ZZE Corolla reliability

Hey guys,

Just wondering how reliable your ZZE corolla's are... in terms of everything really... mechanical, electricals, suspension etc.

I haven't had a single problem with my ZZE Ascent since the day it left the Showroom in December 2002 and now with 85,200KMs on the clock. Not a single problem AT ALL.

Basically this is how I go with my ZZE...

- Just change the oil every 5000-6000KMs and that's about it

- I've had one front brake pad replacement (I still had 30% pad left but I decided to change them anyway with another set of OEM pads).

- Change transmission oil every 40,000KMs

- An air filter change every 20,000KMs

- Spark plugs every 40,000KMs (just did them earlier again this year at 80K)

I did replace a center console though because the flappy middle lid broke while I was installing the new audio... but I can't blame the car because that was my fault! :P

Then earlier this year I made the worst decision ever... I bought a 2002 AU series III Ford Falcon wagon. It's been problem after problem with that car... engine, suspension and now electrical. I'm so desperate to flog it off and buy a Camry wagon or the like. I was even going to sell my ZZE at one point but luckily I kept it because of the long rego I still had on it!

So how are your ZZE's going guys?

Then earlier this year I made the worst decision ever... I bought a 2002 AU series III Ford Falcon wagon. It's been problem after problem with that car... engine, suspension and now electrical. I'm so desperate to flog it off and buy a Camry wagon or the like. I was even going to sell my ZZE at one point but luckily I kept it because of the long rego I still had on it!

The ford is sh*t, my flatmate got 2 of them (200? falcon wagon), and both having the same problems with not starting up sometimes..

My workmate got a XR6, and got problems in changing the clutch, the mechanic said it is a design fault of the gearbox..

Early version of ZZE in USA got excess engine oil consumption, and oil slump problem, here is the details

http://www.corolland.com/sludge.html However, Toyota claims it is the consumer fault, and the consumer claim it it Toyota fault.

Edited by ben yip

Hey Evan! Haven't seen you in a while!! I hear you have the TRD blower now? :) Gotta meet up one day and let me have a peek at the goodies under the bonnet!

As for my ZZE, i think i have given it plenty of punishment.

80,000km on NA, driven pretty hard with a few track days thrown in for good measure. Never skipped a beat.

25,000km on Supercharger, TRD blower, runs pretty hot and still puts up with the punishment. I had a Power FC by then, but the motor is still mechanically sound

30,000km on turbo setup, running about 13psi boost, changed to ecu to Vipec, but again mechnically the motor has not skipped a beat.

The motor is left untouched internally, so all the Toyota magic is still there. No alternator or a/c issues either.

I think it'll be hard to beat in terms of reliability, at 135,000kms on the clock still eating up 13psi of boost and have never gone back to toyota for a service once, i think it doesn't get any better than that!

i'v had my 2002 corolla for 3 1/2 years,, got it on 44,000km and now coming onto 200,000km, and done at least 4 track days in it.

cars been mod'd and then returned to almost stock (suspension and brakes only)

was serviced every 5,000km up untill about 12 months ago (when i stoped tracking it) now service every 10,000km.

the last 156,000km has only tasted premium petrol, last week i averaged 7lt per 100km..

they say 1 lap is equivalent to 1000km wear and tear, last track day i did 26 laps around winton.

fuel and services has cost me a small fortune (at one stage i was servicing every 5-6 weeks) but i would not change it for anything.. great car..

mums got a zze 2002 sedan. 140,000km on the clock. never misses a service. Has only needed to change the brakes. At the moment it vibrates alot at idle so will have a look at that at the next service. Besides that, its running strong!

i'v had my 2002 corolla for 3 1/2 years,, got it on 44,000km and now coming onto 200,000km, and done at least 4 track days in it.

cars been mod'd and then returned to almost stock (suspension and brakes only)

was serviced every 5,000km up untill about 12 months ago (when i stoped tracking it) now service every 10,000km.

the last 156,000km has only tasted premium petrol, last week i averaged 7lt per 100km..

they say 1 lap is equivalent to 1000km wear and tear, last track day i did 26 laps around winton.

fuel and services has cost me a small fortune (at one stage i was servicing every 5-6 weeks) but i would not change it for anything.. great car..

44,000KMs to 200,000KMs in the space of 3.5 years? WOW, that's a lot of driving you do! Mine does 6000KMs a year. I use it two or three times a week to go to uni and back, otherwise it sits dormant under a blanket in the garage. :)

When I used to work, I worked at the pub around the corner so it would be a 2 minute drive to and from the place. :D

Mine has never tasted e10, just pure unleaded or more recently, BP Ultimate 98. :D

Edited by stevo1210