Brake Options - Standard Aurion

Steven

Yeah thought so, something for future modders to consider when looking at doing this mod. Although i should probably have one for the TRD brake package on my car even though it’s a bolt straight on affair.

I think you're fine with the TRD brakes as they were fitted to an Aurion from the factory and were designed for the car (ie same brake booster/master cylinder etc).

Andrew357 would technically need a mod plate, and even though the Kluger brakes bolt straight on so would I. In neither case it shouldn't be much of an engineering issue though.

My 380 rear brakes, as they include a bracket, should need an engineer to okay it first. Having a bracket isn't a no-no it just needs to be strong enough, which I can guarantee mine is. Further even though I'm changing the caliper, the new caliper is a PBR item and is virtually the same as the stock caliper - heck I could even reuse my current caliper in the 380's caliper bracket (made for 18mm rotor) if I so choose.

Matt, how does RAC feel about your TRD brakes? Is it listed as a mod on your policy or anything?

Joys of knowing the manager lol, wasnt an issue as they are a Toyota Genuine Part "upgrade"

• 1 month later...

Time to service the brakes again - as pointed out by the dealer's service rep.

rather than going OEM Toyota, I hit up Warringah Brake & Clutch Centre (t 02 9938 3055) for some QFM pads.

They also sourced the correct sized front pads (QDB 8397 and not the db1474 which I pointed out before is smaller than stock).

The RDA slotted rotors I had has taken quite a beating from some Bendix GCT and RDA standard brakes, so they needed machining, QED at WB&CC. The RDA's while still within spec will probably need to be replaced at the next pad change.

Opted for the QFM A1RMs performance pads - lets see how these go.

IMAG1019.jpg

IMAG1020.jpg

Ok - fitted, bedded in and down for a spin up to the Jenolan caves today.

BITE:

I was worried that the pads were going to have a very sharp bite but have found it to be quite progressive. It starts to slow the car but does bite quite aggressively with more pedal force - make sure you have good tyres - I'm using Kumho KU31 225/50 R 17 and it only just keeps up with these pads. Having said that, in today's drive, while aggressive in some sections with heaps of left foot braking, ABS never kicked in. At speeds, stop on the brakes and it hauls up really hard and fast compared to the previous pads I was using (RDA SM - back in Nov 2009 - Gee has it been that long? Probably did over 40K km! on those pads!)

FEEL:

I thought the pedal felt abit wooden, however, I was still able to modulate the brakes although there were a couple of times where the car hauled up faster than I felt it was.

STREETABILITY:

I reckon it's abit overkill for the street, however if you like touge runs in the middle of the night....

I like the aggressiveness and more than once, found myself stomping on the brakes un-necessarily just to feel the bite. Heh heh.

It makes noise - not the racing brakes moan - "oooonnnnnnnnn" but a long soft scratchy whine.

and it will chew your rotors... after today's run, I already notice the rotors getting chewed into.

Ultimately, its not a bad set of pads for the price, good bite, aggressive and stood up to my left foot braking without losing feel - certainly good for stopping a heavy Aurion.

Just be aware of the noise (turn the stereo up) and the wear on the rotors.

The A1RM's are very aggressive and you won't be getting much life from your rotors.

The HPX's are a FAR better choice, especially if you aren't tracking your car regularly. Same braking co-efficient when cold, good heat tolerance, not aggressive on your rotors, low dust and low/no noise.

The A1RM's are very aggressive and you won't be getting much life from your rotors.

The HPX's are a FAR better choice, especially if you aren't tracking your car regularly. Same braking co-efficient when cold, good heat tolerance, not aggressive on your rotors, low dust and low/no noise.

Yeah - that's probably true, but I wanted to try the A1s. I reckon my rotors won't outlast the pads but I have the stock rotors as spare anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a thought, which may or may not have been mentioned before, but I can't seem to find the button to search within this thread, either because I'm blind or there isn't one, and I have better things to do than manually scouring 11 pages at 9:30 on Sunday night (like drinking scotch and watching television).

