2002 Camry Sportivo

queequeg

Ok, weird thing happening, the other day i pushed the button to lock the doors, the indicators flashed once and the doors locked. few moments later the horns started beeping, for some time before I could get it to stop. Today its down it twice, once when I locked and went into a store, I came out and it was beeping, this car hasn't got an alarm, just keyless entry and a engine immobiliser. And the other when at someones house. It is driving me nuts. Why couldn't they leave cars 80s and simple instead of this tech stuff.

any reason for this?

it's done it to me today but this time unlocking the car.

It happens with either keyless remote (have 2), and it happens also while using the key to unlock/lock.

i think you might be activating the "alarm thing" (wait ill get back to you on that i read it in the manual somewhere) where you press the button and hold for more than 3 seconds the "alarm" activates.

or there could be dirt underneath the button thing which is making it press it.

• Like 1

i think you might be activating the "alarm thing" (wait ill get back to you on that i read it in the manual somewhere) where you press the button and hold for more than 3 seconds the "alarm" activates.

or there could be dirt underneath the button thing which is making it press it.

That's right, you can trigger the alarm manually by pressing and holding the unlock/lock button on your remote.

i'm aware of that and I have not been holding the button long enough to set it off, i only give it a quick press and it'll lock/unlock ok. I don't know how dirt could get in there as it is all sealed. As I said this has happened by using the key as well.

Edited by queequeg

it did it again just now as i got home, i quickly pushed the button, it locked, then 5-10 seconds later, it unlocked itself and off went the horn, and the flashing indicators, i did all i could but it wouldn't stop, i put key in the door, ignition, started it, tried pushing the button and nothing worked, it kept going, and going, and going, i reefed the horn out for now. what else could i do, its ridiculous.

I dont know if this will make a difference, you can remove the Negative battery connection for about a minute then plug it back in.

Maybe an ECU reset aswell.

Your best bet maybe to get it checked out......

haven't had a chance to get the problem looked at yet, but I had a different version of this today, when I was walking towards the car, i never pressed the keyless button, and it did it, I wonder if there's a signal problem with the keyless remotes or something. Is there a way you can reset anything or everything?

and another new weird thing today, the stupid car locked me in. Unclocked it, sat it, shut the door, and it locked, no matter what I did it wouldn't unlock for ages, even if i pull the lock button on the handle, it just lock again, I had to climb out the window. I this model seem to be problematic, I was talking to a lady at work and she has the same model camry except its an Ateva, she said her car has been doing the locking thing on her, so it seems to be more than a one off i reckon. Anyway I've booked into a toyota dealer for next week, i'm worried that it could be too expensive than what I will be able to afford but there's no one else that can do this sort of thing here.

• 6 months later...

I have a 2003 Sportivo and have the same problem. It will play up nearly all the time for a few days then be fine for weeks. I find when it wont lock, leave it for a few minutes or half hour and it works.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, I have the same problem other day I parked my car and as I start walking alarm go off and it's happend 2 times in day I don't know what to do. I have another question please anyone can help me I recently bought 2002 Camry sportivo v6 but the priviouse owner only gave me one key I don't have remote key so any one can tell me how and where I can get remote key in Sydney.