LED Parker Lights

lasertip

[sOLVED]

Hey guys, I've spent a good 5 hours trying to access the parker lights and I still can't get it. My hand now looks and feels like it was mauled by a tiger :unsure:

I've read DJKOR's post

I've managed to change mine to some white LED's (the photo makes it seem a bit more blue than it is). Since I had to access the wiring for the parkers when I installed my HID's (for the relay circuit), I though I may as well open up the other side and swap the bulb there. Accessing it is kind of annoying, but if you change it to LED, chances are you won't be doing it again. With all the design work behind the scenes at Toyota, I'm surprised that this was their best solution for accessing the parkers.

I didn't take any photos during the procedure (sorry), but I went down just then to take some photos as a guide. Mind the dirt; I haven't got around to cleaning the unseen areas yet.

-Firstly, the way I did it was to remove the screw underneath the car that holds the under guard to the wheel arch guard (photo 2 taken facing the rear). When you look at the area, you can easily figure out the screw I'm talking about and how it all goes together.

-Secondly, remove two of the clips holding the arch guard to the wheel arch (photo 3, and the top circle in photo 4). The lower one is a twist and turn, the upper one pops out in the centre followed by the remainder of the clip.

-Thirdly, lift the arch guard up a bit and you will then find a screw holding the bumper in place. You will find it hidden around the location of the second circle in photo 4. Unscrew that and put it aside.

- Then carefully unclip the side of the bumper and with a combination of having the bumper sitting to the side a little (for obvious reasons, don't force it to the point that it looks like it's going to bend) and pushing the wheel arch towards the inner of the car (more forgiving if you push it hard), you can access the parkers; providing your hands and wrists aren't too large. Having a torch is quite helpful at this point in time so you can figure out where you are going to have to send your hand to.

I'm not too good with detailing instructions, so excuse me if it seems a little non-descriptive. Was it as easy or easier than installing the HID's? In general, I would say that it was probably easier. In my case though, my HID setup was a bit more detailed, and since I was also accessing the parkers for the HID's, I'd say that based on the "swear factor", both tasks were a pain in the rear end.

Attached thumbnail(s)

This post has been edited by DJKOR: 13 May 2008 - 09:58 PM

and it still doesn't help. Could anyone point out what I should be doing in the photos attached?

Otherwise, should I simply remove the bumper like Jin did here?

Thanks!

Edit:

I just saw a post by Hidden Taco here:

Instead of twisting that damned cable, I unplugged it and pulled it out, scratched my head, then spent half an hour trying to shove it back in.

*face palm*

post-23864-0-23292700-1309254501_thumb.j

post-23864-0-30136300-1309254511_thumb.j

post-23864-0-27802300-1309254525_thumb.j

Edited by lasertip

You are doing it right but if you want more space you can turn the wheel fully to the opposite side to give you more space.

I had help since my hands are too big so i got someone who had small hands.

Edited by A Buff Hamster

You are doing it right but if you want more space you can turn the wheel fully to the opposite side to give you more space.

I had help since my hands are too big so i got someone who had small hands.

Thanks alot dude, finally did it. These cuts are going to take a long time to heal....

Now, waiting on my DRLs and philips crystal visions to arrive!

I was seriously shocked that you partly removed the bumper to do this!!! Then I was even more shocked that DJKOR recommended it!

You can do this without removing the bumper as I have done it twice with 245/19" Wheels on.

These are the instructions I would give to anyone attempting this:

-Firstly Point the wheel inwards. So if you are doing the left (while sitting in the car) point the wheels full lock the the right

-Remove the screw underneath the car that holds the under guard to the wheel arch guard (photo 2 taken facing the rear). When you look at the area, you can easily figure out the screw I'm talking about and how it all goes together

-Secondly, remove two of the clips holding the arch guard to the wheel arch. The lower one is a twist and turn, the upper one pops out in the centre followed by the remainder of the clip

-Let the guard sit on the wheel

-You can access the parkers; providing your hands and wrists aren't too large. Having a torch is quite helpful at this point in time so you can figure out where you are going to have to send your hand to

-The parkers are removed by twisting them

-If you continue to have problems then lift the car up with the jack to provide more room

I was seriously shocked that you partly removed the bumper to do this!!! Then I was even more shocked that DJKOR recommended it!

Changing them at the rate of 1 per few months or so... you tend to try and cut corners to prevent frustration. Some of us can't keep ourselves composed in such situations. Uncliping the bumper on the side gives just that little bit more room to work with.

But yes... it can be done without.

You can do this without removing the bumper as I have done it twice with 245/19" Wheels on.

Let the guard sit on the wheel

Balls... I was thinking of doing that. I actually tried removing the headlight assembly but decided that it was too difficult.