DIY Boot Install

ZAV

Spare Tyre is sitting in the garage. Alot of new cars dont even come with spare tyre (eg bmw 120i).  Plus the wait of the spare tyre is replaced with the stereo, so no real diff in performance.

Doesnt the 120i use run flat tyres though?

I could be wrong.

Spare Tyre is sitting in the garage. Alot of new cars dont even come with spare tyre (eg bmw 120i).  Plus the wait of the spare tyre is replaced with the stereo, so no real diff in performance.

I could be wrong.

You're right, all new BMWs use run flat tyres. I think it's not road worthy to be driving around without a spare. Or something along the lines of that.

From the mouth of many a great audio installers and my best mate who is an autoelectrician....

Create a nice short earth, fatten it, and ground the mutha..... :P

The earth I had on my am was a 8 guage and ran from the boot back under the rear seats and grounded under there, however I found I was losing power and also experiencing cut outs from the amp.

Replaced the earth with a 6 guage and shortened it to earth under the baby-seat bolt, and waalaa - no more problems,...

Pretty shure you just had a bad ground the first time. A ground wich is a bit to small does not impose cutouts. That would mean at least a voltagdrop of 3 volts over that distance. Unless you'r drawing 150+ continuous amps that should not happen. Ofcourse those gauges dont mean **** to me. In europe we use metric square mm's.

Anyway, when my install is ready i'll post some pics of real cabling :D 50mm² all the way, thats the size of a garden hose :D

I could be wrong.

Damn you beat me to it. My girlfriends old man is testing out that car. It has flat tyres and once the tyre has a puncture not only does the car tell you it has a flat tyre but it can also drive for around 350km's supposedly with no difference in driving.

All I can say is that my amps get very hot in my car. Although mine are significantly larger than yours. I'd be too paranoid about the amps smoking up in the position you have.

Looks tidy though, but wouldn't it have been better to mount the amps under the seats or even on the reverse of the sub box? I would be keeping that spare wheel if I could. (obviously being a hypocrite here :P )

What about buying one of those emergency patch and inflation kits (its just a bottle that contains compressed air with sealant etc etc..)

Coz the Pug 207s don't have a spare tire, just one of those kits.

Flat tyre? just plug in the bottle and it'll fix it up good...

apprantly good for about 200kms... at least until u can get to a tyre shop!

I could be wrong.

You're right, all new BMWs use run flat tyres. I think it's not road worthy to be driving around without a spare. Or something along the lines of that.

Im pretty sure law only states that if you have a spare tyre it must be secure. Thats in Victoria though.

I'm pretty sure that law means IF the spare tire is in the car... and u have to secure it down with the screws etc etc...

thats why in road worthys, the spare tire needs to be passed only if its present at the test

this is an interesting topic.... if your running a 600rms amp why aren't you using a 2 gauge or even 0 gauge? you'd have a better flow. I'm running a 0 gauge to a distributor which sits 15cm from my amp and i've got 1 8 gauge going into my rockford lenght of that is only 30cm. I also have a spare set up for a second amp which i use in db drags, good ol 1501bd. But seriously your really restricting breathing of those amps even though there's ample room for air, there's no fresh air circulating the amp. Its nice though really good effort making it clean. I really didn't have a choice in mine, i couldn't bare go back to a single sub. So i have to deal with a dual and amp mounted on the back of box. If you have the factory battery, that's just ridiculous, your lights will dim, definately would need a capacitor with the system your running. That and a decent battery.

It works fine just the way it is, no light dimming at all. 4 Guage is whats reccomended by the amp manafacturer (Coustic). Plus im not that big into stereo installs. It just needs to function and be neat. Plus I dont like drilling holes in any part of the car to mount amps. Spare tyre already has a nice large earth location and it is hidden away.

Take your spare out and you will see how much room is in there. I have checked it and the amps are fine. Plus the boot is very cool in the spare tyre well as compared to the rest of the car (especially in summer).

What i think is an issue is mounting your amps under the seat and running your heater vents to your feet in a cold melbourne morning.

I know what a hot amp is like. Try running a four channel into one sub. In my old car I ran two channels to each voice coil, and dropped by amp to a two ohm load in mono when it was only four ohm stable. It goes into protection mode after a while and then you can fry eggs on the heat sink.

Sub works fine the way it is. Its the most bass ive heard out of a single 12 inch (sounds like I have two 12 inch subs), plus it is in a sealed box.

Edited by ZAV