help needed!! what upgrades should i start with

webjet

hey guys/girls what parts would i need im thinking headers but i can only find gt-4 headers but they where the usa models correct?? pod filter? will it help with proformance anything eles u would reckomend im on my p's so sadly no turbo.

Edited by webjet

*upgraded camshafts, they change the lift and duration of the valve opening/closing*

so by it changeing lift the the value opening and closing does it provide faster acceloration or a higher top speed?

*upgraded camshafts, they change the lift and duration of the valve opening/closing*

so by it changeing lift the the value opening and closing does it provide faster acceloration or a higher top speed?

genrally speaking it leads to more power/torque... so yeah faster accelleration and potenitally higher top speed.

but upgrading cams alone is pointles, and the extra supporting mods would run 1000s and 1000s of $

ok now for handleing what should i get? what do coil overs do? also the stuff that if u run over a nail ect it fills the whole with a gel type thingy whats it called and were do i get it from?

ok now for handleing what should i get? what do coil overs do? also the stuff that if u run over a nail ect it fills the whole with a gel type thingy whats it called and were do i get it from?

you could get coil-overs. uprated swaybard, strut braces, etc.

That stuff is tyre slime. you are better off carrying a spare.

If you want power you are not going to get far beyond a set of extractors from Genie which will imporve breathing and a pod filter for noise. Suspension i think start with braces depedning on how old the suspension is, its the same srtut braces as the Gt4 i am pretty sure.

Do a little bit of research and find out what other people do when starting out with a car. Read on other peoples ride threads, and get to know the car and its characteristics with certain mods.

Before you do anything to your car, make sure you know what you will be using it for, how much money you want to spend, if its legal and of course what are the benefits of certain mods.

HTH

whistling.gif your patience knows no bounds on tocau Mick >.<

Hey Webjet,

Dude, as a fellow celica owner, i'll tell you now its in your best interests to find out this information yourself and not rely too heavily on forums and brand names.

If you really are interested in modding and cars in general (i understand you just got on P's but..) you should be more than happy to put in the time to read up and learn everything you can on your celica, THEN ask your questions.

Take in everything you read both good and bad and form your own opinions, but dont just pick something because of a brand name or because someone says to buy one.

there is some damn good threads on here worth the time reading each with various different set ups, none are the same, technically dont limit yourself to just celicas, camry ones can prove helpful too depending on what mods you intend on doing but remember they could be running a completely different set up to yours with different goals/outcomes, its good to read up on your cars capabilities and the options you have before you blow a large amount of money on it.

I would recommend you try utilising the search bar a little more yourself though in future instead of expecting answers to be tube fed..

look up things like coilovers, sway bars, pods, cams or celica builds there a alot of members on tocau who've been on years and have had to deal with the same newbies asking the same things again and again just because they are too lazy/uneducated to look for the answers, please dont turn into one, people will ignore you.

Im not ripping on you here at all mate, and i hope its not coming across as so but as a fairly inexperienced modder myself i wanna encourage you to learn what your doing to your car and how it will affect it before you worry about how fast it will go, or what its top speed is.

Cars shouldn't be looked at as, "hey mines faster" go kart crap... theyre all the exact same car, weight, motor, kms, , this relies soley on the drivers skill level.

The variables on each car you modify can be drastically different to anothers.

But a good base is the key to a good build... well that or a bloke with a bigger wallet than yours to begin with.

Wow didnt realise how long this got, my apologies, but please consider doing some research.

For your celica general things you can modify are

air intake

pod filters

forced induction-turbo's(future) You can always build up the internals on your P's then blow or charge it when you get your full licence. :)

Engine internals,

crank,

cams, rods,

pistons

engine decoration,painted valve covers, coloured tubing, braided lines engine cosmetics etc

Call it maintenance but you could be amazed what an oil/radiator/injector flush, new pump/filters and spark plugs/leads can improve your car, no joke.

Not newbie recommended but you could look into getting your timing advanced/retarded.

Externals (i am about to be kicked just for mentioning it but...)

bodykits,

custom paint jobs

lips,

bars,

spoilers,

wings,

lambo doors

all the super rice stuff.

fog lights

aftermarket headlights/indicators parkers, HID kits

Interior

impressive sound systems

steering wheels, knobs, pedals, seat covers or custom fabricated door trims, racing seats, paint, decals blah blah..

air horns

wheels and suspension

could look into aftermarkets struts/springs, OR, coilovers which are more street/track use and you'd want to contemplate if it was something you would benefit with regarding setup.

decent set of rims and good tyres can be the difference between a tree and a safe ride.

sway bars, strut bars are good

Exhaust

full sports exhaust upgrade size, quality,

high flow cat

cannon

extractors/headers- these make quite a noticable performance difference with a stock 5sfe and depending on brand, they dont look half bad laugh.gif

Anyway i think theres more than enough info you can further look into to get you well on your way to modding up your car the way you want it.

