AE112R... possible hot hatch?

I have a 2000 AE112R 7A-FE manual, and I want to turn it into a bit of a road rocket. It's still 100% stock standard.

Should point out, I'm a complete noob at this, but I have some knowledge of cars in general. :)

I'm thinking firstly of anti-sway bars, much firmer suspension probably by Pedders (it rolls like a boat when you go even slightly fast around a corner, lol), and the Levin bodykit and rear wing.

But one thing I'm wondering is, would the 1MZ-FE V6 fit into the AE112? Could the transmission handle it?

EDIT: Attached a pic of my car :P

19151619030686544391173.jpg

Edited by Dan4096

I have a 2000 AE112R 7A-FE manual, and I want to turn it into a bit of a road rocket. It's still 100% stock standard.

Should point out, I'm a complete noob at this, but I have some knowledge of cars in general. :)

I'm thinking firstly of anti-sway bars, much firmer suspension probably by Pedders (it rolls like a boat when you go even slightly fast around a corner, lol), and the Levin bodykit and rear wing.

But one thing I'm wondering is, would the 1MZ-FE V6 fit into the AE112? Could the transmission handle it?

Lol... I'm glad I saw this thread - just done a lot of the research...

I have an AE102R and it comes factory with a rear sway bar (safety measure) which is 17mm thick... the most popular upgrade to that is to go with a White Line rear sway bar - however this is not necessary unless your using the car on a track (which is highly unlikely because its an AE112) as the White Line rear sway bar is only 19mm, which is a big outlay for something your not going to use the full range of on the street - so don't do it...

I also had the idea of shoehorning a 1MZ-FE into mine, but the amount of time, effort and money it really isn't worth it... firstly without pulling out the 7A-FE and trying to drop the 1MZ in its place to see what's going on, your not really going to get an accurate idea of whether logistically it will or won't work... there's a lot to consider, i.e. engine mount mounting points, chassis rail widths, will you need to cut back the rear firewall, will you need to flare the centre hump to accommodate the E153 gearbox (if you go manual) to accompany the motor, how hard and where and who are you going to pay to figure out and wire up your wiring harness... the list goes on my friend...

It's a 7A-FE motor... your best bet if your going to go the road of transplanting an engine is to get a 4A-GZE (supercharged) or a 4A-GTE (turbo) or a N/A 4A-GE 20 valve (naturally aspirated)... it works, it fits, and it won't have to be certified if you get one from the same year model corolla as yours because it came from the same year range and model that you own... getting a mod plate and engineers certificate for a 1MZ would be a nightmare... whatever you do though, don't go just sticking a turbo on your 7A-FE tho... you will need to build some of the internals first as the conrods on this motor are like toothpicks, and you'll need dished and forged pistons to lower compression to safely boost it...

The AE102R and the AE112R share the same chassis and many of the parts are interchangeable... to mine i've installed KYB Excel-G front shocks with Super Low King Springs at the front, Monroe shocks with Low King Springs at the rear, and that is pretty much it and the ride is very firm - verging on uncomfortable... it doesn't take much to stiffen these little cars up so don't go overboard - especially at the rear end or else u'll oversteer something fierce... the only other thing I would do to mine is a 2 point tower strut brace for the front end...

Hope that helped :D

Thanks guys for your input, Stewbie I wasnt expecting such a detailed answer first off! :)

All of what you said sounds good, I only really wanted the 1MZ so I could tell my mates "I've got a V6 Corolla" lol. But yeah the 4A-GZE sounds good, so it slots straight in more or less? How much power and torque does it make? Can the standard transmission handle it?

Speaking of transmission, I do want a six-speed of some sort later on. Where could I get one and what sort?

I'll probably start off with the suspension, I don't mind a borderline uncomfortable ride if it handles well.

What wheels do you have? I'm thinking some OEM Toyota 17s, but I've got brand new tyres on the standard steel wheels atm, so I'm not in a hurry to get them yet.

Thanks again, this is exactly what I'm after! :D

whats the budget?

Not much. Can't give an exact figure, but it varies. I'll probably be doing this as a side project when I have the time and money.

EDIT: This one is my inspiration, except for the underbody lights and I'd probably get different wheels. But pretty much all the rest, I like. Looks mean.

http://www.gulfgt.com/forum/showthread.php?3794-Souped-Up-Toyota-Corolla

Edited by Dan4096

sell it and buy a sportivo,thats what i did with my 2000 Rolla, only 85kw.Not worth the $ to spend on it to make it go faster.

as long as you get a 4A-GE from that year model range you will be fine... they all pretty much bolt in from what I can gather and have been told (i could be wrong), but engines are configured slightly differently from model to model on occasion to accommodate more accessories on later models, and features, or even just to improve the functionality of the motor and vehicle in general...

the 4A is a 1.6L so you would be going back in capacity, but they are uber powerful, and later on you can play with them as far as cams, and better internals... just remember though if you go this route you want the 4A-GE, not the 4A-FE...

I agree with the V6 Corolla thing... that is the reason I was going to try and do it, but it just wasn't viable :(

Wheels I'm running some CCS (Cheap Chinese *****) look alike 17" 5 spoke things with a bit of lip... nothing fancy... and possibly too fat a profile tyre but I don't care... my wheels are hooker wheels - they've been on many different cars now, i just think they look purrrdy... :P

If you don't wanna go ridiculously low and keep some ride quality I know of some Low King Springs going cheap that will fit your model and I can put you onto the guy... he's on this forum...

• 5 months later...

This thread seems to have died slightly... but I'm still keen, just poor.

If I were to get a 4A-GZE from these guys, [http://www.japparts.com.au/products/PerformanceEngines.html]

anyone know of someone or somewhere who could fit it into my car? Have to save up first...

I used to own an AE102 which is essentially the same car... almost.

First things first.

Smack a pod in the intake and put a catback exhaust on it so it sounds like a monster devouring children like a baws. Then buy some coilovers (mrpltd.co.nz ;) ) and better tyres. Try and do some headwork, up the comp to 10.7:1 and get some cams made up, and then start removing weight :)

Think about what makes a hot hatch hot, they have a spirited noisey motor, which isnt essentially fast, and they go around corners like crazy... thats what you want to replicate :)

I stopped after that first step of the pod, must say these cars have a crazy intake sound :D but the lack of revs and power (less weight?) made me go to a much much hotter hatch, a 4AGE AE82 ;)

Edited by Toyota_kid

Sounds good, but I want a 4A-GZE... :P

Also, is the AE112 series OBDII compliant? I have found the 16-pin connector but my adaptor can't read the ECU...