Brake Options - Standard Aurion

Steven

Yep, definite financial pain with TRD rotor/pads.

Looking at getting new rotors myself. Did pick up a pair or RDA's off ebay for a decent price yonks back, though I'm not going to touch the current offerings for the fronts. $350ish for a front pair of RDAs that a bit of online reading suggested they're prone to warping at the drop of a pin. I haven't seen the gold version for a while. And when I contacted a brake place to find out the cost of DBA rotors for the front, it was about $380. Each.

Think I'll have to check out what a pair of Corvette rotors will damage me with shipping & exchange, not to mention getting the holes machined.

Sigh.

Me personally, I'd go the TRD because they are a "factory upgrade" they are genuine Toyota, they are red and have TRD on them and they should perform better then standard brakes.

I'd like the TRD rims too.

Or the White LE rims, they are nice too.

The main advantage of the TRD brakes over the Kluger brakes is perhaps that they don't require engineer certification, given that they are parts available from the factory for the Aurion. I've yet to go about getting an engineer's certificate for the upgrade from stock Aurion brakes to the Kluger two pot calipers.

imho, trd brakes would be a waste, unless you guys track...

the kluger brakes seems more worth, just paint it red and add some decals if you really wanted lol...

why not get some braided lines for a more sturdy feel ?

• 1 year later...
3 hours ago, matt36415 said:

This is probably a silly question....

With Kluger front brakes, could the stock Aurion front brakes be used on the rear wheels? I have not tried or checked fitting... Just wondering.

No. 

• 3 years later...

So... has anyone found a rear brake upgrade (other than different pads)? Are there larger discs and callipers that bolt on?

I have kluger disc, caliper on front, lowered, kyb shocks, larger rear sway bar, 245/45/18 tyres... so the rear brakes are the last of this type of things I would like to do. 

For myself the Aurion is at 190k and I just purchased the below the rears that was due for replacement;

• DBA2707S | DBA Street Series T2 Slotted Brake Rotor
  • DB1475HPX | QFM HPX Brake Pads

For the fronts I've already swapped it for;

• DBA2709S | DBA Street Series T2 Slotted Brake Rotor
  • 1467.02 | Remsa HPT Brake Pads (DB2243)

That was about 2 years ago for the fronts, and FYI the Remsa pads stops VERY well but my stock rims are coated with brake dust fair quickly just as advertised.

PS: That's a nice setup you got there, did you replaced the headlights too? The 2007 headlights particular the low beams has a very dismal 'throw' I've been wanting to replace it for years but the car spends 90% of the time driving in broad daylight.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matt36415 said:

So... has anyone found a rear brake upgrade (other than different pads)? Are there larger discs and callipers that bolt on?

I have kluger disc, caliper on front, lowered, kyb shocks, larger rear sway bar, 245/45/18 tyres... so the rear brakes are the last of this type of things I would like to do. 

kluger fronts calipers are enough if you dont intend to take it further and go track, if your rotors arent upgraded, i suggest going for some v-max slotteds, qfmA1rm are the go-tos for front pads, and hpx for rear. anything more, youd probably have deep pockets, then go for hawks, dixcels. 

you dont need "bigger" rear brakes .. even normal pads will do. heck i even tracked on normal pads on the rear

the next upgrade for fronts would probably be 4pots, iirc, there are brackets that you can get customized so you can bolt it on the fronts. 

try looking at lexus ls400 front calipers, i think they go on a 330mm rotor. do some measuring, maybe they fit onto your brake hub, otheriwse fabricate or look for custom caliper mounts

On 8/22/2015 at 9:07 AM, jeffy said:

why not get some braided lines for a more sturdy feel ?

same thing im gonna say 5 years ago. grab some braided lines, and if you are tracking, match the fluid with rbf600. 

12 hours ago, Speedz said:

PS: That's a nice setup you got there, did you replaced the headlights too? The 2007 headlights particular the low beams has a very dismal 'throw' I've been wanting to replace it for years but the car spends 90% of the time driving in broad daylight.

I have the stedi 1000lumen parker led globes but I live in Orange so its not hard to be out of town so I also have a led light bar. They are very common here. It is far wider and longer beam than headlights. 

• Like 1