New FT-86

DemonRolla

Actually that article gives a clue as to the standard performance of these - 0 to 100km/h in 6.8 seconds, which tops the Aurion at 7.4 seconds.

The Aurion has plenty of power to be a bit of fun so this should drop any thoughts of the FT-86 being a slouch. Granted it isn't a street weapon but out of an N/A 4 cylinder of only 2 litres I can see this little beaut (especially if a supercharged version is released) at being a hoot.

Still would prefer Turbo over supercharged though.

Better get to saving

• Like 1

Ahhh.. that last line is a winner:

Tada also confirmed that it was so important to his team that even the standard GT 86 drifted properly that special tests were incorporated into the car’s development programme specifically for this purpose, ‘the first time this has ever been done on any Toyota.’

:yahoo:

I dunno i reckon to 160 the aurion would leave one of these for dead. 205nm really is puny and as speeds rise it’s all about torque. Also remember in every test done by magazines Aurion’s 0-100 time has being 6.8seconds sooo yeah id think the Aurion will be a quicker car in a straight line. but of course we know the world is our oyster when it comes to tunning. Can’t wait to spy this sucker in Japan land p

86Data.jpg

I gather the green panels are standard, and the yellows are available as options.

Lucky I can read some Japanese ...

Some differences between the GT-APEX and GTV include:

UV cut glass

Rear spoiler (GTV option)

Climate control

Bucket seats (GT-APEX option only)

Just released in newspapers this morning in Adelaide, the '86's starting RRP AU$32,000...

Any word where they got the price? All I've found so far was saying that the AE86 was the same as an average uni graduate (here). They then made the calculation that the current Japanese graduate average start wage is 2.5 million yen, or about US$32,000.

SUBARU claims fatherhood of the Toyota 86 that is also the BRZ.

Subaru says it is the creator of the two all-new sports cars which will be sold simultaneously as its BRZ and the Toyota 86.

subaru-BRZ-Toyota-86_w.jpg

The smaller of the two Japanese makers, who are partners in the project, says it is responsible for all the important stuff in the BRZ-86 and Toyota only added the froth and bubble once the hard work was done.

Subaru did the engine, chassis, suspension and brakes in the project, and the 86 even has a signature Subaru exhaust note from its flat-four engine.

The car definitely looks like a Toyota, and is missing the all-wheel drive that has become a Subaru signature in Australia, but company chief Nick Senior says there is no doubt about who was responsible for the car.

"It is, at the end of the day, a Subaru," Senior says bluntly to Carsguide. "Toyota input, at the end of the day, was design and product planning."

His claim is sure to spark a stoush as the doors are thrown open this morning at the Tokyo Motor Show and people can decide for themselves as the two production cars can be assessed side-by-side for the first time.

Toyota has already given journalists a first drive experience in its 86 - and it's a terrific car - while Subaru will follow soon with the BRZ. Senior says anyone who drives the 86 or the BRZ will know that it's a Subaru at heart.

"They have poured a lot of Subaru into this car. it is a driver's car," he says. "The car, the drivetrain and the driving experience is all Subaru. That's one of the things that's given us a real cause for discussion and debate about this car and whether it comes to Australia."

Subaru is also worried that it might not be able to match Toyota's plan for a starting price in the low $30,000s, perhaps as little as $32,000.

"We are studying. We won't make a decision until later in December," Senior says. But he seems to be wavering from his previous assertion that the BRZ was unlikely for Australia because two of the brand's local pillars are all-wheel drive and turbocharging for its performance cars, both missing from the BRZ.

"It's a process that started several years ago. It is great, at last, that the car breaks cover," he says. "More people have seen it now ... and I think that it ticks off a lot of boxes.

"What Fuji has said for some time is they would like to consider it, and take it. But the final decision is up to us."

Paul Gover road tests and reviews the new Toyota 86 sports car at its international launch.

Forget all about the Celica, Supra and even the MR2. When Toyota finally decided it was time to get serious about a 21st century hero car, to put some much-needed shine on its badge, it discarded all of its wimpy imitation sports cars.

It turned to the history books for inspiration, listened to enthusiastic young owners of modified cars, tapped Subaru for engineering expertise, wrote big cheques and rejected committee-style decisions on styling, then went all-out for the finish line. And a starting price in Australia in the low $30,000s.