Good luck dude and i hope this helps, ill be eager to see your progress in the members rides section.cool.gif

• 2 weeks later...

whistling.gif your patience knows no bounds on tocau Mick >.<

Hey Webjet,

Dude, as a fellow celica owner, i'll tell you now its in your best interests to find out this information yourself and not rely too heavily on forums and brand names.

If you really are interested in modding and cars in general (i understand you just got on P's but..) you should be more than happy to put in the time to read up and learn everything you can on your celica, THEN ask your questions.

Take in everything you read both good and bad and form your own opinions, but dont just pick something because of a brand name or because someone says to buy one.

there is some damn good threads on here worth the time reading each with various different set ups, none are the same, technically dont limit yourself to just celicas, camry ones can prove helpful too depending on what mods you intend on doing but remember they could be running a completely different set up to yours with different goals/outcomes, its good to read up on your cars capabilities and the options you have before you blow a large amount of money on it.

I would recommend you try utilising the search bar a little more yourself though in future instead of expecting answers to be tube fed..

look up things like coilovers, sway bars, pods, cams or celica builds there a alot of members on tocau who've been on years and have had to deal with the same newbies asking the same things again and again just because they are too lazy/uneducated to look for the answers, please dont turn into one, people will ignore you.

Im not ripping on you here at all mate, and i hope its not coming across as so but as a fairly inexperienced modder myself i wanna encourage you to learn what your doing to your car and how it will affect it before you worry about how fast it will go, or what its top speed is.

Cars shouldn't be looked at as, "hey mines faster" go kart crap... theyre all the exact same car, weight, motor, kms, , this relies soley on the drivers skill level.

The variables on each car you modify can be drastically different to anothers.

But a good base is the key to a good build... well that or a bloke with a bigger wallet than yours to begin with.

Wow didnt realise how long this got, my apologies, but please consider doing some research.

For your celica general things you can modify are

air intake

pod filters

forced induction-turbo's(future) You can always build up the internals on your P's then blow or charge it when you get your full licence. :)

Engine internals,

crank,

cams, rods,

pistons

engine decoration,painted valve covers, coloured tubing, braided lines engine cosmetics etc

Call it maintenance but you could be amazed what an oil/radiator/injector flush, new pump/filters and spark plugs/leads can improve your car, no joke.

Not newbie recommended but you could look into getting your timing advanced/retarded.

Externals (i am about to be kicked just for mentioning it but...)

bodykits,

custom paint jobs

lips,

bars,

spoilers,

wings,

lambo doors

all the super rice stuff.

fog lights

aftermarket headlights/indicators parkers, HID kits

Interior

impressive sound systems

steering wheels, knobs, pedals, seat covers or custom fabricated door trims, racing seats, paint, decals blah blah..

air horns

wheels and suspension

could look into aftermarkets struts/springs, OR, coilovers which are more street/track use and you'd want to contemplate if it was something you would benefit with regarding setup.

decent set of rims and good tyres can be the difference between a tree and a safe ride.

sway bars, strut bars are good

Exhaust

full sports exhaust upgrade size, quality,

high flow cat

cannon

extractors/headers- these make quite a noticable performance difference with a stock 5sfe and depending on brand, they dont look half bad laugh.gif

Anyway i think theres more than enough info you can further look into to get you well on your way to modding up your car the way you want it.

Good luck dude and i hope this helps, ill be eager to see your progress in the members rides section.cool.gif

hey thanks that helps alot but im have trouble finding after market tail lights eg: clear or smoked tail lights. also will 1992/1993 parts fit on a 1991 model cause its hard finding the parts for it?

Yep your celica is in the 90-93 range so anything from a 1990,1991,1992,1993 model will fit/interchangable.

As for smoked/led/altezza tail lights for our models... They do not exist at all unfortunately.

You can get crystal/clear/black lights kits, but it'll only include front bar indicators, side indicators, parkers and headlights.

You can if you wish custom smoke your tail lights yourself, you will need to pull them apart, clean them up and use a tint-spray called nightshade.

There is a tutorial of smoking tail lights on here somewhere if not try google, theres a tonne of guys who've done this manually to their celicas.

• 1 month later...

Hey, Webjet

Completley agree with Kirius

But for bang for buck def look into suspension, will make your car feel so much quicker then your obvious H-I-E upgrades.

i have a 1990 celica SX, has a short ram intake, and G4 26 way coilovers. running 2 degrees Neg camber it feels that much quicker..

also, depending on Kms, try replacing your dizzy, leads and coil and you may feel a slight increase in throttle response and acceleration off the line, also try advancing ignition timing to id say no more then 15 degrees (standard was 10) make sure you run 98 petrol tho.

Other then that i wouldnt bother pouring x000$ into your 5SFE wouldnt be worth it unless your talking asipration, cams etc etc

Kirius hit the nail on the head tho, read up on everything about your car and engine find out everything you can, it helps alot, im 18 had my Ps for 6 months and i know alot about my car and if theres something i dont understand, ill research it not because i have to, because it interests me..

Best of luck tho,

Ethan