Ben Yip 's ZRE Facelift

ben yip

• 11 months later...

Long time no update, for those who don't know my car, have a look at page one for summary..

A few updates

1. Fog light installed, have to buy geniue bracket from Toyota for 100, and the fog light also cost 100 as well

2. Toyota UK side skirt in http://www.burrowstoyotaparts.co.uk/c.do?category=54&page=1 , got it for 350 delivered unpainted

3. Wiechers Sport from Germany rear strut brace for 220 delivered, have to drill holes to mount

4. Front lip for 200 painted from Toyota.

5. Auris rear badge, very time consuming to do debadging in the absense of power plug and hair dryer

6. Rear tow hook

7. Levin style rear spoiler

I still like my Toyota wheels, make the car feel like stock top end model..and I got my white color wheels for track use anyways

I am not a camera man, so no quality photos

1230083_10153209697195697_140882522_n.jp

1238898_10153209697415697_814464323_n.jp

1237600_10153209697025697_1891228899_n.j

1236254_10153209697570697_326165434_n.jp

• Like 1

Nice news, what you thinking about Wiechers? :)

Please, can you send me part number for front Lip and rear spoiler?

Thanks.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Stupid me, miss the sydney meet on saturday, I thought it is on sunday..

Anyway, want to share another picture after

1. Toyota Europe Side skirt

2. Rear Auris badge

3. Rear tow hook

4. Rear strut brace (see previous post)

I am very happy with my fuel consumption now, driving 100km/h speedometer speed on freeway, with an average about 5.6L per 100km, getting closer to hybrid

1378536_10153272260920697_426448948_n.jp

Edited by ben yip
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...

Doing the following.

Lighweight flywheel, stage 1 camshaft, valve spring, increase rpm from 6600rpm to >7000rpm using latest unichip, very likely to hit around 92kw on the wheels

Quaife LSD for EC60 gearbox, I need this as I have problems in exiting corner on the track

Parts supplied by https://www.monkeywrenchracing.com

Lighweight flywheel wont increase the dyno number much because it is on 4th gear, but 1st and 2nd gear will have significant increase in acceleration

qdf29e-resize.jpgMWR-400301-mwr.jpg

Edited by ben yip

Thanks Jeff. I have a kid now so don't want to change car. Today's car is getting too heavy, not fun on the track. I want to get a mini Cooper when my kid grows up., Something light and powerful. After putting a LSD,flywheel, camshaft, valve spring and increasing rev limit on my corolla, i The track day fun will come back. I estimate my 0-100 time would be around 7.2, so not bad at all..

Here is what I want. 

• 2 weeks later...

Quaife LSD is installed, gearbox is reconditioned, few broken parts replaced

MWR lightweight flywheel is installed

Car has more acceleration in 1st, 2nd gear, it revs faster at standstill

NST pulley was removed due to cracked into 3 pieces 4 years ago

Next Mod

MWR Camsahft stage 2 and stiff valve springs, have found a shop to do it

WIll raise the rpm from 6400 to 7400rpm, estimate to increase peak power by 16% to approximately 100kw on the dyno, or 150kw on the flywheel

Lightweight lithium battery, cost around $450, and will last much longer, weight <3kg. 

I can keep the car for another 7 years now. My odometer only reads 90000km now after 9 years, no engine oil consumption at all

Edited by ben yip

• 4 weeks later...

Done a more thorough test with the flywheel and LSD. I am impressed. With my heavy 16 toyota factory wheel, rolling start from 1st gear will generate wheel spin all the way to second gear. This is not possible before. Second gear acceleration is more aggressive as well.

For LSD, car no longer accelerate into straight line in turning corner. It is very useful in track day

With my camshaft stage 2 installed later on, car is not slow compared to a 86, so I am happy to keep the car for a long while

Estimated 0-100 time now is around 7.3 seconds

Edited by ben yip

• 2 weeks later...

Dyno today to prepare for camshaft install, what a suprise, 91.7KW at 6000rpm, but in 5th gear. Last time reading was 86.8kw in 4th gear

I have only changed new engine oil, new flywheel, LSD and new pod filter. This nst pulley is removed. It was raining in the morning and temperature is 16C, so I think the light weight flywheel gains 6kw

According to this, flywheel gained 8whp

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/impp-1005-lightweight-flywheels-fact-or-fiction/

Car is confirmed to cut by fuel when over reving, so unichip i-driver is on its way to increase rev limit to 7400rpm

Now, I need to get the mechanic to fix the car for the front engine mount. Today discovered the engine mount is loose after replacing the clutch. 

Nqj7I-8eh0eKNquC9mcezNP2T1wIqkbRJEfOyCcp

Edited by ben yip

• 1 month later...

Camshaft stage two has been ordered from monkey wrench racing. It would estimate to produce 106kw at the wheel at 7000rpm. Rev limit will set to 7500rpm for safety reason. I hope it will not affect idle quality to an undrivable degree.

Torque will probably drop a little to around 233nm at 5000rpm

The duration of this cam is 264 and lift is 11.45mm. stock duration is 246 and 9.7m lift for intake.

