200 series traction control

djluckie

Hi guys just wondering if Im supose to here the mechanism that engages the traction control I drive up the beach a bit when it hits real soft sand I get a beep beep beep dash "light with car skidding" comes on and a greating greating sound under the car sounds like a cable rubbing or electric motor engaging some thing need to know if its normal or i need to get it fixed brought this beast 2nd hand great vehicle though . ps also did it on bitumin once wet and greasy so nothing hitting underneath thanks

Hi Geoffrey,

Yes, this is normal - this is exactly what it is designed to do. As you found on bitumen when wet/greasy, the traction control kicks in to ensure the vehicles stability and all 4 (2 actually, but that is another story) wheels are driving.

The noise you are hearing mostly, is the brakes coming on and off - very much like ABS breaking. It forces the power to the other wheel, which (in theory) has traction.

All this should be in the manual somewhere

Regards

Geoff

Ah cool thanks thought that was the case I actualy practised an emergency break manoover when i first got the vehicle had simmiler noise thouhgt that must be abs good to know these things :D