2zzge AE82 sedan conversion

CHA54

made a start on the dump pipe this weekend after replacing all the brakes on my forester.

Using a section of 2" mandrel bent tubing, I split it in half and then welded a couple of sections in between the halves so the resulting outlet has the same circumference as a bit of 3" tubing. Still a bit of shaping to go on the outlet so it's a nice transition but it will work well enough.

One cool thing I discovered is that it's possible to install the turbo & manifold as one piece :)

AE82_112.JPG

AE82_113.JPG

AE82_114.JPG

AE82_115.JPG

AE82_116.JPG

AE82_117.JPG

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorted the rest of the fuel feed over the weekend.

Grabbed a Z373 filter, some M14 barb'd banjo's, a couple of weld-on -6 fittings and some scrap steel and came up with this:

AE82_118.JPG

AE82_119.JPG

AE82_120.JPG

AE82_121.JPG

Also started fitting the AC stuff so I can figure out what size/style cooler will fit and finished modding the shift cable bracket for the box

got the fan shroud sorted yesterday arvo and finished it off this morning, used 2mm alloy sheet for the face and 12x3 bar for the top and bottom ribs, then 35x3 bar for the side plates. Since I dont have a pan brake I just welded the whole lot up, also welded some tabs to the side of the cooler and installed some m6 nutserts to them so the shroud can be bolted down securely. The fans are a pair of 11" low profile SPAL's purchased directly from SPAL USA as they're far too expensive locally.

AE82_122.JPG

AE82_123.JPG

AE82_124.JPG

AE82_125.JPG

Sorted the plenum so it can be bolted up permanently. Chopped out a hole and welded in some 10mm plate drilled and tapped for a bosch combo 3bar map/intake air temp sensor. Turned out better than expected:

AE82_126.JPG

AE82_127.JPG

AE82_128.JPG

AE82_129.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

cooler pipes are now basically done, just brackets, BOV and shield lugs to be added.

Decided to run the outlet pipe over the turbo/manifold to make the routing shorter and easier. There will be a couple of ACL Race heatshields in between with 10mm air gaps to try and keep some heat out of it.

AE82_146.JPG

AE82_147.JPG

AE82_148.JPG

AE82_149.JPG

Basic layout of the intake is complete, more brackets, BOV mount/return and finish-welding still left to do.

Used one of the usual 6" base K&N filter/alloy podram that I use on most of my cars

AE82_152.JPG

Threw the shafts in today to check how much room is available for the dump pipe, looks like there's plenty of space for a 3" dump to pass between the intermediate shaft and the steering rack. Will be interesting to see how the clearance in an AE92 compares once this one's out of the shed.

Also bracketed the intake pipe to the top gearbox engine mount. Ripped the vibration dampener off the top of the mount and threaded the remaining post with an M6 die. Chopped up some square alloy tube, bit of grinding, linishing, welding and it's all sorted...

AE82_159.JPG

AE82_156.JPG

AE82_157.JPG

AE82_158.JPG

• 2 weeks later...