1962 toyota stout Floor shift help

Frenchie

I have quite recently started restoring a 1962 Toyota stout 1900. This is going to be a project for me so i can have this awesome classic as my first car.

I am looking for ANY possible way to put a floor shift in it. I don't even care if its an auto, i just dont really like the idea of column shift. The engine is either a 5R or an R , im not entirely sure, but the year it was made suggests its an R... If anyone knows of some compatible floor shift gear boxes that will go on without to much trouble please help me out ... auto or manual .. doesn't matter

Thanks

I have quite recently started restoring a 1962 Toyota stout 1900. This is going to be a project for me so i can have this awesome classic as my first car.

I am looking for ANY possible way to put a floor shift in it. I don't even care if its an auto, i just dont really like the idea of column shift. The engine is either a 5R or an R , im not entirely sure, but the year it was made suggests its an R... If anyone knows of some compatible floor shift gear boxes that will go on without to much trouble please help me out ... auto or manual .. doesn't matter

Thanks

But............. why? I don't understand why you would need to do that. Column shift is easy enough to drive and the modification required to put a floor shift in would be extensive I would imagine. My main concern though is that a '62 Toyopet Stout is so very rare. Somebody told me there were only 16 of them imported to Australia. It would be well worth keeping it as original as possible.

Anyway that's just my opinion. I have no idea what trans you could use to change it to a floor shift.

But............. why? I don't understand why you would need to do that. Column shift is easy enough to drive and the modification required to put a floor shift in would be extensive I would imagine. My main concern though is that a '62 Toyopet Stout is so very rare. Somebody told me there were only 16 of them imported to Australia. It would be well worth keeping it as original as possible.

Anyway that's just my opinion. I have no idea what trans you could use to change it to a floor shift.

Ahhh, I guess you have convinced me, but only 16 imported to Australia .... that's pretty sweet, i guess I'll have one of the coolest Utes in town, Thanks for your help guys. I'm actually happy that is so rare, makes it more of a unique car , especially for a first car

Thanks

It's definately a unique first car mate. I can tell you that plenty of people will want to buy it off you. I can't take mine anywhere without someone asking me if I'm interested in selling it :D

Don't get me wrong, they're not worth a fortune, but they turn a lot of heads.

Would love to see some pics of it.

It's definately a unique first car mate. I can tell you that plenty of people will want to buy it off you. I can't take mine anywhere without someone asking me if I'm interested in selling it :D

Don't get me wrong, they're not worth a fortune, but they turn a lot of heads.

Would love to see some pics of it.

If you would like i could upload pics from when i bought it , a month ago and now ... because it is in need of some heavy restoring .. not to much rust, but there is defiantly a bit of work to be done on it, the tray is gone, and the body is ready to lift off for sandblasting and priming so I can cut the rust out

My plan for it is to build a new flat back tray that doesn't weigh a tonne, I'm painting it some sort of darker metallic blue. and just getting the interior re done. engines had a full rebuild to, so it starts first time, every time :D

Sounds exciting mate. Yeh pretty keen to see before and after pics of everything. I love seeing Stout's in any condition B)

Sounds exciting mate. Yeh pretty keen to see before and after pics of everything. I love seeing Stout's in any condition B)

Purchase pictures , i will upload when i started working on it photos later when i download them off the camera i cant find :P

post-24955-0-76932200-1309825977_thumb.j

post-24955-0-59499300-1309825990_thumb.j

post-24955-0-49904800-1309826009_thumb.j

And chobis, where did you pickup that forced air evaporation aircon system ? they are pretty rare and was wondering where I might find one ?

And chobis, where did you pickup that forced air evaporation aircon system ? they are pretty rare and was wondering where I might find one ?

I imported it from USA. They are so cool, but be prepared to pay a fair bit. Then postage on top is a killer. I bought 2 of them about 4 or 5 years ago and sold one here in Australia to try and get back some of my outlay. They come up in Australia from time to time but pretty rarely and they are pretty expensive. The VW boys love them.

