DIY - Changing Gearbox Oil

Kenshin X

Disclaimer: Neither TOCAU nor I take responsibility if you damage or blow up your car in any way. Do this DIY at your own risk!

Time to change that gearbox oil? This guide will show you how

Things you need:

Bucket/Drainer for oil

15/16 Socket and wrench (ZZE122)

17mm Socket and wrench (ZZE123)

"Size 30" Allen key with wrench (ZZE122 Ascent/Sport/Levin etc.)

Gearbox oil of your choice (refer to owners manual for recommended weight) + Nulon G70 Additive 125ml (optional)

ZZE122 5 spd takes 1.9L

ZZE123 6 spd takes 2.3L

Floor jack and jack stands

Dirty Rags

Muscles

2011-09-27202346.jpg

2011-06-13164554.jpg

1) Use the floor jack to jack up the car from the front.

2) Place one jack stand on the drivers side of the car and lower the car. This will help you get access to the sump plug from under the car.

This is the sump plug you are looking for...

2011-09-27192236.jpg

Use the 15/16 Socket to remove it and let the oil drain, in my picture the oil wasn't dirty or used much (you are meant to change every 50k or 30k if you operate gearbox in harsh conditions) but for the sake if this guide I have done it again as I needed to replace the unknown oil the mechanic used to replace when they inspection my car during insurance work.

2011-09-27195431.jpg

if the oil is black and runny like water, you BETTER CHANGE IT!

this is what the gearbox sump plug looks like

2011-09-27200624.jpg

After finished draining, bolt the sump plug tight (just nip it up, no need to superman strength) and remove the jack stands and lower the car.

If you have the 5spd manual you are to remove the filler plug circled in red with the size 30 allen key.

If you have the 6spd manual you are to remove the filler plug circled in green with the 17mm socket wrench.

(Thanks to Superdave for the picture ;))

P1080886.jpg

I only took a picture of the 6spd box filler plug, the other one should be clear from the picture :)

2011-09-27201809.jpg

depending on your gearbox, you have to fill up with the correct amount of fluid...

AGAIN

5 spd gearbox = 1.9L and USE THE ALLEN KEY FILLER PLUG

6 spd gearbox = 2.3L and USE THE HEX FILLER PLUG

If you are using the additive, Put in 1L of fluid first like so

2011-09-27202047.jpg

and then squirt the G70 inside

2011-09-27202632.jpg

then fill up the rest of the oil to capacity, taking care NOT to overfill the gearbox with oil!

Once your done just clean up and replace the filler plug where it was and enjoy smoother shifting!

Enjoy! B)

Handy, but it skips over THE most important thing when changing gearbox oil - ALWAYS undo (or at least loosen) the fill plug before you undo the drain plug. It is extremely annoying to drain the fluid only to find that your fill plug is rusted tight and rounded off, and you're left with an empty gearbox and no way to fill it...

Handy, but it skips over THE most important thing when changing gearbox oil - ALWAYS undo (or at least loosen) the fill plug before you undo the drain plug. It is extremely annoying to drain the fluid only to find that your fill plug is rusted tight and rounded off, and you're left with an empty gearbox and no way to fill it...

good point, i did loosen the filler plug before i loosened the drain plug, just forgot to put it on the guide :ninja:

should also point out that it's recommended you replace the metal crush gaskets for both the drain and filler plugs. they're $2 each from toyota

another good point, i didn't think of that :P i just used the original ones as they still looked ok

you can also funnel a tube through the engine bay to fill it up, i think 10mm one from bunnings for $4. some gearbox oil packs don't have that particular nozzle and the engine bay is a pretty packed area.

• 3 weeks later...

hey duy, great write up. is it as simple as changing motor oil? my gearbox oil is still from factory i think. well in need of a change.

if u aren't far i'll help you change it, just pm me and we'll organise a time for it to be done.

• 1 year later...

Hi. I followed this guide yesterday to change my Sportivo's gearbox oil to fix a bit of noise and notchy gears (which seemed to work by the way), but I only used up 2 litres and a bit. I was trying to put 2.3 litres in, but oil started coming out of the filler hole. I'm a bit confused as to why that happened, and does that mean I've overfilled the gearbox? Is that even possible to do since the oil starts coming out?

Yup, exactly as shown in the picture, and 2 litres of my oil went in, so it was the right hole. I'm thinking maybe there was residual oil and the car was on a slight slant when I filled it up. Is there like an oil dipstick for the gearbox, or is it electronic and a light will show up on the dash when the oil is low?

Most manual gearboxes don't have a dipstick, you just fill them up to the level of the fill plug (which coincidentally makes them next to impossible to over-fill). Since gearboxes don't consume oil (unless you have a leak) there's no real need to check the level regularly like you do for the sump

• 1 year later...

I've changed my oil in my '07 hilux sr5 manual. The reason for this is that it was getting hard to get out of 5th gear. Still is. Reverse is also hard to engage also. The clutch is an Exceedy (?) HD 4wd 12 months old and does a lot of towing. Its fine.

I lost a bit of oil from a blocked breather (I assume...) as the oil came from the top of the box. Pressurised, then blew its load everywhere!

Hopefully the box is ok, as I'm in Qld on holidays, but from Melbourne!

Any suggestions???

I've changed my oil in my '07 hilux sr5 manual. The reason for this is that it was getting hard to get out of 5th gear. Still is. Reverse is also hard to engage also. The clutch is an Exceedy (?) HD 4wd 12 months old and does a lot of towing. Its fine.

I lost a bit of oil from a blocked breather (I assume...) as the oil came from the top of the box. Pressurised, then blew its load everywhere!

Hopefully the box is ok, as I'm in Qld on holidays, but from Melbourne!

Any suggestions???

You have posted this in the wrong section. I suggest you post it in the Hilux section.