SuperCharger!

Hey all,

So I was just surfing ebay and talking to some wreckers and found out that recond superchargers (or ones that u pull out of any old wreck) are pretty cheap.

So what do u guys reakon will be needed to go a cheapo supercharge job on an auto 1zze?

I figured that the TRD kit is pretty much the supercharger, a new manifold and a piggyback ECU (is that all? someone pls correct me?)

So what do u guys reakon?

about 400 bucks for a supercharger

another 500(?) for a new manifold

and another about 500 bucks(?) for a unichip.

possible for a cheap supercharge job?

no, u need 5th injector, and no unichip cost more than 500 dollars to be fitted and tuned. 2000-3000 is more like it i say for proper fit s/c with all the parts u need. Mt friend fitted s/c from 4agze onto his Mirage and it cost him $4000 to get everything right.

It is possible negatron to get a super charger job done for 1k - I have investigated and it is quite possible using something like a reconditioned Soarer S/C.

HOWEVER - any other super charger you try and fit into the 1zzfe engine bay will require you to chop your air conditioning - remove it comepletely. The only S/C that fits properly is the TRD 1.8L 1zzfe one.

That being said, you dont NEED a new manifold and you dont NEED a piggyback ECU, they are simply required to get usage out of your supercharger. You can also add on an intercooler to get more power. So for a half decent on the cheap install it would cost about

1000 + 1500 (unichip + tune) + 500 (custom manifold) + 600 (intercooler) =

3600 + no more air con.

Comparitively a TRD job will cost 5-6k with no loss of air con & tuning

So if you want it done properly there is no cheap way, but if you really couldnt give a toss about engine longevity and you live in a temperate climate, etc. if you have a spare grand go for it.

The TRD unit is certainly good value considering the gains. Believe me I've done the sums and research on it.

It's quite well thought out, being designed to bolt on and operate with all existing engine ancilaries.

It replaces the existing inlet plenum and the fifth injector is a nice touch both ensuring the engine doesn't lean out at high rpm and also giving a cooling effect to the engine.

And there's alot of users in the US who run it reliably with no problems to talk of, in fact, they seem to have a preference to supercharging 1zz's rather than buying 2zz's.

Only thing is, Unlike in the US there's no support here at all for it, once you have it, you're on your own and I certainly wouldn't want to take that risk.

The ECU they sell with it in the US isn't suitable for the AUS spec rolla, so that's why Danz said just purchase without ECU.

If you have an auto then your best bet is to get that TRD ecu.

Not many aftermarket ecu's around have the ability to run an automatic well... if at all. (talking about adding forced induction to the car in particular... piggyback system won't work well at all on a stock ecu... especially since the stock one can't see 5th injector)

Motec would be the only one I would recommend.. but then your paying a whole crap load of money and ruining the cheapness idea.

Some say the TRD is too much. But a 30 percent increase for 6000 dollars, may not seems to be unfair at all. Considering we get the reliability. Somehow, you can compare this with N/A tunings, like, what I did to my engine shown an increase of around 21 percent, a total of 1000-1200 dollars parts. If you look at it that way, the TRD S/C doesn't sound reasonable at all. But combine what I did to my engine atm with the trd s/c , the power is not 30 percent plus 21 percent, its gotta be bigger than that. 200 horses on the wheels is proven on many US owners, by intake, header and s/c kit.

That's around 153kw at the wheels for 6000 s/c kit (bigger pulley and ecu included) + 1000-1200 cai and exhaust (inc header). So for around $7000 = 153kw at wheels, I say the TRD S/C is worth it if u choose to go F/I, and all that with reliability. Guaranteed to work.

Data gain are from US owner, so don't flame me.

Edited by Danz