Cheers for the pics. Keep them coming. Love seeing Stouts in Australia.

i am very curious of your stout as i also have a 1962 toyopet stout, the 1900 and the five stud wheels has me and what dose the front grille look like (photo please).

the RK45 toyopet single headlight was built in 1960 and was sold and plated 1961-62 and had six wheel studs per wheel, only 16 of them where imported.

the first of the lite stout started to be built in 1962 and were a RK40, RK41, sold as toyopets stout lite and the termed full stout was a RK100, in 1964 and the start of export the stouts were badged as toyotas.

so the first toyotas in australia were privately imports by thiess constructions and wore the japanesse title of toyopet, with first export models toyopet was dropped and toyota australia started.

in 1964 toyota japan started to push sales of the stout internationally with the leftovers of the first of the toyopet stout lite rebadged as toyotas and the first of the true export model started in 1965 and the stout style of chobis and with this model the cab was extended by two inches 50mm in the rear pillar as the rebadged toyopets were found to short on leg room.

on facebook toyota stout

Edited by whysmee2

post-23178-0-25991900-1310115239_thumb.j

i am very curious of your stout as i also have a 1962 toyopet stout, the 1900 and the five stud wheels has me and what dose the front grille look like (photo please).

the RK45 toyopet single headlight was built in 1960 and was sold and plated 1961-62 and had six wheel studs per wheel, only 16 of them where imported.

the first of the lite stout started to be built in 1962 and were a RK43, sold as toyopets stout lite and the termed full stout was a RK100, in 1964 and the start of export the stouts were badged as toyotas.

so the first toyotas in australia were privately imports by thiess constructions and wore the japanesse title of toyopet, with first export models toyopet was dropped and toyota australia started.

in 1964 toyota japan started to push sales of the stout internationally with the leftovers of the first of the toyopet stout lite rebadged as toyotas and the first of the true export model started in 1965 and the stout style of chobis and with this model the cab was extended by two inches 50mm in the rear pillar as the rebadged toyopets were found to short on leg room.

on facebook toyota stout

post-23178-0-65246200-1310115298_thumb.j

single headlight toyopet 1500cc R built 1960 sold and plated as 1961-2,due to very poor sales in japan and over production alternate markets were sort and hence the lite stout with larger 1500 and 1900cc engines were born.

the duel headlight toyopet built 1962 plated as 1962-63, in 1964 renamed toyota and sold internationally as late as 1965

in 1964 production started on the export models RK41 1900 RK43 1500cc with the extended cab and this model basically made toyota internationally.

eventually the hilux replaced the lite stout in 1968 and the stout RK101 with a 5R 2000cc was left until 1978 when the RK110 hilux style eventually brought the demise of the stout and was replaced completely by the hilux.

now with all my research i know of no other gearbox that is a match or even easy to fit on a toyota R engine, the diffs are hilux or landcruiser and from dellow or castlemaine rod shop adapters are available to fit an array of different engines, as the coaster and dyna with the 5R had the same gearbox. i have not even heard a V8 being able to destroy them.

post-23178-0-46805500-1310116912_thumb.j

post-23178-0-46707200-1310116950_thumb.j

post-23178-0-39658000-1310117042_thumb.j

post-23178-0-63802500-1310117119_thumb.j

Edited by whysmee2

the 2R,3R,5R all had an auto gear box option in the crowns and coronas, the thing is the stouts had the hand brake drum mounted on the back of the gearbox that the tail shaft bolted to unlike most gear boxes where the tail shaft is a yoke and spline.

i live in queensland and under queensland mod laws i have not found an option to get around the hand brake issue, as using a hand brake system that operates off the rear wheel drums is not legal.

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Safety/Vehicle-standards-and-modifications/Vehicle-modifications/Light-vehicle-modifications.aspx