So... has anybody bothered to price up a TRD brake package direct from PBR? They'd likely come out more expensive than fitting the Kluger brakes, and definitely wouldn't be TRD red or have the TRD logos, but could possibly be cheaper than the Toyota genuine branded article.

Just a thought, which may or may not have been mentioned before, but I can't seem to find the button to search within this thread, either because I'm blind or there isn't one, and I have better things to do than manually scouring 11 pages at 9:30 on Sunday night (like drinking scotch and watching television).

So... has anybody bothered to price up a TRD brake package direct from PBR? They'd likely come out more expensive than fitting the Kluger brakes, and definitely wouldn't be TRD red or have the TRD logos, but could possibly be cheaper than the Toyota genuine branded article.

I have made 3 attempts to contact PBR regarding brakes and I have never recieved a reply from them.

Well they're a friendly bunch, then. I spose they're comfy enough with their supply contracts with the major carmakes to be bothered about making a few quid out of the rest of us. Thats capitalism.

I guess we can as good as rule that out.

Ok been sussing out brake options here in perth and sorta stumbled to a dead end...

Local brake part dealer (one of the best/biggest in perth) say that there are slotted rotors for front only / but no pads that are designed to suit slotted rotors on Aurions ( which i know is BS )

Also cant get slotted for rear at all, not sure about the rear performance pads tho...

For the Slotted fronts it was gonna cost $260 (includes shipment from east) for each rotor + $130+ for 1 pair of pads. ( i just about fell off the mower at work when he said that haha )

Now im sort of stuck, do I or don't I.....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS / HELP / LOVE

(Was DBA Street series rotor i think | And bendix performace or some sh*t for pads)

Cheers metal :P

PBR certainly will sell to the public they offer direct bolt on kits for Commodore and falcon and since the TRD package is 95% the same as HSV's Y and Z series performance Brake package they should be able to come to the party but of course like Harrop/Eaton with the TVS it won't have "TRD" branded on it but they should be able to offer a compatible package.

Rotors - quite a number can be found..e.g.

http://www.ebay.com....-All-Categories

Likewise - pads

Otherwise, I've beengiven a quote for QFM HPX pads at $88 a set.

Hope that helps.

Ok been sussing out brake options here in perth and sorta stumbled to a dead end...

Local brake part dealer (one of the best/biggest in perth) say that there are slotted rotors for front only / but no pads that are designed to suit slotted rotors on Aurions ( which i know is BS )

Also cant get slotted for rear at all, not sure about the rear performance pads tho...

For the Slotted fronts it was gonna cost $260 (includes shipment from east) for each rotor + $130+ for 1 pair of pads. ( i just about fell off the mower at work when he said that haha )

Now im sort of stuck, do I or don't I.....I NEED YOUR OPINIONS / HELP / LOVE

(Was DBA Street series rotor i think | And bendix performace or some sh*t for pads)

Cheers metal :P

• 5 months later...

Recently picked up a complete 329mm Kluger setup from the wreckers for just $300. (Calipers, rotors and pads)

The only thing was that the Kluger dust cover wouldnt fit due to different mounting positions (it would hit the disc when mounted on the camry)

1999 i4 camry brakes (17" Rim) [i am well aware that the rims are dirty. car will be washed soon!]:

OEMi4.jpg

329mm Kluger Setup:

329mmKluger.jpg

Size Comparison of 4cyl Camry vs 329mm Kluger's:

RotorComparison.jpg

Will clean the wheels up and take some proper shots later.

Edited by curry__muncha

• 2 weeks later...

I've found a full set of calipers (front and rear) off a Toyota highlander (American kluger). Do you guys think that they will fit on the aurion and same as the klugers? Is it even worth changing the rears? Also apart from rotors calipers and pads will I need any other parts?

They should fit without any worries (the fronts at the very least), Its a good idea to grab some silicone grease to lube up the sliding pins and the shims for the brake pads. As well as brake fluid, as you can lose a fair bit if you're not quick when you swap over the brake lines to the newer calipers during the change. You may also need a C/G-clamp to push the pistons of the calipers back in.