2zz Worn Cam lobe and Rocker

Hey guys ive found out that my sportivo had a worn cam lobe and rocker anyone else had this problem...? on the inlet side of the cams apparently all exhaust side were fine just inlet side... How much for an inlet cam and rockers? Anyone know?

When the mechanic who is a friend pulled off the cams there is a lip on the cam of where its worn it's pretty common in these motor alot of the lotus's have cam wearing issue and a guess slot of sportivo would aswell but I guess no one really checks to see if they are worm and it's only on one cam lobe

I too had a look at my cams, albeit at only aroud 70k km. Seemed to be no excessive wearing. I haven't really heard much from the guys over in the US about it either, although I haven't been in this scene for over a year now :unsure:

Anyways MWR would be my place to go to as well to get a new cam, but you might wanna suss the problem out. Something else could be 'out' that's causing the excessive wear on your cams.

Btw are they stock cams/valvetrain?

I have seen this problem on a number of occasions. I see a lot of 2ZZ-GE engines as I have race built at least 50 of them.

The problem seems quite random, but careful run-in of the high lift cams does seem to be quite beneficial. That is short bursts on lift initially then gradually extending the time on lift.

High quality clean oil, of course helps. The engines are very intolerant of overdue oil changes.

Neil

Have to agree with Neil on this one. It sounds like you have a car that hasnt had regular oil changes or has been using crap oil. Just before I sold mine I had the cam cover off as I had it polished and inspected everything for the sake of it and with 113 000ks on it the cams were perfect. I always ran Penrite semi synthetic oil from day one.

The problem seems quite random, but careful run-in of the high lift cams does seem to be quite beneficial. That is short bursts on lift initially then gradually extending the time on lift.

Would the usual aftermarket cam (piper) break in of a 3000rpm idle be enough for those cams? I know lift isn't engaged, but would there be enough forces going through the lobe and slipper follower to wear it in? Got 20k on the piper cams (with no shortage of lift use) and they too have no signs of damage, just another curiosity question.