New FT-86

DemonRolla

I acknowledge the work Subaru has done here, I do, but lets be honest....

In my eyes, Toyota planning has shone through far more in the end product. No dismissing the Subi drivetrain either.

- Styling cues taken from the classic 2000GT

- NON turbo

- 2 seater

- Light weight

- Deliberately built to drift

- Conservative power output

- Rear wheel drive

Subaru had never designed these aspects into any of their range, ever. Im not saying they wouldnt, its just they never have.

I wonder why they are trying to steal the thunder? After all, its obvious they have been working on this together for some time now...

Many supercars share the same engines and drive train components, yet you dont hear them claiming rights to brands..

Im a bit puzzled too, and i came up with the conclusion that Subaru will just not be able to compete with toyota on the pricing side of things, so they're trying to win the people over with some form of ethical brand loyalty... I feel there is a hint of a 'sore loser' attitude coming from them..

AFAIK, Toyota did all of the engine electrics and the fuel system, yamaha did the heads, toyota refined the engine block. I also read somewhere that the gearbox is from the Lexus IS...

Toyota was the first and was the only company until now with a boxer engine FR car (Sport 800), as you said the styling has hints of the 2000GT, a light cheap fun RWD car much like the AE86 which is quite modest... So it seems to me this car is more Toyota than Subaru, they just helped with most of development particularly the suspension and chassis, while creating the base design for the engine.

Taken from: http://www.carsguide.com.au/news-and-reviews/car-news/subaru_demands_dna_test_on_toyota

SUBARU claims fatherhood of the Toyota 86 that is also the BRZ.

Subaru says it is the creator of the two all-new sports cars which will be sold simultaneously as its BRZ and the Toyota 86.

The smaller of the two Japanese makers, who are partners in the project, says it is responsible for all the important stuff in the BRZ-86 and Toyota only added the froth and bubble once the hard work was done.

Subaru did the engine, chassis, suspension and brakes in the project, and the 86 even has a signature Subaru exhaust note from its flat-four engine.

The car definitely looks like a Toyota, and is missing the all-wheel drive that has become a Subaru signature in Australia, but company chief Nick Senior says there is no doubt about who was responsible for the car.

"It is, at the end of the day, a Subaru," Senior says bluntly to Carsguide. "Toyota input, at the end of the day, was design and product planning."

His claim is sure to spark a stoush as the doors are thrown open this morning at the Tokyo Motor Show and people can decide for themselves as the two production cars can be assessed side-by-side for the first time.

Toyota has already given journalists a first drive experience in its 86 - and it's a terrific car - while Subaru will follow soon with the BRZ. Senior says anyone who drives the 86 or the BRZ will know that it's a Subaru at heart.

"They have poured a lot of Subaru into this car. it is a driver's car," he says. "The car, the drivetrain and the driving experience is all Subaru. That's one of the things that's given us a real cause for discussion and debate about this car and whether it comes to Australia."

Subaru is also worried that it might not be able to match Toyota's plan for a starting price in the low $30,000s, perhaps as little as $32,000.

"We are studying. We won't make a decision until later in December," Senior says. But he seems to be wavering from his previous assertion that the BRZ was unlikely for Australia because two of the brand's local pillars are all-wheel drive and turbocharging for its performance cars, both missing from the BRZ.

"It's a process that started several years ago. It is great, at last, that the car breaks cover," he says. "More people have seen it now ... and I think that it ticks off a lot of boxes.

"What Fuji has said for some time is they would like to consider it, and take it. But the final decision is up to

Buahahahaha - Sound like any other company we may have heard of? (Apple vs Samsung) :P

The more i see and read about the 86 the more i'm wanting one....in white of course :)

i'm tipping these will become very popular and modding them sounds like it's almost encouraged by the manufacturer,bout time Toyota. :yahoo:

Expect it to arrive here around 32-33 + orc I reckon. But don't ask any Toyota dealer staffers because they won't know ****. As sales staff, we don't really get the word on pricing until about the week the car is released. MAYBE, in some case, Sales Managers/Dealer Principals will know pricing a little earlier but Toyota are generally tight lipped on pricing until right before release.

I'm excited, hope the boss allows me to have one as a drive car.

Well i don't know about more important. Maybe in the eyes of your run of mill aussie bogan it is but i believe it's no less or more important than steering handling and braking. True sports car should do all these things well.

You hit the nail on the head.

If I'm to spend over $40k on a sports car I want 0-100 in under 6 seconds and great handling.

ORRRR maybe we can squeeze a 2GR-FSE in there :P 233kw now that's some proper power/weight going in there!

One can only wish :P

just got that email too.

am i the only one that lol'd at this part:

The rear seatbacks fold down to the front to create a luggage space that can accommodate four sports wheels or two golf bags.

i actually think that they'll sell a LOT of these cars...

pending its final RRP price in australia, its a market thats quite small.

just got that email too.

am i the only one that lol'd at this part:

The rear seatbacks fold down to the front to create a luggage space that can accommodate four sports wheels or two golf bags.

i actually think that they'll sell a LOT of these cars...

pending its final RRP price in australia, its a market thats quite small.

I was talking about that at the last meet (four wheels thing)... Its a damn good idea, throw your slicks in the back, drive to track, swap wheels, flog ***** out of car... win.

• 2 weeks later...

The WRX engine will go straight in, engine mounts are identical - so is trans bolt pattern

Unfortunately not. The boxer sits too low and far back in the 86's chassis for even the factory turbo set up too fit up let alone the transplant form an STI, sure with some cutting and shutting anything will fit but as a simple engine out engine in mod it's not quite that easy.

I still want one.

People seem to miss the point of this car, its meant to be lightweight, revvy and handle well.

It's not meant to be the new supra or some super fast machine. Its about the concept 'its more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow'

HEAR HEAR!! Finally someone agrees!!

Totally understand what you guys are saying, but for me I really don't care how fast or slow it is, it's got to look right, and this doesn't to me...

I tried to like it from the beginning but the Subaru part put me off, and the final design just killed it....

If it was ALL Toyota maybe, but now I would take a Genesis Coupe over this.. It hurts to say sad.gif

After reading today that Subaru didn't have as much input than I thought, kinda changing my mind, just a little