Do i need hub rings/hubcentric rings?

Hey fellas, just wondering if i need hubcentric rings for my new wheels, and if so..what size do i look at getting at?

Reason why i ask is vinh brought it to my attention and said i needed it, however upon researching what they actually were i stumbled across various places that say you do and you dont need it. (my old set, i didnt have hub centric rings) so any extra help would be great!!

thanks!

Edited by private number

Not able to help with the size or what type you should get, but with my aftermarket wheels the manufacturer also sent out some hubcentric rings. They did take a while to send out the right ones though and when driving it felt like they were fine, until I hit 80km/h and above. I started to feel vibrations at any speed above 80km/h. Not big vibrations but enough to notice.

After the manufacturer sent out the right hubcentric rings for my car and were fitted the vibrations were gone. I've even tracked her and at high speeds there is no vibrations. (I tracked her with stock wheels but I've also equaled the track speed on my aftermarket wheels). Also done all my quarter mile passes on the aftermarket wheels and hit speeds of 160km/h with no vibrations.

ninja edit ph34r.gif

My ones were really easy to install. A bit tight but not really too hard considering the other parts of the car. I would say tyre factory should have them, although living in Bendigo I've not had much experience with them. Only once when my mate down Melbourne was buying some wheels from them.

Reason why i ask is vinh brought it to my attention and said i needed it, however upon researching what they actually were i stumbled across various places that say you do and you dont need it. (my old set, i didnt have hub centric rings) so any extra help would be great!!

thanks!

the answer to that is you MUST use hub rings.

The purpose of the wheel nuts is to hold the rim to the hub. the purpose of the hub centre (a big dowl) is to take the load of the wheel. Not using the hub ring means your rims are transfering the load through the hub bolts, putting them into shear, which is bad in this instance.

Check on the net for the size of your centre hole, then check your wheel's centre bore hole just incase they're larger than normal.

You guys haven't seen the damage they can do without the hubcentric rings. I've seen a set of TE37s, the exterior was pretty, if you look at the centre bore, it looked like someone grabbed a grinder and grinded it down. We're talking some of the best rims in the business... Had to get metal hub rings custom fab'd and fitted in to ensure it was circular.

Thanks for that! Would explain why my stock nuts are hard to get off. Anyone know what size I should get? One tyre shop said 60 something. The rest don't know :s

The Camry is 60.1mm

You also need to measure the centre bore of you wheel (Most likely 73.1mm)

Then get a hub centric ring, whose inner diameter is 60.1mm, and the outer is 73.1mm.

Edited by u54mot

I know this is stupid, but what does the 98-101 and the 108-130 Represent? :s

They refer to the PCD of the wheels, which is in reference to where the lug nuts/wheels studs are located.

The Camry is 5x114.3. (5=number of holes, 114.3 the diameter of the circle that the holes form)

Since the wheels on that website are custom made, they have listed all the PCD's that the wheels can come in.

Edited by u54mot

Oh. So then, my centre bore therefor would be 69.1mm and 79.5mm as my pcd of 114.3 fits in the 108-130 category.

Correct?

Yes i would say so, but i would still measure it to check it.

if it is correct then you will need to buy a 79.5mm to 60.1mm hub centric ring. Which is available on that website.

On the bottom of SSR Aluminum Hub Centric Rings listed as PARTS199

I'm still confused, ZRE is 60.1mm which will go on the hub but what should the other side(wheel side) look like? I quickly found these but I see the rim just resting on it and not sitting over it..

anyone suggest what and where to buy? or pics of what they have...

Sorry but I just don't understand it,think i've missed something.

My link

edit: sorry I mean spacers NOT rings

I'm still confused, ZRE is 60.1mm which will go on the hub but what should the other side(wheel side) look like? I quickly found these but I see the rim just resting on it and not sitting over it..

anyone suggest what and where to buy? or pics of what they have...

Sorry but I just don't understand it,think i've missed something.

My link

Those are spacers.

Here's a link to a set of Hub Centric Rings