Fitting a new headunit!

hey guys,

I've been thinking for quite some time to fit in a new head unit into my 2003 toyota corolla ascent (hatchback) and i'm wondering has anyone here done it before? i don't want to purchase a headunit that wont fit.

First of all i want to know if any alpine headunit would be compatible with my vehicle

The head unit i am going to get is

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-7564-cde-102-alpine-cdmp3wmaaac-receiver-and-ipod-controller.aspx

If there is any suggestions please do share it, any information is helpful, cause i looking forward to getting it installed!

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=450792

There you go mate.

Should cover the basics of the install.

Honestly if you can spare the cash pick on of the units i got up.

They are well worth the $175 for Bluetooth, DVD, USB etc

Double Din HU's look so good in the Ascents because of the location, but ANY headunit wil fit in your car.

Double or Single Din, they are universal, you will probably just have to grab a mounting kit or a fascia or something (google or search)

Edited by RollaRollin

sweet man, thanks! i wasnt too sure, but now i'll on and order a headunit cheers!

http://au.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=forums&section=findpost&pid=450792

There you go mate.

Double Din HU's look so good in the Ascents because of the location, but ANY headunit wil fit in your car.

Double or Single Din, they are universal, you will probably just have to grab a mounting kit or a fascia or something (google or search)

well i went to see some guys about putting it in, cause i need a facia because it's a single din and the corolla is a double din

the guy said you gota be careful because the wires behind them can all be interrelated to the cars headlights,signals etc, and it will cause your car to not start if you tamper with it..

can anyone clarify or confirm with that?

The guy just wanted your business.

You only need to buy the wiring harness & single din fascia kit and the rest are just plug & play.

No cutting or stripping of wires.

well i went to see some guys about putting it in, cause i need a facia because it's a single din and the corolla is a double din

the guy said you gota be careful because the wires behind them can all be interrelated to the cars headlights,signals etc, and it will cause your car to not start if you tamper with it..

can anyone clarify or confirm with that?

Yeh mate easy to do it yourself buy the wiring which will plug straight into your car from supercheap and you will have buy a single din pocket if you go to jb hi fi you can get ones for the Toyota which come with the little side lovers as the original is wider than the one your buying so you will defiantly need one

I concur. I recently installed a China made DVD/GPS head unit and found nothing behind the fascia except for the antenna wire and harness/plugs for the original stereo. You may have to do some modification of the brackets though.

thanks guys, i just bought an alpine cde 121e from jb.

all i need now is a double din facia, cause the headunit is a single din but whatevers stuck to my unit now is a double din..

how much did you get your facias from, and the wiring? harness? what's it called?

Go go Autobarn and tell them what you want.

They are able to help you up.

thanks guys, i just bought an alpine cde 121e from jb.

all i need now is a double din facia, cause the headunit is a single din but whatevers stuck to my unit now is a double din..

how much did you get your facias from, and the wiring? harness? what's it called?

I had a look at your posts; where did you get that corolla to iso?

i went to supercheap auto the ones they have didnt fit; autobarn gave me one and it didnt fit either, so now i have to order one in.. hopefully it'll fit..

There you go mate.

^^ read that. the-converter did the post.

The head unit should bolt straight up into the bottom part of the Toyota brackets.

All you need is a single din POCKET to fill the empty space above. You don't necessarily need a fascia kit unless you want it flush in the middle.

File:ISO_7736_single_DIN_spacer_compartment_bay.jpeg

med_gallery_1491_1308_37858.jpg

2zpo0zn.jpg

If you want it flush then I have a single din converter sitting around somewhere otherwise I got rid it of long ago.

Looks like this and I got it off ebay. Didn't fit my 112 but fits ZZE definitely.

AUTOLEADS-FP-11-02.jpg

Link to ebay where you can purchase it - > http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Toyota-Corolla-Facia-Fascia-Panel-adapter-FP-11-02-BK-/260575248880?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_FasciaPlates_SM&hash=item3cab7ec1f0

Alternatively if you can't be bothered or are cheap then get some offcuts of Black Acrylic Perspex / Polycarbonate sheets from a Neon signs/advertising company and cut to size and glue or screw it on. If you want to get decorative then order a Alpine sticker or Corolla badge and stick it on there so it doesn't look bland.

Hope that helps.

I bought from wiring harness from this seller.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250732188337&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2849wt_1324

post-22906-0-13370400-1308488473_thumb.j

and bought this pocket and mounting kit from Autobarn.

i went to supercheap auto the ones they have didnt fit; autobarn gave me one and it didnt fit either, so now i have to order one in.. hopefully it'll fit..

Thanks again for the info RollaRollin, good stuff, will be following the guide this week.

I just got '1' Eonon DVD/TV stereo with 6.2 inch screen off Ebay, but inadvertantly got 2 (don't ask, I'm a munson and was in a rush because I wanted to install it this week and ended up bidding on 2 at the same time).

If anyone is after one they're $225 'Buy it now' so I've got a spare 1 available for about $200, free delivery for anyone in Brisbane (Logan and Inala is extra for 'danger money' ; ) other cities postage is negotiable too.

Brand new unopened of course. Could potentially get it shipped straight to you if you're quick because it hasn't been shipped yet.

Blah blah.

Price is only $185 (what I paid) plus postage.

Edited by Azazel
  • Like 1

Sheesh on a leash, has anyone actually installed a double din stereo using the standard brackets?

The bracket doesn't seem to be sitting right on the Eonon. There are little dimple things that press into the side and make the bracket just off on the top.

• Like 1

Sheesh on a leash, has anyone actually installed a double din stereo using the standard brackets?

The bracket doesn't seem to be sitting right on the Eonon. There are little dimple things that press into the side and make the bracket just off on the top.

I grinded those little bits off mate they arnt needed

A quick touch with the grinder fixes it, or even a file

And you may also have to remove the 'top' of the bracket. Below is the bracket in a text drawing haha.

Remove the bit in red simply by bending it back and forth, its low tensile steel so a few turns back and forth and they will snap off

They are not needed anyway mate and makes it a nicer fit, do both brackets of course

---------

l

l

l

l

---------

l-

Edited by RollaRollin

Thanks mate, all good. Jam the 2 top screws on as hard as they go. If you adjust the 2 top screws it will adjust the straightness of the top bracket too.

Should've checked it with a DVD before I put it all back together but it powered up, radio worked. Got the 'stop to play' warning message for a DVD - argh! I stuck the pink and black wires together. Ah well, I know how it's done now.

Thought the power button was stuck in too, it was the infrared port for the remote I guess. Power on/off is via holding down the 'Source' button.

VERY snug fit :yahoo:

• Like 1

I got one from Supercheap Auto: Aerpro 'To suit Toyota; Smaller 2-plug type (Model # APP0141) $14.95

Perfect fit to the one that comes with the Eonon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

hey guys,

I've been thinking for quite some time to fit in a new head unit into my 2003 toyota corolla ascent (hatchback) and i'm wondering has anyone here done it before? i don't want to purchase a headunit that wont fit.

First of all i want to know if any alpine headunit would be compatible with my vehicle

The head unit i am going to get is

https://www.woofersetc.com/p-7564-cde-102-alpine-cdmp3wmaaac-receiver-and-ipod-controller.aspx

If there is any suggestions please do share it, any information is helpful, cause i looking forward to getting it installed!

I SAW THIS SITE HAVE, YOU MAY TRY.http://www.autoadas.com/special-headrest-monitor-for-toyota-camry-p-142.html