Livewire company chief Akio Toyoda, a part-time racer who knows his family company will not continue at the top if it cannot combat the Koreans and put some flavour into its vanilla lineup, as well as winning younger buyers to the brand, stayed close to the project and added his guidance when necessary.

The result, based on a super-brief Carsguide taste at Fuji Speedway, is a car that easily trumps anything Toyota has done since the original Lexus LS400 in 1989. The Toyota 86 is lively, enjoyable, youthful and likely to be affordable as well.

Alright, it sounds like a Subaru RX, some of the cabin equipment is a bit cheap, and it could definitely cope with a lot more than the standard 147 kiloWatts of power, but the 86er is a car you want to drive. And it drifts like a beauty.

VALUE

When Toyota says it's aiming for a starting price in the low $30,000 range you have to take the 86 very, very seriously. That single price line decision could even be enough to push Subaru Australia away from bringing the 86er's clone cousin, the BRZ, downunder.

A sharp price in the thirties is going to rattle a whole bunch of hot hatches, from the Volkswagen Polo in the twenties to the Golf GTIs and Renault Megane RS in the forties, right up to the Subaru WRX and even the Nissan 370Z in the high sixties. The 86 might not have turbo punch, but it will be tough to beat in any bang-for-bucks assessment.

No-one knows yet what the 86 will carry as standard equipment, but power steer and aircon, a reasonable sound system, alloy wheels and a leather steering wheel will all make the grade.

TECHNOLOGY

The 86 is old school, with the engine in the nose, gearbox in the middle and drive from the rear wheels. But Subaru has done a great job in packaging the chassis for great front-to-rear balance and kept all the heavy mechanical bits low in the chassis.

"We were able to create a car where one plus one equals three," says chief engineer, Tetsuya Tada. "Rather than produce a car with universal appeal, we stick to our purusit of a real sports car. We made no compromise in performance."

So the 2.0-litre boxer engine - part of a new family of flat fours at Subaru - hits the benchmark output of 100 horsepower for every litre thanks to 147 kiloWatts, with 205 Newton-metres of torque. There are six-speed manual and automatic gearboxes, fully-independent suspension, 18-inch alloy wheels and quick rack-and-pinion steering.

The real work went into fine tuning the chassis, and it is possible to completely disconnect any electronic driving assistance. There is ESP stability control, but only for Monday-to-Friday commuting and not weekend fun runs.

"The development is strongly committed to the motorsport tradition. We wanted a car with no compromise. That would be loved by enthusiasts," Tada says.

DESIGN

Toyota did all the bodywork and the cabin, and tapped the 1960s 2000 GT for the basic shape and overall feel. The process for approval went outside the Toyota system, with Akio Toyoda available for extra muscle at decision time.

"If we followed the traditional approach it would be a boring car, but universally accepted. There was no executive committed. We gathered the sports car users from inside the company," says Tada.

The result is a car that is distinctive but not overdone or outrageous, with obvious visual ties to the 2000 GT but a modern take on details like the twin exhausts, face at the front, and flared guards.

Inside, the look is clean and simple and the location of the tachometer - which sits Porsche 911-style in the centre of the instruments - says it all. There is good room for two adults in the front, all the controls are Toyota easy to find and use, and Tada says weekend warriors will find enough space in the tail for a spare set of wheels for drifting and a toolbox.

SAFETY

Just because the 86 is a sports car does not mean scrimping on safety, and Toyota promises a five-star ANCAP rating. The car obviously comes with standard ESP and ABS brakes, but there is no news yet on the airbag package or the fine detail. That will have to wait until just before the on-sale date in April next year.

DRIVING

This is the good bit, because all the talk fades to black when you drop into the colourful 3D world of the 86. The car is even better than I hope, even if the driving only amounts to a handful of laps on a twisty little track at Fuji Speedway. It's more than enough to feel the enthusiasm that has gone into the car and that it - in return - can deliver.

The cabin is cosy, well laid out, and puts the driver first. The gearbox is a snick-snick six-speeder, the steering is light but sensitive and the view is good - although probably not for tight reverse parking.

