buzzing in the exhaust

recently I got a 2.5 inch piping on the Sportivo. but it buzzes on high rpm mainly in lift. i heard from a mate that exhaust buzzing is too much back pressure being lost and its causing a decrease in power. its proven time and time again that the 2.5 inch exhaust has proven to at least give me a gain in top end which was my goal from the beginning.

if this is the case of the power issue, should I get a resonator for the piping to stop the buzzing?

would there be any damage to the engine if I keep driving with the buzzing?

cheers guys.

how big is your current resonator? what kind of buzzing do u mean? is it popping or just rattle and vibrating?

definately a buzzing sound from 5k upwards. i didnt notice it now until my friend told me. maybe if i create a little back pressure it would be ok? would a hot dog do this?

im going to pull my cat back apart for you guys to look at it today. check the welds if there are any leaks and what not in the exhaust piping

Could be something in the resonator/muffler you changed causing the buzz. Sure it isn't touching the heat shields?

i'll take some pictures later on today and post them up.

OK this is the reason why its "buzzing" check this out...

3 leaks so far.

this one at the cat end.

DSC01813.jpg

the flange is probably not flush with the gasket and cat back.

DSC01811.jpg

as you can see the left one is the one between the cat and cat back. the right one is between the varex and the end of the catback. u can see clearly the soot is perfectly sealed and its not leaking. the rust i'm not sure where its coming from? but it wont rust unless there is water right? where is water coming from?

its only leaking out on the cat flanged end. u can see the soot on the bottom of the flange. plus there is a small leak only when we sprayed soapy water around the weld. the welds look messy i will ask them to clean it up all around the flanges when i see them next week.

2nd leak is at the tail end of the cat back...

DSC01804.jpg

DSC01808.jpg

gonna get this fixed too... no wonder i dont feel a gain at all after upgrading the exhaust <_<

Oh boy. Those welds are really shocking.

i hear you, the middle of the piping are OK, but me and johnnieboi will check them out tomorrow morning as well. when i take it back i'm going to ask johnnieboi to come with me to make sure they fix it PROPERLY.

we're gonna stand there and watch them tidy up the welds for me.

last time i told them i wanted to check it onthe hoist but they were closing so we didnt have time to do that. this time i'm going to bring soapy water and check it again before the car gets off the hoist.

they chose the wrong person to f##k with.

you know why those welds are s%#T, they have welded a stainless pipe to a mild steel flange with a MIG welder by the look of it (you can see the MIG wire in the weld) For a nice clean weld they should used a TIG welder. Im only a novice welder but I can weld better than that

you know why those welds are s%#T, they have welded a stainless pipe to a mild steel flange with a MIG welder by the look of it (you can see the MIG wire in the weld) For a nice clean weld they should used a TIG welder. Im only a novice welder but I can weld better than that

funny that... they did say they use TIG welder...

im not fussed about the welds look on the outside. its the inside that i'm worried about. i'm going to tellthem to get rid of that small protrusion inside the exhaust over fill. that and as long as there are NO leaks

as for the piping, the flanges and the piping itself are stainless. the only thing that is mild are the brackets to hang the piping.

holy crap, those welds really are shocking :(

best of luck getting it fixed...heads should roll at the exhaust shop for that sort of "quality"

the rust i'm not sure where its coming from? but it wont rust unless there is water right? where is water coming from?

I guess the water could be getting in after getting splashed up from the road, even if it's only a tiny gap it will work it's way in there slowly.

Must've had the work experience kid do it.

That's MIG'd for sure.

And you can MIG stainless to mild steel, get someone other than the apprentice to chop that off and TIG on a new flange and section of tube.

got some new pics...

DSC01791.jpg

DSC01790.jpg

what about these "holes" they dont look like holes i thought if these are holes the soot mark would be bigger and the burn marks all around it (like flickering out)

thanks mate. :)

yep I went back to them in the morning and told.them what happened with printed pictures.

he told me that with the flange leak, we can fix that with a little bit of exhaust sealant. I also told him I want the welds cleaned up.

he responded if there is a little leak it won't cause a big problem. I looked at him in the eye n told him "I prefer to have NO LEAKS in my exhaust.

opinions about the exhaust sealant guys?

alright. I'm going to tell them I want a new flange on that pipe. I don't want any sh#tty glue on my exhaust.

of course I pay for what I get but actually, this cat back isn't that cheap either. I told them from the start, "I don't care if I pay a bit extra. I want the job done properly." so now they r gonna do it properly. me and two other people will be armed with soapy water n will check it before it comes off the hoist.

that is some pretty shocking work there...

what muffler are you running? I just had to get my muffler replaced this morning because it was overpacked and the baffle set up in the middle meant that it would rattle under load and it is a common problem with mid range Lukey mufflers and twin cam engines...

After an hour and a half, a new muffler, a new twin tip and a resonator it was fixed and running nice... my engine puts out alot of back pressure which was enough to melt the excess packing inside and blast one of the baffles free and loosen the rest... I was upgraded to apparently one of the best street legal Lukey's u can get (for free) and they apologized profusely to me...

They said that the rattle could be something as basic as a rock that flicks up into ur muffler through to baffles coming loose... some mufflers have baffle configurations inside that are difficult to access and u can end up with something in there and no way to get it out... they cut mine open to see the issue tho and found that they're awesome exhaust was pushing so much back pressure down it destroyed the inside of the muffler...

If u still have the problem after the ****ty welding gets fixed and the other stuff, I'd be looking at getting another muffler... or a better one preferably...

that is some pretty shocking work there...

If u still have the problem after the ****ty welding gets fixed and the other stuff, I'd be looking at getting another muffler... or a better one preferably...

i run the varex 2.5'' muffler.

yeah... hehe, they were mostly onthe top part of the piping so we couldnt see it. but once we got the mid pipe out we throughly checked every weld.

how about a third option of taking my money back and throwing the cat-back back at them? >=[

seriously the flow inside the piping is OK. only one small protrusion of over fill inside the muffler i saw and i will tel them to file that down.

Seriously Duy, get you cash back and go elsewhere. That work is only going to end up with more headaches down the track. I can guarantee you will develop cracks and splits sooner than later. Its not just a smooth inside that makes a good exhaust system. The integrity of that steel is now diminished, and there is no way to undo that.