Problem with the colt : /

ELEGNT

Alright colt is having some issues at the moment

motor has done 2500km since build

problem im having is:

when cold (all the way to running temp) it blows BULK amount of blue/grey smoke, just burbles out at idle and makes a bushfire when i rev it. before running temp also when i rev it slatters out what it looks like oil or fuel about a meter out of the exhaust all over the ground.

when warm and im puttering around it blows blue/grey smoke constantly, alot on back off and alot on inital acceleration. But when i am into i hard it wont smoke at all, even when i pull up and just free rev it wont smoke, but slowly come back when i start putting around again.

my conclusions are:

Oil seals in turbo are shot - this explains most of it but smoke would come out more white i would think

Valve stem seals are shot - this would also explain why its worse on start up/ back offs and gear changes. the head thats on it came off an engine that hadnt been started for 1.5 years.

Glazed the bores/getting blowby - the engine had a soft run in due to ecu troubles and a very very rich run in due to tuner stuffing my tune up.

buy why has it got progressively worse since the build and why has it got alot worse since my last service when i started putting fully sythetic in it apposed to mineral.

i dont think many people will be able to answer this but im chucking it out to people like mickwheels, CHA54, silvabullit etc

thanks fellas

I think your making excuses for getting pounded by a Subaru

I'm sorry to hear this rowan, hopefully not major

i beat dad by 2 car lengths from a rolling start by top of 3rd, so dont think thats going to happen man lol

yes me too :(

Edited by ELEGNT

once its at operating temp its fine yeah? or is it still blowing smoke?

have you got a catch can on it? It could be valve stem seals, would explain why its worse on startup, and they def. could have hardened over time.

Could also be turbo seals, how new are they?

have you got a catch can on it? It could be valve stem seals, would explain why its worse on startup, and they def. could have hardened over time.

its worse when cold but still smokes when at operating temp. especially on back off or change of gears. head is only 4 years old with 20k on it but wasnt started for 1.5 years.

turbo has unknown kilometers on it, off a 99 model 22B sti. still holds 20psi of boost till redline, still spools up as quick and still flutters the same

its worse when cold but still smokes when at operating temp. especially on back off or change of gears. head is only 4 years old with 20k on it but wasnt started for 1.5 years.

turbo has unknown kilometers on it, off a 99 model 22B sti. still holds 20psi of boost till redline, still spools up as quick and still flutters the same

I would be doing the turbo seals first, since thats easier.

I would be doing the turbo seals first, since thats easier.

there is no replacement parts for my turbo and because its ball bearing its not rebuildable :( fail

mick you have a compression tester?

sure do man.

may need to come over and do a compression test on it on the weekend mate, if thats cool

I'll be up the sunny coast this w/e. you can come grab the tester off me during the week if you like

mick you have a compression tester?

sure do man.

may need to come over and do a compression test on it on the weekend mate, if thats cool

I'll be up the sunny coast this w/e. you can come grab the tester off me during the week if you like

what day do you leave, can i grab it after work friday then?

i had the same problem on my silvia...

mine had multiple issues at the time though...

- turbo seals were fuqed (also had a lot of front/back shaft movement)

- injector harness had melted, so when it was firing one cyl it was firing three cyl at the same time. so i had major fuel wastage..

- ecu was fuqed.

i'd start with the turbo and look for any obvious signs of failure (shaft movement, etc)...

i had the same problem on my silvia...

mine had multiple issues at the time though...

- turbo seals were fuqed (also had a lot of front/back shaft movement)

- injector harness had melted, so when it was firing one cyl it was firing three cyl at the same time. so i had major fuel wastage..

- ecu was fuqed.

i'd start with the turbo and look for any obvious signs of failure (shaft movement, etc)...

sweet mate, cheers for that.

how much smoke was coming out of yours though?

my turbo still performs like it always has boosts hard and comes on at the same time

it was bush firing mate... more than 5mins on in the workshop and everyone had to evacuate cause you couldnt breath... completely fuqed up..

i was still building boost and still able to do wheelies.. :P

i dont know much about this kinda thing though... just what i've experienced first hand... so your problem may be COMPLETELY unrelated...

it was bush firing mate... more than 5mins on in the workshop and everyone had to evacuate cause you couldnt breath... completely fuqed up..

i was still building boost and still able to do wheelies.. :P

i dont know much about this kinda thing though... just what i've experienced first hand... so your problem may be COMPLETELY unrelated...

from the sound of that and the youtube clips ive seen, its not turbo seals then.

more so glazed bore than anything :( worse when cold because pistons havnt expanded yet, doesnt smoke after a thrash because piston are expanded, spitting out fuel out the exhaust because its hasnt been burnt in combustion because of blowby. FML if i have to rebuild this car again im going to commit suicide

ash, it will be the tuner i will be kicking in the nuts

trent. cheers man i am going to do that tonight. very much sounds like blow by to me.

im getting a compression test and leak down test done tomorow, fingers crossed :(

What I'm thinking is that when boosting the pressure inside the compressor housing is overcoming oil pressure and not blowing the smoke, but when idling oil pressure overcomes boost pressure and it is blowing by the turbo seals and into the combustion chamber. But that head also worries me.

Let it just idle for a little bit before you pull the piping off too.

Edited by trentmeyer23

ok last night i did a few things

replaced pcv

took off breather line to catch can - no oil

took off catch can - no oil

took off intake pipe before turbo - no oil

took off intercooler pipe after turbo - no oil

slightly more shaft play in turbo but not excessive

ran the car with no breather line on and no filler cap - bit of air coming out of them but no more than to be expected and no smoke.

it is looking promising that its not glazed bored and getting blow by

tonight i will do a compression and leak down test on it

Edited by ELEGNT

Could be a number of problems. But how is the tune, who did it? Is it spitting out oil or fuel?

The smoke when not at operating temperature could be caused by the temperature enrichment being far too high. Again on the over run the injectors could still be pumping fuel in to get around running lean (lean in this case is fine).

If it is overfueling be careful as the fuel can wash the oil off of the bores and cause wear. Oil analysis kits can confirm fuel dilution if you think it is running rich, only cost $33 and results back in a week.

Could be a number of problems. But how is the tune, who did it? Is it spitting out oil or fuel?

The smoke when not at operating temperature could be caused by the temperature enrichment being far too high. Again on the over run the injectors could still be pumping fuel in to get around running lean (lean in this case is fine).

If it is overfueling be careful as the fuel can wash the oil off of the bores and cause wear. Oil analysis kits can confirm fuel dilution if you think it is running rich, only cost $33 and results back in a week.

its definatly oil man, my coolent temp enrich is high but its definatly oil.

i did a compression test last night, compression was ok

did a leak down test too only between 4-8% leak down which tells me its not glazed bores and not getting blow by.

the spark plugs where nearly dripping of oil though and there was a pool of oil sitting ontop of the pistons

its either valve stem seals or valve guides, id think?

its definatly oil man, my coolent temp enrich is high but its definatly oil.

i did a compression test last night, compression was ok

did a leak down test too only between 4-8% leak down which tells me its not glazed bores and not getting blow by.

the spark plugs where nearly dripping of oil though and there was a pool of oil sitting ontop of the pistons

its either valve stem seals or valve guides, id think?

yeah its gotta be something in the head... like i said, your seals probably went hard from lack of oil for however long, and now they are shot.