As I drive out of the pitlane I'm reminded of the importance of this first run, and then that the 86 has a Subaru. The flat-four engine note cannot be disguised and reminds me of a mum's run RX. But that's only for a second, before the engine spins eagerly beyond 6000 revs and it's time for the first set of corners.

This is where the 86 gives me the first big smile, as the grip and balance is fantastic. Unlike many modern cars, the 86 does not have giant tyres and the car is lively and responsive. It's more like a big go-kart than any hot hatch, far more usable than a 370Z, and just plain fun. My time passes quickly as I drive and ride, revelling in a car that is so un-Toyota and so un-Camry. There is definitely some Subaru passion involved.

I can complain a little about the quality in the cabin, with some hard plastics and cheap controls, and also about the lack of torque from the 2-litre engine. And 147 kiloWatts is not a lot today. But the engine is easy to tweak, and will be tuned from 7 today to 10 and beyond by the turbo maniacs in Japan and around the world, and an affordable pricetag will balance any other slight shortcomings.

In years to come I will look back at my first drive in the 86 as a landmark day, not for Toyota but for a new generation of sports car fans who are finally getting a 21st century car that is all about the joy of driving. It's impossible not to love the 86 and what it means to motoring.

VERDICT

The 86 is real fun. It's not like every other Toyota, or any other Toyota sporty car, and that means it should be a winner.

RATING

TOYOTA 86

Price: from $32,000 (Estimate only)

On sale: mid 2012

Body: Two-door hatchback, four seats

Engine: 2.0-litre horizontally-opposed four cylinder

Output: 147kW/7000 revs, 205Nm/6600 revs

Transmission: six-speed manual or automatic, rear-wheel drive

Dimensions: length 4240mm, width 1775mm, height 1300mm, wheelbase 2570mm, tracks 1520/1540mm front/rear

Suspension: front struts, rear double wishbone

Tyres: 215x40R18 front, 225x40R18 rear.

Tuner companies around the world are already working on upgrade parts for the Toyota 86.

Toyota has done its own stuff, displaying a tweaked 86 with extra body bits and a sports cabin with race seats at the global preview of the new coupe, but expects 21st century hotrodders to zero-in on the engine.

Chief engineer Tetsuya Tada says he has visited hundreds of aftermarket companies in Japan and many told him not to bother with a factory turbocharged model.

There is clearly room in the engine bay, and Subaru has vast experience thanks to its WRX and STI models, but anything Toyota did to the 86 was going to be overtaken by tuners.

So Tada, without admitting anything publicly, has obviously chosen to let them have their way and kept the price down on the basic car to encourage sales and leave room for aftermarket spending on extra power.

"We rejected turbo, rejected all-wheel drive, rejected high weight. We listened a lot to car enthusiasts," Tada says.

"Customers can enjoy their own tuning and customise it. It's a car that can evolve with customers. It's not bound by the conventional stereotype."

I acknowledge the work Subaru has done here, I do, but lets be honest....

In my eyes, Toyota planning has shone through far more in the end product. No dismissing the Subi drivetrain either.

- Styling cues taken from the classic 2000GT

- NON turbo

- 2 seater

- Light weight

- Deliberately built to drift

- Conservative power output

- Rear wheel drive

Subaru had never designed these aspects into any of their range, ever. Im not saying they wouldnt, its just they never have.

I wonder why they are trying to steal the thunder? After all, its obvious they have been working on this together for some time now...

Many supercars share the same engines and drive train components, yet you dont hear them claiming rights to brands..

AU or US, give or take 5% isnt much to worry about. Normally in Adelaide papers, we use aussie dollars :P

Y= Yen in the prices ive quoted from Japan obviously...

Above grabs are from Carsguide.com.au as stated by mr2pod above.

AU or US, give or take 5% isnt much to worry about. Normally in Adelaide papers, we use aussie dollars :P

Y= Yen in the prices ive quoted from Japan obviously...

Above grabs are from Carsguide.com.au as stated by mr2pod above.

I would love for that to be the simple case, but unfortunately we get ripped off! In America you can buy a new V6 Camry for US$26,600, which is a fair difference to our Aurion start price of AU$36,000. Hence my question.

Sale price is generally in AU when written in an Australian publication...Its quite simple if you read my post properly.

All prices are estimates until further notice, except the Jap prices which look like they are published by Toyota.