180,000km Tarago

Working at a friends mechanic shop for a few days a couple of weeks ago and we had this happen, it was all quite funny and I've just gotten off the phone with him now.

A lady came in with a 2002 Tarago for a knocking sound in the engine.

When we got in the car to drive it onto the hoist we noticed there was no last service sticker on the window, which we though was odd but you know it happens.

Checking the log books, this lady had brought the car new, straight off the lot and has had it ever since. She got the free complimentary 1000km service and tune up as you get with most cars. After that there is not one entry in the log book, I'm starting to get worried.

Luckily the lady was still waiting for her husband to pick her up and we asked her when was the last service, you know maybe the partner does them at home. She validated our disgust and fear, this car had not been serviced for 179,000km. Not even kidding you guys, and it was still running!

My mate said he would do the service but made no guarantees.

After the service the car was running, and the knock had mostly disappeared, so happy customer.

A week later she called up, engine is blown.

She comes into the shop and hurls abuse and all sorts. As my mate is trying to explain to this ignorant fwit that the 179,000km before hand traveled on the engine without a service is what caused her engine to blow, not the fact that we serviced it.

Ends up walking away 8k out of pocket for a new motor and then fitting.

As she was paying the bill, she said.

'I knew I shouldn't of got my car serviced' :toast:

I honestly don't think she will get this new engine serviced either.

But doing some math I actually think shes come out on top here. Say she got it serviced everything 5000k at $200 a service. That would be around 36 services over its 180,000k life time if all that was ever done is oil + filter. 36 x 200 is $7200 worth of servicing. That dosen't include any other major parts or engine work. So honestly, after everything, I think the $8000 engine fitting would've still left her in front on the $$ side of things.

The ignorance of some people... :lol:

... that the 179,000km before hand traveled on the engine without a service is what caused her engine to blow

Despite the fact that such a long duration was the overall cause of the failure, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact the service that was done that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

But doing some math I actually think shes come out on top here. Say she got it serviced everything 5000k at $200 a service.

Except factory service schedule would be more likely 10,000km, and most services wouldn't cost $200 (simple oil change and rotate tyres for instance), so you're off by at least 50%...

... that the 179,000km before hand traveled on the engine without a service is what caused her engine to blow

Despite the fact that such a long duration was the overall cause of the failure, I wouldn't be surprised if it was in fact the service that was done that was the straw that broke the camel's back.

Definitely, I think the oil was holding the engine together and couldn't handle the shock of the new oil

But doing some math I actually think shes come out on top here. Say she got it serviced everything 5000k at $200 a service.

Except factory service schedule would be more likely 10,000km, and most services wouldn't cost $200 (simple oil change and rotate tyres for instance), so you're off by at least 50%...

Don't remember what it was in the Tarago but know for a fact that the factory service interval for my Corolla is 5000km, would be thinking its the same?

Not sure if you pay to get yours done or you do it yourself, but when I'm working most invoices ranged from $180-$220 for minor services.

Edited by RollaRollin

We've had about 5 or 6 tarago's with the same deal...

One owner never got serviced, came in with 60k and complained about blowing smoke, new engine fitted...

Came back a few years later blowing smoke, retard did the same thing again, new engine fitted...

Havn't seen the car for a while so who knows, I guess some morons never learn...

Don't remember what it was in the Tarago but know for a fact that the factory service interval for my Corolla is 5000km, would be thinking its the same?

Not sure if you pay to get yours done or you do it yourself, but when I'm working most invoices ranged from $180-$220 for minor services.

Don't know where you're getting your info from, your factory service interval would be almost certainly be 10,000km - it only drops to 5,000km if you drive in extreme conditions (ie towing for long periods of time, short interval trips in very cold weather, extensive idling/low speed ie taxis, couriers etc, driving on rough or dusty roads) - that is direct from the Toyota website. A lot of members on here will service their car more regularly though - I tend to do oil changes every ~5000km, but that is because the 7A has a history of burning oil. Other regular services such as spark plugs etc will get done at their appropriate interval as specified by the service manual.

We've had about 5 or 6 tarago's with the same deal...

One owner never got serviced, came in with 60k and complained about blowing smoke, new engine fitted...

Came back a few years later blowing smoke, retard did the same thing again, new engine fitted...

Havn't seen the car for a while so who knows, I guess some morons never learn...

Must be something to do with all the kids the owners have to look after :whistling:

Don't know where you're getting your info from, your factory service interval would be almost certainly be 10,000km - it only drops to 5,000km if you drive in extreme conditions (ie towing for long periods of time, short interval trips in very cold weather, extensive idling/low speed ie taxis, couriers etc, driving on rough or dusty roads) - that is direct from the Toyota website. A lot of members on here will service their car more regularly though - I tend to do oil changes every ~5000km, but that is because the 7A has a history of burning oil. Other regular services such as spark plugs etc will get done at their appropriate interval as specified by the service manual.

*Checks service manual*

Woops! I swear it was 5000k in my book, I stand corrected :)

Must just be what I was going off then, because yes I agree a lot of people do the 5000k oil change