106kw at the wheel, so looking forward to race a 86 in Wakefield park

Below is my research to prove 7500rpm should be No problem

• 1zz can be rev at 7500 by monkey wrench racing with turbo. 1zz has longer stroke. He suggested me to rev to max 7500rpm max.
  • 2gr engine can rev to 8000rpm with just valve spring upgrade, it uses the same design in hydraulic lash adjuster, valve spring and rocket arm mechanism
  • Mazda MX5 rf engine can also rev to 7500rpm with skyactive g engine, which is also a long stroker
  • 86 uses the same hydraulic lash adjuster and rocket arm mechanism
  • Nissan sr20de uses a hydraulic shim and rocket arm mechanism , but with a worse design because of a valve shim problem.
  • There are reports of rocket arm filing off because of passing 7000rpm with stock spring
  • Renault Clio 192 sport is also a long  stroker and rev to 8000rpm
  • Lotus with 1zr and 2zr engine can rev to 7000rpm, most likely with stock spring.

Edited by ben yip

• 1 month later...

A bit of research about flywheel weight

Honda Type R (NA) - around 6kg

Toyota 2ZZ-GE - around 6kg

My corolla 2ZR-FE - around 10kg

This should explain why in 2ZZ-GE, dyno will read around 108kw at the wheel when stock, only 24% loss

and my car will read only 70kw at the wheel when stock, 30% loss..

Honda Type R (NA) reads around 110kw stock at the wheel.

Edited by ben yip

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Camshaft and ECU has been done. Not much power being picked up. 98kw at the wheels at 6000rpm. Rpm limit cannot be increased, what a bummer.

It is faster, but I was expecting a lot more

Edited by ben yip

• 5 months later...

Car was struggled with engine light on after camshaft upgrade. Light was "engine is running too rich". The fix is to clean the MAF sensor again. Now the engine light is gone.

Performance has picked up a bit. Last time the car produced 98kw at the wheels with engine running rich and poor wheel alignment. I think it is running around 99kw at the wheels now. 

It is estimated to produce 136kw at the flywheel at 6000rpm, and if I remove all the seats away, it weights just 1200kg now

In first gear rolling start, wheel spin is a lot more more before second gear.

Fuel economy has also significantly increased. Around 6.5L/100km around town if I drive at very low RPM. 6th gear can cruise around town at 1500rpm. It can also go more uphill than before, so the engine has definitely more torque than before..

I have also bought a Lithium battery for <$500 dollars, it weights only 2kg instead of 12kg stock.Battery is from https://www.lithiumax.com.au/product-page/lithiumax-new-450cca-black-lcd-series-battery

I took out the front seat(20kg each), and test the car. Car feels a lot more faster, and I am still on heavy 16 inch factory rims

Next mod is Enkei RPF1 17x7 wheels, which is very light weight

The ECU is still a major bottleneck to me. No workshop like to modify Corolla ECU, the RPM limit is still a show stopper

Edited by ben yip

• 4 months later...

Rpf1 17x7 done. 215/45 bridgestone re003. Light weight wheel and light weight flywheel. What a blast in acceleration

IMG_0237.jpg

Edited by ben yip

On 1/1/2020 at 2:12 PM, stidnam said:

Car looks really good with the enkei wheels! Nice choice.

Your youtube description reads that you had the ECU tuned. What exactly did you end up having done?

Thanks, rpf1 can decrease 0-100 time in 0.2 seconds. And that's why I stay away with 18 inch because of its weight.

Ecu has lots of frustration. I only have unichip, I tried to increase the rpm but failed, lots of money has gone. Camshaft and valve springs have been changed already, and stuck with 6400rpm limit. The ecu is only used in Australia, and hence the USA guys might not be able to help. Bench tuning is the only option, but who would work on the corolla in Australia.

I plan to keep the car for another ten years. 

Edited by ben yip

Have you looked into running a Haltech or something similar and doing away with the corolla ECU entirely?

I'm also in the process of having a Quaife installed in my EC60 box. You didn't happen to have it installed by shop in Hornsby by any chance?

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/4/2020 at 10:53 PM, stidnam said:

Have you looked into running a Haltech or something similar and doing away with the corolla ECU entirely?

I'm also in the process of having a Quaife installed in my EC60 box. You didn't happen to have it installed by shop in Hornsby by any chance?

I have LSD installed at Hornsby shop. Good work from them, but they send my car to another mechanic nearby to remove the gearbox , which screw up my car. Leaking brake fluid, forgot to install engine mount.

If you change LSD, I highly recommend to change light weight flywheel. Sportivo uses it, type r uses it. You will end up gaining free horsepower which is very noticeable

Still exploring ecu option, using an independent ecu is not a very good option due to the labour involved. 

I saw it  someone raise the ecu with the by 2gr Fe ecu

I am changing coilover recently. I won't use pedders anymore. After they change the insert for me, it is significantly softer than before, so there are some QA issue in their parts.

I am going to install xyz coilover. From research, they are a good brand in Taiwan and Asian countries. He spring rate is also 8kg front and 5kg rear

https://www.performancesuspension.com.au/toyota-corolla-zre152-zre153-2006-2012-xyz-racing

It is sold as 1395, similar price to bc racing.

TO28-SS.jpg?1554868756

Edited by ben yip