1989 White Lightning Celica

Qoppoq

Hey guys,

Last year Late July I bought a 1989 White lightning celica and it has been a great car, the body is straight except for the sunroof, it is rusted and the motor wont move it back only up and down, is this a common issue and does anyone know where I can get a sunroof that isn't rusted that will fit, I have been looking for quite some time and would like to get it fixed.

Thanks

Hey guys,

Last year Late July I bought a 1989 White lightning celica and it has been a great car, the body is straight except for the sunroof, it is rusted and the motor wont move it back only up and down, is this a common issue and does anyone know where I can get a sunroof that isn't rusted that will fit, I have been looking for quite some time and would like to get it fixed.

Thanks

Yes it is extremely common (almost a standard feature actually) that the ST162 sunroofs rust like it is going out of fashion. Unfortunately, unless you can score a perfect NOS panel or a minter that has been garaged for its whole life, your only real option is trying to find a fibreglass/glass reproduction (they come up from time to time on eBay, but usually overseas). Wouldn't be surprising too if the fault with the slide function is simply the rust expanding the panel so much that it jams in the slides, ours has the exact same issue.

So what would be my next best move as I have been searching for a fair while for a sunroof?

Tried getting a quote from a panel-beaters? You might be able to pop the welds holding the top skin on and get a new panel (since it's relatively flat), but quite often the rust has spread throughout it and you need a new one.

Keep an eye out at wreckers too, especially one that strips the cars and keeps the panels indoors (as they'll be in better condition, the ones in the yard will be nothing but rust and air).

i wouldnt bother with trying to get it fixed.. it will prob rust again... it took me a year to hunt one down with no rust.. its almost impossible.. you could go onto ebay motors UK and look at the fibreglass ones from poland(about 50 pound i think).. or toyota still have them... 700 each and 150 for the seal..

Or go have a chat to some of the old school motor resto ppl.. ones that do alot of hot rod stuff.. they might be able to fabricate you one.

Edited by ST165SA

• 3 months later...

Sorry its been a while guys had some stuff going on, I ended up getting a perfect fibre glass one from poland of all places. So its in the process of getting fixed now and then my car is perfect. Only downside is I am now looking to sell haha.

Sorry its been a while guys had some stuff going on, I ended up getting a perfect fibre glass one from poland of all places. So its in the process of getting fixed now and then my car is perfect. Only downside is I am now looking to sell haha.

What was the quality like on the Polish one? I remember seeing them ages ago but wasn't really keen on buying something unseen and untested from halfway around the world..

Also selling mine so not really much use to me, but the next owner (who is also on here) I'm sure would be keen to know.

Yea it was really good quality and fits perfectly, like I said now my car is 100% for what I wanted from it, but I then bought a BMW haha. When I get some pictures I'll put it up!!

hey there,

Hiro..> i found this on them...

http://cccb.the-talk.net/t49-kieren-s-st162-sx-builds

takes a while to find what im talking about... {so ill copy it..}

Also had the sun-roof replaced with a fiberglass version I found on ebay for about $100. icon_biggrin.png Win for me until recently I started to get the fiberglass move around when it got hot, and it started to fade.. :/ So either a glass repalcement or metal one to be replaced.

which is why i'm a gonna be creating my own fiberglass one.. {set in this climate should prevent this from happening???}{further details to come.. I might be intrested in making some for some people... dont know as yet... see how mine turn out..}

Peace