Puddle Lights For The Boot (Smart Entry)

u54mot

There is the obvious choice of just wiring it into the internal boot light, and hence the puddle lights will turn on when the boot is open, but that is too easy.

For Smart Entry vehicles, the boot will only open when you are in proximity of the boot with the key, and then you press the button on the boot lid. Hence there must be a point where the power becomes activated, for you to open the boot. This is when I would like for the lights to come on.

So the question is, where should I wire the puddle lights to, so this would happen.

Thanks.

There is the obvious choice of just wiring it into the internal boot light, and hence the puddle lights will turn on when the boot is open, but that is too easy.

For Smart Entry vehicles, the boot will only open when you are in proximity of the boot with the key, and then you press the button on the boot lid. Hence there must be a point where the power becomes activated, for you to open the boot. This is when I would like for the lights to come on.

So the question is, where should I wire the puddle lights to, so this would happen.

Thanks.

The smart entry system uses a sensor that communicates directly to the body control module (BCM). In essence, when you are near the sensor with an emitter (being the key fob), the sensor detects it and its unique signal and informs the BCM, which confirms if the signal is the correct one. If so, when the boot switch makes a request to the BCM (upon pressing the button above the number plate) to open the boot, the BCM activates power to the lid lock solenoid and wallah, your boot opens.

What this means is that there isn't a 12v line that suddenly becomes active when you stand in front of the boot. A similar exchange takes place when you stand near the car doors, in that the interior illumination will activate which you could use for door floodlights, but this isn't the case with the boot lid obviously.

At this time I can't think of a straightforward method to accomplish what you are trying without actually opening the boot. There are other methods I can think of but they would activate the boot flood lights when you were present elsewhere around the car (ie about to open the drivers door).