30,000km service done

$160 is the damage, provided all my own lubricants.. Also got them to machine my front brake discs under warranty and what a difference it made to braking response!!! Couldn't believe it, might have prevented my little encounter with the towbar couple of weeks ago.. and next to go are the shock absorbers, for safety's sake :P

Anyway i waited 3 hours for the car at Wollongong Toyota bcuz i requested for gearbox oil change and they had to machine the brakes etc.. Anyway a very nice mechanic attended to me regarding the characteristic gear cable rattle and i told him about the cable tie fix done by Stewart Toyota pre-recall and i had no rattles for over 12months blah blah blah..

Well he basically said the gear cable has a metal sheath on the outside and that could have expanded from the heat in the engine bay since the cables are so close to the extractors, the heat could have caused the cable inside to rattle against the metal outer sheath. He said the cable ties could have helped prevent the metal sheath from expanding but wouldn't recommend or do it since the rattles arn't affecting performance at all, hence not warranted. So there you go for those interested and can try the cable tie method if you like AT YOUR OWN RISK. I will be doing it when i get the time and post some pics up for all.

Z

Edited by ZEEROLLA

Keep us updated Zee. I had my selector cables done when I first got the car, but it appears that in the past 3 weeks, the rattle has returned.

Im a bit stubborn, so if they tell me that they are not warranted because of it not being a performance issue, well lookout.....

also very interested in the cable tie fix...

its the one thing that annoys my in my car...

tell you what though.. after driving the New Astra coupe today.... im thinking that when the turbo version comes out in Janurary.. i might be tempted

The Cable tie fix is not that hard to do really probably a 5minute job, will see if i have that 5 minutes to do it tomorrow morning :P

And yep Toyota machined my front brake rotors under warranty! (Dylan you should try Wollongong Toyota since they have done it on my car ;) ) I wasn't expecting it after 33,000kms and 18 months but when i rang them up and told them about the steering wheel shudder under braking they immediately said i wouldn't be expected to pay for it and the warranty will cover it! :) Maybe it is a common problem. I was happy, and it made a HUGE difference to the feel of the car, the steering wheel shudder is completely gone and driving at high speeds the steering also feels firmer, i think the front brakes were a little "loose" putting the balance off and having had the calipers and discs removed and refitted helped.