83 RN46 Hilux

Hi, I've got a 83 RN46 Petrol Hilux that I've just done a complete engine rebuild in - goes mint!

But.....I took it off road yesterday for the first time in a little water and it didn't go to well. It sits pretty high on 33" mud tyres but still could have done better. I need some waterproofing help for the dizzy and coil pack please?? Can you buy waterproof distributors?? Am going to put a sort of splash/skid plate on the bottom of it to keep some of the water out.

Also, I've come to the conclusion I don't have a very good rear diff - does anyone know of a LSD or other diff that would go straight in please??

Who would be best to talk to about this?

Thanks heaps!!

post-23857-0-83692200-1305499786_thumb.j

Edited by Nzpezza

I have a 95 lux with a v6 3.8 convertion and had the water issue i just cover dizzy and injectors and crank angle senser in wd40 keep most water off and help despers it to if you need to get water out. have you got inner wheel plastic?? if not make some up with rubber as my 33" use to throw up alot of water and mud and sand till i made some up. And under plates help too.

I have a 95 lux with a v6 3.8 convertion and had the water issue i just cover dizzy and injectors and crank angle senser in wd40 keep most water off and help despers it to if you need to get water out. have you got inner wheel plastic?? if not make some up with rubber as my 33" use to throw up alot of water and mud and sand till i made some up. And under plates help too.

Thanks mate, who made up your under plates and what did you use? Sheet metal? Steel plates? Ali will be too soft aye? I assume they are screwed on so you can still get to the engine if you need too?

Thank you!

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

In answer to your diff question, I have a feeling that that ratio diff (4.875 I think?)was used in quite a few models so there should be plenty of info available from any credible diff rebuilder as to what works best. I'm in contact with most around Victoria, but if you give me your region I could probably find some one reliable to recommend.