Back Seat Seatbelts

Azza

I noticed when I was sitting in the back seat of my Sportivo on the weekend, with another guy similar size to me sitting on the other side. (I had had a wine too many to drive so the girls got the front seat)

I noticed while in the back seat that the seat belts would not pull out to allow me to lean forward while the car was in motion. Seat belts are designed to allow the passenger to lean forward gently, with the pre-tensioners disabling this ability during braking and impacts. You should still be able to lean forward when the car is cruising at a steady speed on a flat road.

The more the rear belts got tighter, the less give they had. Eventually, the car had to be stopped and turned off before either of us in the back seats could release the belts.

Now, before any of you make smart a55 comments about my size, it was occuring also with smaller people in the car, however it was only the back seat belts.

I am going to take the car back to Toyota to get them to look into it for me, but I was just wanting to get an idea of how many other people may have experienced this issue....

Cheers

Aaron :)

and what the hell are you doing sitting the back for anyways..... :ph34r:

(I had had a wine too many to drive so the girls got the front seat)

mate you are just too fat.....

The problem is though, that you are as heavy as me, but 6 inches shorter....

and what the hell are you doing sitting the back for anyways..... :ph34r:

(I had had a wine too many to drive so the girls got the front seat)

mate you are just too fat.....

The problem is though, that you are as heavy as me, but 6 inches shorter....

its not the size of your sword that counts, its how well you can swing it :P

Wait wait, so the belts got tighter as the car drove?

if thats the case perhaps its the car's way of getting back at you for driving it so hard!

or the pretensioners... *shrug*

Dont worry about it how often you gonna sit in the back seats lol ... only thing i use my back seats for is ... and yeh  ;)

What - puting your gym bag on :P

i too have noticed this problem and it's only the back right hand side (i think... could be the left side.... it's only one side anyway) that does it in my car.

but my auntie's Rav 4 also does it

it only appears to be the back seat and if you take the seat belt off and put it on again it doesn't seem to happen again.

maybe you cant put the back seatbelts in when the car is off.... im not sure...

im not of small build but my partner is and he has had the problem too

i too have noticed this problem and it's only the back right hand side (i think... could be the left side.... it's only one side anyway) that does it in my car.

but my auntie's Rav 4 also does it

it only appears to be the back seat and if you take the seat belt off and put it on again it doesn't seem to happen again.

maybe you cant put the back seatbelts in when the car is off.... im not sure...

im not of small build but my partner is and he has had the problem too

I was on the right side in the back and the guy that was in the left was a little smaller than me...

was the car on an angle when you tryed leaning forward or in a rapid accelaration or decelaration as the G-Forces affect the pretensioners, happens on my parents Subarus too.

Nah, the road was flat straight and we were cruising and a cosy 60k's....

Hey 11, is yours a sportivo too?

Sorry to say this but if this is "yet another sportivo problem" then toyota sth Africa should just set up shop here and rebuild the damned things

That problems not limited to the sportivo...

every passenger that sits in the back of my ascent complains about the seat belt's getting gradually tighter and tighter until they can't breathe...

*shrug* it doesn't fuss me too much because I don't ever sit in the back :D

Well it appears that this obviously is not an isolated problem, so I will be getting the car back to Toyota for this matter to be dealt with.

Thanks guys...I will let you all know how it goes...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure if this is the same issue as Azza is having, but the rear seatbelts in both our current wagon and our previous Starlet made a horrible click-click-click noise if you pulled the belt out too far, too quickly.

When we had the Starlet, we quizzed Toyota on it, according to them the click noise is the activation of a lock designed for baby seats ... basically its designed to only allow a very small amount of movement, so baby seats stay put.

Also, they reckon that Aussies have a habit of pulling out much more seat belt than they need, only letting it go once they've clicked the buckle. So therefore, if you pull the seat belt out nice and gently, you shouldn't get the click-click.

I guess that's fine in theory, but when you get back to Azza's direct issue (no give in the belt while the car is moving), it doesn't help squat.

Maybe its Toyota's way of making Azza sit still while other people are driving ... :P