SUBWOOFER...WHICH 1 to BUY???

RNN4MK

Hey,

im looking to get my car audio done soon and im looking for the best sub to buy which basically rivals and is the same as the JL 12" w7 but cheaper as i reckon the w7 is overpriced but neadless to say an insane peice of audio equipment. Also a good amp to go with it. Does any1 have any suggestions??

im looking to get my car audio done soon and im looking for the best sub to buy which basically rivals and is the same as the JL 12" w7 but cheaper as i reckon the w7 is overpriced but neadless to say an insane peice of audio equipment. Also a good amp to go with it. Does any1 have any suggestions??

MTX Thunder 8000. Go the 15" ;) :lol:

Don't have to go for a 15 inch. There is no need for that amount of bass in such a small car. Less is more! - a great little concept when you want to play it cool and not look like a tool :)

Personal, I would look at Rockford Fostgate or Eclipse. Both are very strong brands when it comes to awesome car audio.....and there pricing isn't that much more than cheaper brands.

Personally Personally (just like a P.S) I've had rockford subs even since I got my first car and never once did I have a problem :)

How much you want to spend?? lol

When I was looking for a sub (a few years back) I was looking at Boston Acoustics G5 series, Digital Designs (not sure which model) and Image Dynamics (IDMax or IDQ range). One good quality 12" sub would do the job. Don't forget about your enclosure as well.

With regards to Amplifiers, just buy one that is rated to operate your sub with a bit of overhead (15-20%) mono and has some reliability (Audison, Alpine, Jaycar??), I've got a Jaycar amp and it works fine for its purpose....have yet to meet a person that can tell a sound quality difference between two similar rated amps that are setup properly.

as Suprathai said... what's your budget?

Are you after plain bass drown out or quality sound?

If your going to upgrade your audio are you doing it bit by bit or the lot? Could save yourself some coin doing the lot...

I recommend that you don't buy a sub in same branded enclosure... Sony XSGTX120L in Sony enclosure. Though it is a good sub it's much more capable of much more in a better designed box... this is where you save yourself some coin.

Get a 12" subwoofer. Basically it's better than a 10" because it uses less power and much more punchier. Anything bigger than a 12" is plan ridiculas for a Corolla... space, money and power wise you'll never use it.

Also power is read in RMS. So if you see a 12" sub saying 1000w... it's only maximum RMS power is around 500w.

You would then need to find a amp capable of putting out 500w - 600w RMS power.

Subs I recommend...

Alpine SWR 1243D (I used to have one in custom enclosure and had more than plenty of punch with my Alpine Mono MRD-M605)

Digital Designs 1500 series 12" in custom enclosure (borrowed this sub off a mate and ran it off a Alpine MRX-M100)

Sony XSGTX120L in JL Audio sub box run by Alpine MRV-F545 4 channel (Channel 3+4 bridged) Sounded way better than in the Sony enclosure for sure.

Just take your favourite CD or iPod down to Northfield, Strathfield, JB HiFi etc and have a listen. If you find something that suits take down the model numbers and look up reviews on the net. Find a matching amp or vise versa. Then find the best price/deal and your in business.

Rockford fosgate, Alpine or Hertz for bang for bucks. 8" or 10" is recommended but 12" is absolute limit.

I have a 8" under my seat in my Aurion and i find it more than enough.

If you want something that can rival the JL W7, go for the Image Dynamics IDMax 12. This sub has been used in many instances for car audio competitions (we are talking sound quality not DBDrags) and has won lots of them. Although they are build for SQ, they can still go very loud and tight. I've had mine for about 8 years and it's still going strong. They don't need lots of power to run 400-500w rms to to sound decent, but if you want to go loud, the more power the better - about 1000w rms range. Mine is being powered by the TruTechnology Hammer H1 which does in excess of 1000w rms.

These puppies goes for about $900.

Have a read on the net about it.

Righto,

I have cleaned this up, please try and stay on topic and resist the urge to troll/flame.

OP,

I would highly recommend anything by eclipse, I have had a SW7200 for years now and its an excellent sub.

I would suggest 12inch maximum for a small car like a corolla, and get an amp that matches.

E.G

Eclipse SW6210 + XA1200 amp

• 1 year later...

Dunno if youve gone ahead and done the job, but im looking at the pioneer slimline subwoofer with built in amp (designed to bolt in under the seat)... about $300