Brake Upgrade - 1989 Camry

89Camry

Good evening all,

Its been a while,and currently my cam is in the workshop having some 'upgrades' done. Sadly she had been sitting broken for quite some time.

Currently I'm drawing some blanks that I'm hoping the some of the more mechanically minded members can help.

I currently have rear drum brakes and st165 Celica front brakes with slotted rotors. I'm upping the power of the car and was hoping to get into some larger/stronger brakes, but trying to find something that will fit is proving a challenge. I know a vsv21 V6 Gen 2 camry rear discs will fit, and I'm looking for bigger front brakes, if its possible or viable. I'm open to all options and opinions.

My thanks in advance,

Greg

You have the E153 box in that now dont you? Makes me wonder if you could use the hubs from a Gen 3 or 4 Camry, but then of course you would need to change your wheels. I think the Caldina and most Celicas up to the ZZ series run the same stud pattern. Not sure of the offsets though and where the caliper mounting bolts are in the same postion.

Hey mate!

I think the v6 hub idea would be the best. I remember you saying you were going to change your wheels so this might be the best time to covert to the 5 studs. Then depending on the size of the wheels you are going for you could use something like the Gen6 camry brakes, the kluger fronts. Both of which are pretty much bolt on and they are a lot bigger!

Swap to gen 3 Camry hubs + gen 6 rotor/caliper combo, gen 3 strut, gen 2 strut top

Grab gen 3 or 4 hubs for the rears

If you do the rears, a Gen5/6 (same over both generations) rear brake upgrade as well.

edit: I am 99% certain you can grab hubs from a Gen3/4/5 which will fit.

Where are u located? I have a complete left hand side hub assembly from a Kluger (left over from brake upgrade) which u can have for free. (im in western sydney)

Im assuming it should also work? (only have one side though)

• 3 weeks later...

i got a set of Gen 5 camry brake Caliper and Rotor if they can help you out! :unsure:

PM me if you needed!

Not even worth using them, I think the Gen 5 are the worst brake setup Toyota used on the Camry's(hence why guys upgrade). Would be just as easy and as cost effective to run the Gen 3 calipers and hubs and Gen 6 rotors.

Not even worth using them, I think the Gen 5 are the worst brake setup Toyota used on the Camry's(hence why guys upgrade). Would be just as easy and as cost effective to run the Gen 3 calipers and hubs and Gen 6 rotors.

Actually, Gen 4 calipers are by far the worst (of the Camrys that share the same hub). The Gen 5 braking system was a big upgrade on the previous generation by a country mile in both the front and rear (gonna hand over my rears to Anthony when i go TRD).

but given the little difference in cost vs what you get.between Gen5 and 6, you'd be a fool to not spend the.little extra.

Edit: Main reason why we upgrade is because the setup inadequate under constant aggressive driving (such as Nebo) but otherwise is an adequate setup.

With the power Greg is running, the Gen 5's won't be enough regardless. You don't have that power and drive like a little b*tch(on the track of course).

You are right, I completely forgot about the Gen 4.

hey guys,

Thanks for all the responses. As some of you know I'm not the most mechanically minded person, so I don't really know what will fit and what won't.

Unfortunately I've had to hold off on the upgrade as its been dragging on a while at the mechanic and I need the car back to drive. So sadly it will have to wait a bit.

Another annoying thing has arisen. I have been getting intermittent vibrations through my steering wheel that the mechanic has now told me isn't in the hub or alignment. so it must be in the steering system somewhere... apparently. Now I don't have power steering (crazy I know, but the car never came with it) so does anyone have any ideas where the vibration might be coming from at all?

I only seems to show up noticeably at higher speeds (80km/h plus). I don't know if it matters, but I do have very stiff coilover suspension on the car.

Recommendations for good mechanics in Brisbane Southside would be great as well.

Thanks again all.

If there is nothing loose in the suspension, there is a good chance the rotors could be warped or even a possibility that if the car has been sitting for a long time, the tyres could be deformed.