Prado fuel problem

Olivetta

We have "broken down" three times with our Prado Grande built Sept 2008, purchased Mar 2009. Travelled only 34000km.

Problem has been isolated to flow of fuel from second tank. On the first 2 times, we were told that it was dirty diesel, but after the two tanks were emptied and cleaned twice and all filters changed now three times since 30000, there must be another answer. If we run on first fuel tank there is no problem -- runs beautifully! When we get to a little above halfway on second tank, the engine dies. Most disturbing in the middle of outback Queensland!!

We were told by a bush mechanic that some solenoids in the vehicles were faulty, but this one apparently doesn't have a solenoid. Must have an alternative valve or system.

Can anyone help to overcome this problem? Toyota dealers cannot seem to fix it.

• 11 months later...

• 2 months later...

Don't know if this going to be any help but sounds like that there is a fault with the pick up in that tank.I have had this issue before in a Nissan Patrol fitted with a Long Range Tank. It would be fine until it got 1/4 of the tank and just plain and simple stop but still had a whole heap of fuel in the tank. i removed the tank and had it inspected and the bottom part of the pick up was fractured and sucking air once the crack was exsposed out of the fuel. I had a new pick up fitted into the tank and have had no more problems since. I know that the Prado Draws fuel from both tanks at the same time so you would have to work out which tank is causing the issue. Hope this gives you some direction to look in. :blink:

Edited by VX04

• 8 months later...

my 2008 prado gxl had the same problem as soon as it switches to the 90L tank halfway it will turn off i took it to a mechanic and it worked all i remember was he told me it was got to do with a filter for diesel or a filter on top of the tank

• 4 months later...

As a new member who had a few problems with stalling, can I offer this help. 80,000 service on 2009 D4D Prado. Never have let anyone before service my many vehicles. So moved towns, mechanic recommended, and had service. 3,000 klms later, several stalls on cold start, about 10 seconds after fire up. Started using primer pump, and this fixed problem. Read several forums, and learned a bit, asked mechanic if he replaced filter in front of tank. "what filter" we did the one under the bonnet! So I bought a new filter, he fitted it for free. (I found that many times this filter is missed out altogether, although the service book says replace at 20,000.

Same stalling problem, more researching, found "filter "he replaced under bonnet is only to be checked every service, not replaced. It is a water separator.It was strange breed, but had a Toyota and Ryco equivalent stamped on side. I contacted Ryco, who said, get that filter off quick. Did so and immediate cessation of stalling. Have Ryco on both now, but will follow mates advice and use genuine Toyota parts from now on

As a new member who had a few problems with stalling, can I offer this help. 80,000 service on 2009 D4D Prado. Never have let anyone before service my many vehicles. So moved towns, mechanic recommended, and had service. 3,000 klms later, several stalls on cold start, about 10 seconds after fire up. Started using primer pump, and this fixed problem. Read several forums, and learned a bit, asked mechanic if he replaced filter in front of tank. "what filter" we did the one under the bonnet! So I bought a new filter, he fitted it for free. (I found that many times this filter is missed out altogether, although the service book says replace at 20,000.

Same stalling problem, more researching, found "filter "he replaced under bonnet is only to be checked every service, not replaced. It is a water separator.It was strange breed, but had a Toyota and Ryco equivalent stamped on side. I contacted Ryco, who said, get that filter off quick. Did so and immediate cessation of stalling. Have Ryco on both now, but will follow mates advice and use genuine Toyota parts from now on

Confused as hell - so you're not running a filter now? Or Ryco told you to remove THEIR filter? You're engine bay filter in the prados is a filter with a water detection sensor but it won't separate it out!

Ok, sorry if confused! The rear filter, the little one that should be replaced, had a prefix I couldn't identify, no idea when last replaced, so replaced it with a Ryco. (I have never had a problem with Ryco)

When problem continued (stalling after start) I researched a lot. Found that the (under bonnet)filter the mechanic had used (he swears by them) had cross reference number to both Toyota and Ryco. I looked around and found that that number filter was to be used on a much older Toyota direct injection motor. It wasnt a Ryco. But on contact with Ryco (Who were super helpful), they virtually said that that model filter/water separator could be harmful to my engine.

So,i had a "discussion" with my mechanic (Learning curve for him, who is good at everything else) and he replaced the under bonnet filter/separator with a Ryco of the correct type for my Prado.

Problem of stalling stopped straight away, motor even sounds and runs better (probably in my imagination!)

Hope that sorts that out for you.

• 1 month later...

As a follow up on my stalling problems, I have done some 3000 klms,without a stall or any problem, so it seems the filters must comply, even the under bonnet one that doesnt require replacing (according to Toyota).

So, make sure under body one is replaced with genuine at 20,000, and fit genuine or top brand only if necessary under the bonnet. I have spoken to many people since my problem, and it is common that the under body units just doesnt get replaced. So how many injectors etc have been stuffed up because of lack of knowledge?

Hope this helps

• 8 years later...

Hi I have a 1998 Toyota prado vx grande 3.4 ltr starts and revs stalls I have had it to auto Lecky replaced start up kit cleaned everything done paper clip fault code comes in as 2431 secondary air injection system anyone else had this issue please help 

Edited by Rakt