

I'm currently examining the Mitsubishi 380 rear brakes.

The rear rotor on these is a decent 302mm x 18mm vented, compared to the Aurion standard rear which is 286mm x 10mm. This small size increase would well compliment the Kluger front brakes and would cool substantially better as well.

Furthermore I've found the inside internal diameter of the 380 brakes are 190mm with a max of 191mm. This is VERY close to the Aurion rear internal hat diameter which I also believe is 190mm but I can't be sure until I get them off the car later this week.

The 380 disc is also 5 x 114.3 stud pattern, but would require a hub ring (same as the TRD front brakes did previously) to bring it down from 69mm to the Aurion's 62mm.

The height is slightly different but shouldn't be a huge issue as the next big question is calipers!

Whilst I would be greatly surprised if these were also a direct bolt on, I can't be sure until I inspect one which I am planning to do later this week. It is more likely the case that a simple bracket might be required. Further the banjo bolt arrangement might be different again. Naturally the idea is to keep things cheap so custom brake lines and adaptor brackets aren't ideal, especially with the cost of the front brakes being so low.

Unless reality intervenes I plan on having a final answer to this by this Friday or Saturday

• Like 1

How about the Nissan 350Z/370Z brakes?

At this stage mostly availability. 380s are a dime a dozen at wreckers and their parts are cheap, which is keeping in which my goal of a cheap upgrade. The Nissan are similar, but I'm not sure of the inner Hat size so I can't comment on suitability. As for the caliper, the question is the same as with the Mitsubishi, but Mitsubishi are PBR items so I have a fairly good idea of what brake line attachment they use plus the quality of the caliper itself. Also apart from being slightly larger, the Nissan's are thinner than the Mitsubishi so it probably works out the same.

My opinion? If you have a theory, test it out. On paper I'm sure many brakes could fit but this is the best lead I've had to date

Recently picked up a complete 329mm Kluger setup from the wreckers for just $300. (Calipers, rotors and pads)

Did a prelim test fit, and the calipers cleared the circumference of my SP23 rims by no more than 2mm!! Getting the rotors machined today. Will be painting the calipers next week, but wont be installing them till my current pads wear out. (I also have a set of 14" jellybean slot mags (8" wide and +5 offset) which i want to get a photoshoot done with first, and that can only be done with stock brakes on my camry)

Drove to the other side of town today and pulled a drivers side caliper/rotor off an old Mitsubishi 380 ex-taxi, got em home and started experimenting. Some really interesting stuff.

First of all, the 380 uses the exact same Banjo bolt/brake line setup as the Aurion - which is natural because the caliper is a PBR caliper that is almost an exact match for the Aurion version. They're so similar they even bolt up to the others caliper bracket. The only real difference is that the 380's caliper bracket is for a much thicker disc... and unfortunately has a bolt spacing of 140mm where the Aurion one is 100mm <_<

Also despite being listed differently on the Bendix website, the pads are also virtually identical. Some very slight differences but I have no doubt they'd be interchangeable in a pinch.

Now the fun part.

To fit these you will need a very simple 8mm steel bracket, and cut the splash guard. I actually removed the splash guard so I could design the bracket, and have already got a prototype made out of MDF ready to be replicated in a CAD program this weekend. When test fitted on my Aurion everything lines up perfectly, as the pictures below will show.

In a nutshell, as the caliper is almost identical, the only "extra" braking you are getting is from the additional leverage of a bigger disc - this will offset the bigger front brakes very well. Also going from a 10mm solid disc to an 18mm vented will offer a substantial increase in cooling as well.

The main problem in the rear upgrade is the cost. As the 380 are a few years old now I couldn't find any that had a decent condition rotor (as the pictures will show), which means a new set would need to be sourced. RDA want about $300 for a pair of slotted ones, which is about par for rear slotted brakes.

Further you will need a hub spacer machined up to keep things safe. I've seen this done for about $30 a pair on Andrew357's Camry when he did his TRD brake upgrade.

The calipers were cheap, only $45 each from the wrecker and in good enough nick that with a cleanup they'll be fine.

I've previously had brackets cut at $120 a pair for my previous front brake upgrade, however that's the minimum charge. In this case, it's $120 for a pair or $120 for 2 pairs. Might even get 3 pairs for the same price, so I'll be looking for something to do this upgrade with me in the near future to share the cost. If interested pipe up.

Rough pricing

Rotors - $300 (RDA slotted)

Calipers - $90

Hub Rings - $30

Pads - $? haven't priced yet

Brackets - $120 (or $60, or $40 etc)

Total - $430 to $570ish

This is definitely on my to-do list but will take a small bit of time due to stuff I have going on.

Will post more in the next few days

post-13080-0-03287500-1318486795_thumb.j

post-13080-0-66279600-1318486802_thumb.j

post-13080-0-61971900-1318486807_thumb.j

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

These are the finished brackets I'll be using for the rear brake upgrade - They are aluminium and are 10mm thick. They are very solid and a test fit confirmed they'll work well.

post-13080-0-29454400-1324023441_thumb.j

Question - For those states where you have to get road worthy’s half or yearly you would need to get an engineering cert for this mod yes? As it’s not strictly bolt straight on mod and was never designed for Aurion from the word go? Even though kluger’s underpinnings are closely related to Aurion?

Question - For those states where you have to get road worthy’s half or yearly you would need to get an engineering cert for this mod yes? As it’s not strictly bolt straight on mod and was never designed for Aurion from the word go? Even though kluger’s underpinnings are closely related to Aurion?

You will need a mod plate for them as they are non-standard, especially with the brackets. That's for QLD anyway.

Yeah thought so, something for future modders to consider when looking at doing this mod. Although i should probably have one for the TRD brake package on my car even though it’s a bolt straight on affair.